Google Launches 'Talk' Instant Messaging

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google launched their own IM client today under the name of Google Talk.

The Windows XP/2000 client offers Instant Messanging and Voice over IP services similar to Apple's iChat application.

Google's IM service appears to be based the Jabber open-source standard which allows users to connect with other Jabber-capable clients -- such as iChat, GAIM, Adium, Trillian Pro and Psi.

Google Talk clients however, can't connect with AIM, MSN or Yahoo Messenger clients. PC World posts first impressions of the new IM client. According to the site, the client software is very bare-bones at the moment, but Google is reportedly working with Earthlink and Sippphone to provide compatibility with their voice services.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
How is this Page 1 "Rumor" news? Anyhow, glad to see Google's in the game. My wife used to work for Google's Chicago office - Mac lovers for sure, even if it take them awhile to get Mac versions of their web apps out. We'll see how all this Google vs. Yahoo vs. MS, etc. shakes out after MS releases Vista.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
If they're Mac lovers, they should be ashamed of themselves. I'm getting sick of not having Mac-native programs from them.

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
Mac version

You dont need a Mac version. Since its Jabber, iChar under Tiger will do it just fine. I was actually expecting something innovative. This is just an ugly version of iChat with fewer networks and no video.

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
I currently don't have a need for voice-capable chat programs -- text is fine enough.

Besides, if I want to talk that way I use a phone or regular conferencing stuff connected to an almighty :cool: whiteboard.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
So just how can I connect to this network using Jabber? Just using my Gmail address and login doesn't work. Tips?

EDIT: D'oh! Note to self, read FAQ.

ctachme

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2003
Well, I for one, don't mind this at all. Since it is compatible with iChat, I have no problems with it. And, it will just cause more confusion on the windows side of IM'ming, and I consider that a good thing.

In fact, I think that iChat Talk does work over Google Talk Jabber servers, you just can't talk with people that happen to be using Google's client. Big deal.

seanmoul

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2005
Voice chat

I was messing w/ iChat (using Google Talk as Jabber account) and voice chat worked ... just clicked on the phone icon. Am I missing something here? However, I couldn't get file transfer to work.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I find it quite funny that when I click on the help link from the Google Talk site, it takes me to Google Maps help. Huh?

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
Not that I really care all that much -- because I seldom use chat apps at all -- but does anyone have a web page showing which apps are supposed to work with which other apps?

Consumers would be better served if there was at least basic interoperability between these apps. Can you imagine only being about to send email from Outlook to recipients that also use outlook? Call only Verizon numbers from your Verizon mobile?

I'm certainly not denying that many people use chats, but the lack of interoperability is one of the reasons I've never really gotten into it.

sebaz

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
michaelrjohnson said:
So just how can I connect to this network using Jabber? Just using my Gmail address and login doesn't work. Tips?
edit: You found the FAQ lol.

When you are done, add me up to try it out if you want

sebastian[dot]t@gmail.com

We should get a macrumors Google talk list going lol

sebaz

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
The service is working for mac np, just that google doesn't have an official client for mac out yet, but the service works.

nsjoker

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2005
Miami, Fl
stridey said:
The service works for Mac. The application doesn't.
we want the app. google neglects mac users like it's their friggin' job... what's the deal with them?? you'd think with all their resources they'd port things like google earth, gmail notifier, desktop search (not that i'd want it), and google talk to OS X :mad:

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
so whats the point of jabber vs. aim? I hear it's open source, but who cares?

I would say it's a little late in the game. I wouldn't be surprised if maybe 5 years down the road google's services are all more popular then aol's, msn's, and yahoo's. I guess it's better now then never, but I don't see how this is anything useful at the moment. I understand jabber can be run on your own servers, but I am still not sure what the plus's are.

Chealion

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
FWIW, if you are using iChat and the other person is using iChat there is no difference in your capabilities then using AIM. (You can do video and audio conferences, yes more then one person also in Tiger.)

What you can't do is do video or audio to people using other clients to connect to Google's Jabber server.

Fiveos22

macrumors 65816
Nov 20, 2003
Ars Technica fired off an article as well. It sounds pretty bare bones to me, furthermore it is strange that they are not supporting arguably the most popular protocols (AIM, etc.).

I guess we'll see where this goes in the future.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Doesn't seem too exciting yet, but any competitor to MSN is fine by me :) Google often does very well at the things they attempt: http://maps.google.com comes to mind!

Open universal standards for voice and video would be nice.