Google Launches New 'Google One' App for iOS With Storage Manager and Backups

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today announced the launch of a new Google One app for iOS, which is designed to let users store photos, video, contacts, and calendar events for backup purposes.

Content can be backed up to Google One using the 15GB of free storage that comes with a Google Account. A Storage Manager in the app provides access to storage space used by Google Drive, Gmail, and Google Photos to make it simple to manage storage space.

The app also allows users to upgrade to a Google One membership, which is priced starting at $1.99 per month. Google One provides additional storage space and an option to share storage with up to five family members.

Google One has previously been available for Android devices, offering an automatic phone backup service along with expanded storage plans, family storage space, and more, and Google is adding all of the new Storage Manager features and free backups to its Google One Android app.

Google says that the new Google One app for iOS will be "available soon."

Article Link: Google Launches New 'Google One' App for iOS With Storage Manager and Backups

BaracksPhallusPalace

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2017
I use Metro for my cellular plan, apparently they include this service along with Amazon Prime for the $60/mo unlimited tier, but until now Google One was only available for Android phones. Curious if I'll get this for free on my iPhone after it's officially launched.

Reactions: Rhonindk

Ramchi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
India
I already use Google Drive 200 GB storage subscription for backing up Photos of my iPhones(Two) to in addition to 50 GB paid storage in iCloud. Also I use OneDrive subscription. The iCloud 50 GB is the most useless of these due to the fact it is restricted to iDevices and higher storage options are expensive considering its limitations. I couldn’t store WhatsApp backups in common cloud storage, otherwise I might as well leave iCloud subscription altogether. Hope this paves way for that.

Reactions: javisan

StevieD100

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Living Dangerously in Retirement
Google really, really want all the data on us they can. They'll keep on taking everything they can until there is nothing left to hide from them.
Resistance is futile. Prepare to be assimilated by the Borg. You know you can't avoid it forever.

Being a certified GOM (Grumpy Old Man), I'm going to carry on avoiding having as little to do with google as possible.

edgonzalez32

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
Love iPhones but jealous of your Android friends having all their information sold by Google? There's an app for that 😂
Stop with this **** already.

Love Dell but jealous of your friends using a **** keyboard with a high failure rate that a company took years to acknowledge and fix? That they spent anywhere between 1300–2500? Theres a laptop for that.

It goes both ways. Cut it out already and let people use what they like to use and what works for them. ****ing christ.

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
So you think Google offers this out of the goodness of their hearts for free? There's a good business plan!

"When you dont pay for the product you are the product"
I never said it wasn’t true, but I, and many others, aren’t concerned about it. You’re right, you don’t get something for nothing, but why should I feel better about giving away my hard earned money for services?

If you’re using a smartphone, or online at all, you’re giving someone your data.

lolrepeatlol

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2020
So what is the difference between Google Photos and Google Drive ... and Google One?

Is google trying to kill off Google Photos and Drive ?
No, Google One is just a plan that allows you to get more storage in Google apps. You can buy more storage and it shares it across all of your Google services.

Reactions: SigEp265 and trusso

jk1211

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
It's not even free. They're trying to diversify. You're supposed to pay money for Google One.
For increased storage, yes. But you get the "free" 15gb a Google account comes with. So even worse, you pay and they STILL scan your data. Its not hidden just search if google scans your drive files.

Google Drive has been around since 2012, and some people have raised concerns about Google’s scanning user content for its own purposes, like selling targeted advertising. The company’s overall Terms of Service document states, “Our automated systems analyze your content (including emails) to provide you personally relevant product features, such as customized search results, tailored advertising, and spam and malware detection. This analysis occurs as the content is sent, received and when it is stored.”
Apple gives a few GB of free icloud because you bought a device from them, you have already handed them money. They arent a data mining company. So its totally different.

This isnt a lecture to anyone, its your data do what you wish. But lets not pretend people are suddenly going to use this service who are with Apple for privacy concerns over Google/Android.

nicroma

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
Midwest, USA
Stop with this **** already.

Love Dell but jealous of your friends using a **** keyboard with a high failure rate that a company took years to acknowledge and fix? That they spent anywhere between 1300–2500? Theres a laptop for that.

It goes both ways. Cut it out already and let people use what they like to use and what works for them. ****ing christ.
One is poorly designed metal and plastic, the other is your most private information in the hands of many, many people. Not comparable at all.

rwxx

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2020
I knew it! I knew that within the first three comments there would be one about Google selling your information. 🙄
Of course. Even though Google does NOT sell your information. But the Apple fanboys and fangirls continue to insist they do. Selling access to your eyeballs, yet never revealing any personal information about you, is not remotely the same thing as "selling your information."

Furthermore, there are legitimate offenders when it comes to "selling your information" and some of them even have apps on the App Store. Weather Channel anyone? How many people complaining about Google have the Weather Channel app installed today?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/jan/04/weather-channel-app-lawsuit-location-data-selling

A good friend of mine works in the privacy space and he says many third party apps and services available on iOS today are much much worse than Google, yet some people remain fixated on this narrative that Google is the ultimate offender. He says the smaller apps and ad networks are much shadier. And Apple lets those apps into the App Store.

People trust Apple to guard their privacy and Apple has done a good job of making privacy a focus. They've done a lot to educate the public about privacy concerns in general. However, they are far from perfect. iCloud is not a zero-knowledge architecture and if you backup to iCloud, all of your data, including your end-to-end encrypted iMessages (assuming you are backing up Messages), can be made available to authorities (and, theoretically, hackers).

In my opinion, Apple's privacy stance is half sincere, half marketing spin, maybe a little more than half sincere. I like the new privacy report feature coming to the App Store. However, if Apple REALLY cared about privacy, if they were 100% all-in, they'd make iCloud a zero-knowledge solution. It's very telling that they don't. I've started using Sync.com since they are zero-knowledge. I'd love to see them offer an iOS backup solution.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.