MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

140215-google_cloud_print_ios.jpg

Google today announced the launch of new support for the company's Cloud Print service on mobile devices such as those running iOS 3.0 or later. The service allows users to print documents and emails directly from Gmail's mobile interface.
Imagine printing an important document from your smartphone on the way to work and finding the printout waiting for you when you walk in the door. Just open a document in Google Docs or an email in Gmail in your mobile browser and choose "Print" from the dropdown menu in the top right corner. You can also print certain kinds of email attachments (such as .pdf or .doc) by clicking the "Print" link that appears next to them.
The feature is rolling out today and tomorrow for English-speaking users in the United States.

The one catch to the functionality is that in order to configure printers for use with the Google Cloud Print service, users must connect their printer to a PC running Windows 7, Vista, or XP and the latest version of Google Chrome. Google promises that support for the feature through Mac and Linux computers is "coming soon".

Apple is of course working on its own wireless printing technology, AirPrint, for iOS devices. But while AirPrint can offer support across a broad array of applications, it does require that the iOS device and printer be located on the same wireless network, whereas Google Cloud Print can enable printing to anywhere.

Article Link: Google Launches Cloud Print for iOS Devices

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Hmm...clever. It requires you have Google Chrome on your computer for it to work :rolleyes:

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
English speaking users in the United States? Does Google not know that other countries also have English-speaking users? So I suppose I have to have a US-created Google account to use these features. :confused:

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
So, you need to have Chrome and Windows to print from your iPhone? Another BANGING product from Google...

:rolleyes:

wolfenkraft

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
English speaking users in the United States? Does Google not know that other countries also have English-speaking users? So I suppose I have to have a US-created Google account to use these features. :confused:

I'm sure there's a reason for it. Calm down, you'll get it eventually. Of course google knows other countries have English-speaking users.

MacMan86

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
UK
So, you need to have Chrome and Windows to print from your iPhone? Another BANGING product from Google...

:rolleyes:

Oh come on, be realistic. If you were going to roll out a new product with limited time and money, which platform do you think you would release on first? The one with the 10% market share? No, of course not.

I'm as anti-Google and pro-Apple as most of the people here but I also have some common sense. Cloud Print works over Google Talk which is based on XMPP. Google have said they had the option of releasing a separate app just to handle printing, but decided (quite sensibly) that wrapping it up into an existing and popular product is easier for everyone.

Mac support will come with time. Fed up of having to wait for Mac's to get the goodies months after the PC folk do? Figure out to how to even the market share.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Apple is of course working on its own wireless printing technology, AirPrint, for iOS devices. But while AirPrint can offer support across a broad array of applications, it does require that the iOS device and printer be located on the same wireless network, whereas Google Cloud Print can enable printing to anywhere.

Not to mention that AirPrint artificially restricts you to a small group of printers manufactured by Apple's AirPrint partners.

Yeah, it's not like Apple has any silly restrictions on their AirPrint service - oh wait...

Piney

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2010
Arizona, U.S
anyone notice that the email in the picture on the left inside is a reference to Office Space, with mentions of TPS Reports and Milton stapling things...

just thought it was worth noting.

Speedy2

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2008
But while AirPrint can offer support across a broad array of applications, it does require that the iOS device and printer be located on the same wireless network, whereas Google Cloud Print can enable printing to anywhere.

Question is, who is bothered about that?
Printing is usually a process in which you need the printed document here&now. I wouldn't want anything to print on some random printer somewhere else, buried under 50 other things. Or just press one wrong button and that 1,500 page manual or that email in which you really expressed your eternal love to your boss accidentally prints at work while you're not there to 'correct' your mistake.

I'm not an Apple apologist, AirPrint sucks in its current incarnation, but it seems more aimed towards people's actual wants and needs. Cloud printing sounds like going to work every day on a surf board. It might sound cool at first, but no one would ever do it.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Nice - wonder what the motivation for google here is (supporting iOS) - especially since it is limited to english speaking users ... are they adding ads based on the content to the printout and/or app ?

Oh well, cant use it at home since my house now since 1 year PC free and 100% Mac but I might try it in the office.

Oceanswave

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2010
Awesome!

I, for one, think this is awesome. Now I can print all of my e-mails instead of opening them on my iDevice.

Think of all the carbon dioxide I would be removing from the atmosphere!

Now if only there was a way to have all my e-mails automatically printed and to automatically give me carbon credits.

As we all know, e-mail is just a gateway drug for reversing global warming.

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Sounds like a target group in the 3% range.

Oh well then screw those people. :rolleyes: You know, a couple of years ago when Apple and Google had more of a partnership, people were gushing over the idea of Apple + Google, and "oh my wouldn't it be grand if Apple bought Google."

This Google hatred is very transparent.

RoboCop001

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Now people are going to start sexprinting. And unfortunately for the Android phones that haven't been updated with the fix, it'll send to the wrong printer.

Girl "Hey baby I'm going to send you a hot pic or whatever it is people say when sexting"

--------

Meanwhile back at her home where her parents are....

"Hey Honey are you printing something?"

"No, why?"

"Oh it's from our daughter OH MY GOD"

louis Fashion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2010
Arizona, USA
Oops

"Imagine printing an important document from your smartphone on the way to work and finding the printout waiting for you when you walk in the door."

Imagine printing a email to your girlfriend from your smartphone on the way home and finding the printout waiting for you in your wife's hand when you walk in the door.

Sometimes progress sucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.