Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hoyboy

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
I don't think it'll replace consoles. But it will chip away at it. Most of the gaming industry is casual gaming, so I think Apple is just trying to chip away at the casual category. Ever since Apple ditched Imagination's GPU's in favor of their own in house GPU designs, they now have full control over the performance/platform. The A12X right now benches (on Geekbench) relatively around the same performance as a GeForce 650Ti. I'm putting money on the A13X will be much higher than that. With that kind of processing power, Apple has the opportunity to lure in casual gamers (who might already own an iPhone/iPad).

I wasn't suggesting Apple will take over the console gaming world, that's not happening ever. But what I think will happen is Apple will start chipping away at some console gamers who are only casual gamers.

Ok fair enough but one of the main reasons that PlayStation and Xbox are so successful is because of their first party titles. When you compare the types of games you can get on Xbox game pass for £7.99 (or £11.99 for Xbox and PC) a month to the Apple Arcade games at £4.99 there is literally no comparison.

Fair enough I could definitely see people having Apple Arcade in addition to console / PC gaming but I just can’t see how someone who has spent a fair amount of money on an Xbox one / PS4 would suddenly outright replace it with Apple Arcade and go from Gears of War, Halo, Forza etc to Frogger and Rahman Mini.

There’s the social aspect of it as well on Xbox/PS4 that Apple Arcade doesn’t have.

At the end of the day a gaming platform is only as good as the games it offers. I hope it does get AAA games eventually as I would happily pay the money for it but with Apple only allowing exclusives it could take a long while for it to get to that stage.

Also when you say chip away at it. What kind of games are people playing on Xbox/PS4 that Apple Arcade is good enough to make them switch? Curious to know who these people are.

Last edited:

saldin

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012
"Play Pass is available for Android devices in the United States this week, and will be expanding to additional countries soon. It comes with a 10-day free trial and after that, a subscription costs $4.99 per month, just like Apple Arcade."

Worded like that, it reads like they're equivalent in all three counts, but it's only equivalent in one: price. Apple Arcade is available in more than 150 countries since day one, and has a 30-day free trial.

gsurf123

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2017
I knew this was going to happen. Google will always make it seem like a better deal in comparison. But quality control and standards are higher in the Apple world to me, from the surface at least.

I think Apple's strategy with Arcade and supporting Xbox and PS4 controllers is to chip away at the gaming console manufacture's business. Why buy a PS4 or Xbox when the same games are available at Apple Arcade, same controllers, and with an iPad Pro, you can stream to the TV and play the same games with a much more powerful processor?

Casual gamers yes, but serious ones with an Xbox or PS4 or who play on their computer won't be moving. There is just no way to compete with dedicated systems for the hardcore people.

They will capture a lot of casual gamers.

Reactions: mi7chy

saldin

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012
Ok fair enough but one of the main reasons that PlayStation and Xbox are so successful is because of their first party titles. When you compare the types of games you can get on Xbox game pass for £7.99 (or £11.99 for Xbox and PC) a month to the Apple Arcade games at £4.99 there is literally no comparison.

Fair enough I could definitely see people having Apple Arcade in addition to console / PC gaming but I just can’t see how someone who has spent a fair amount of money on an Xbox one / PS4 would suddenly outright replace it with Apple Arcade and go from Gears of War, Halo, Forza etc to Frogger and Rahman Mini.

There’s the social aspect of it as well on Xbox/PS4 that Apple Arcade doesn’t have.

At the end of the day a gaming platform is only as good as the games it offers. I hope it does get AAA games eventually as I would happily pay the money for it but with Apple only allowing exclusives it could take a long while for it to get to that stage.

Also when you say chip away at it. What kind of games are people playing on Xbox/PS4 that Apple Arcade is good enough to make them switch? Curious to know who these people are.

iOS games are just as difficult to develop as games for the Nintendo Switch (which also has a Unix-based OS, ARM CPU architecture and advanced GPU) but no one appears to even acknowledge it.

People who will pay $60 for a Switch game (because it's a dedicated game console and new AAA games are expected to cost that) will refuse to pay more than $5 for the same game on iPhone/iPad/ATV because it's a "mobile" game, which in their mind is "smaller, easier to develop, inferior". Not just gamers (who are elitist as hell), everyone has come to expect mobile apps and games to be either free or cost a few bucks.

Apple is never going to have AAA games on its devices, because either developers will target consoles like the Switch and make more money by pricing their games much higher; or simply people will never acknowledge an iOS game is AAA, only "mobile".

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
How does this "compete"? IOS users can't choose Google's service and Google/Android users can't choose Apple Arcade.

And I know of NOBODY who would choose their phone based on which game service is available.
Actually iOS users can use most of the Google’s services

Commodore 64

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
I first read the headline as ‘play bass’. Think I’ve been watching too many Davie504 videos lately. Now I just want to play the bass, not games??

On topic: competition/diversity/innovation/games/money spending is good etc...

Justanotherfanboy

Suspended
Jul 3, 2018
Point to the place in that quote where he claimed Google thought of it 1st. Let me save you some time. You can't. He asked a question and you made an incorrect assumption.

C’mon man... I literally can’t even imagine a world where you don’t realize the question he posed was meant to be rhetorical.

Reactions: MacNeb

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Do you want a large amount of crappy pizza or a medium amount of really good pizza?
Lack of quantity can also mean no pizza at all. If you’re hungry some pizza is better than none.
The OPs cliche is a tired one.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I freaking hate google music, but do enjoy ad free YouTube, but these mother won't separate them. Now they want to rent out crappy games on Android.

Patolino

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2015
New Pixel 4! Includes Apple FaceID, Apple Arcade, same camera bump as iPhone 11, and iOS swipe interface.

Hopefully it will also have slofies

Photocopy machines at full steam.
Their next model will be called Pixel 5 Pro and Pixel 5 Pro Max ?

PeLaNo

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
New Pixel 4! Includes Apple FaceID, Apple Arcade, same camera bump as iPhone 11, and iOS swipe interface.

Hopefully it will also have slofies
This ?
Google shamelessly copied iOS gesture from iOS despite Android ditched physical button for on-screen one for years.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
I chalk it up to parallel thinking. All tech companies are trying to create content around subscription based services so 2 new game services released days apart isn’t even a coincidence much less a matter of anyone copying. And how come no one is accusing every company of copying music streaming services? They are not only priced the same but also deliver the exact same content.

I have a better idea. Let’s all ignore originality and concentrate on execution and value since those are the only things that matter anyway.

Reactions: MacNeb

jedivulcan

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
I chalk it up to parallel thinking. All tech companies are trying to create content around subscription based services so 2 new game services released days apart isn’t even a coincidence much less a matter of anyone copying. And how come no one is accusing every company of copying music streaming services? They are not only priced the same but also deliver the exact same content.

I have a better idea. Let’s all ignore originality and concentrate on execution and value since those are the only things that matter anyway.

You're probably right.

Google's seems more like a paid discovery service. They're definitely casting a wider net. I was kind of surprised by the non-gaming selection. I guess friends and family can share the unlocked in-app purchases with this subscription.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.