Google Looks to Distance Android from Apple vs. Samsung Ruling

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Google does innovate. Android is not a shot for shot copy of iOS, and they both steal ideas from one another in order to (hopefully) better implement them. Apple may indirectly go at Google via their handset makers, but attacking the OS itself isn't likely to work. Android is here to stay, and people should want it that way.
iOS, Android, WebOS and WinMo7/8 are all products of standing the on the shoulders of the same giants and looking different directions. Samsung jumped on the back of one to look over the shoulder of another.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
To quote Monty Python...

"Run away! Run away!"
To quote George Washington, ...

Ouch, I stubbed my toe.

Apple up 2% or about $13.00 is a $13B increase. Samsung is down about $12B.

The award was $1B and may be trebled and will certainly be appealed and delayed for at least a year and may eventually be reduced, or even a new trial ordered.

So perception trumps reality. The tail wags the dog.

Rocketman
The amount of the award is trivial. The damage comes from Samsung no longer being able to use specific technologies.

Just out of curiosity who owns the patent on notifications?
It is not a question of a patent on notifications, it is a question of a patent on a specific way of implementing notifications. There are lots of ways for Samsung to do the things they do. The problem is, they would need to create their own implementations of those things.

There are lots of ways to do, "Slide to unlock" or "Pinch to zoom". It is easy to copy someone else. What is easy is quite often, not legal.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Even though I'm sure Google isn't happy about the decision, they do come off looking rather good for having warned Samsung against copying Apple. When even the guys supposedly on "your side" are on your back, that further isolates Samsung as the "lazy one" who was unwilling to do the hard work and unwilling to heed the signs.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Looks like Google has indeed recognized the implied warning that came about as a result of the Apple-Samsung trial. Good.
Considering that it was Google who warned Samsung BEFORE this whole thing blew up - that they (Samsung) were sailing too close to the wind, I don't see this as a warning to Google per-say but to Google's partners that the warning Google gave to Samsung wasn't some sort of thing they could flip off.

I'd distance my OS too if I knew it stole a ton from Apple's. :rolleyes:
Considering that the cause of the problems was Touchwiz, a third party enhancement, and not the native Android GUI itself (notice that the Nexus has been left relatively unscathed).

Android phones before iPhone

Android Phones after iPhone

The HTC still makes the Chacha which is more or less the same as the pre-iPhone Android. To be honest though, one could easily say that the iPhone design builds upon the PDA designs - I remember I had a Handspring PDA with the phone module so the idea of a touch screen and minimal buttons is hardly new. The law suit was however of the culmination of numerous things rather than there being one big giant 'ahha!' moment. A thing copied here, a thing copied there and voila you have a law suit.

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
Question now is will Apple innovate again? iOS has been same for 5 years. Boring.
I bought a S3 and used it for a week, now I know why iOS has been the same for so long cause to change things just to be different makes for a horrible user experience.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Should Have Been Google Not Samsung

Google is THE most evil company on earth (it was a close 2nd for Facebook). It is Google that should have taken the torpedo. If there was no Android there would be no Samsung device running it. Eric Schmidt was a "trojan" on the Apple Board sucking up the ideas and then quitting the board after he had everything he needed to build "his own iPhone/iOS".

What do you expect from a company that started being paid by ad companies. Follow the money and you find out where a companies true allegiance lies.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Google is THE most evil company on earth (it was a close 2nd for Facebook). It is Google that should have taken the torpedo. If there was no Android there would be no Samsung device running it. Eric Schmidt was a "trojan" on the Apple Board sucking up the ideas and then quitting the board after he had everything he needed to build "his own iPhone/iOS".
Misinformed much? :rolleyes:

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Can you imagine what they'd be saying if Samsung won?

Google: We are proud to see this verdict in favour of Samsung. It shows that the jury were willing to hear the argument that Apples monopoly on patents should be recognised as industry patents, and that developers and manufacturers in the Android community can "innovate" without the threat of a legal action.
After they got through distancing Android from the ruling, they said much the same thing:

'… and several [patents] are being re-examined by the US Patent Office. The mobile industry is moving fast and all players - including newcomers - are building upon ideas that have been around for decades. We work with our partners to give consumers innovative and affordable products, and we don't want anything to limit that.'​

Pretty well said actually.

Last edited:

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Android has the rubber band effect for a couple of years, so Android is not cleared as Google want us to think.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Apple sells great products.

Google thinks you are the product...

And it's good that Google is throwing Samsung under the bus. That means better WP8 devices come next year.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Even though I'm sure Google isn't happy about the decision, they do come off looking rather good for having warned Samsung against copying Apple. When even the guys supposedly on "your side" are on your back, that further isolates Samsung as the "lazy one" who was unwilling to do the hard work and unwilling to heed the signs.
No, this just shows they're very good at stealing and even better at covering their tracks. Copy iOS and just change enough little things here and there to NOT make it look like it was copied. A little contrition a LOT too late. It hardly absolves GOOGLE from stealing iOS ideas and implementing many of them in ANDROID.

Can you imagine what they'd be saying if Samsung won? Google: We are proud to see this verdict in favour of Samsung. It shows that the jury were willing to hear the argument that Apples monopoly on patents should be recognised as industry patents, and that developers and manufacturers in the Android community can "innovate" without the threat of a legal action. This is a good day for Samsung, Google and other Android device manufacturers.
The Spin Doctors! Absolutely right!

The Verge reports that Google has officially responded to Friday's ruling in the Apple vs. Samsung case that saw a jury award Apple over $1 billion in deciding that Samsung had infringed upon Apple's patents and trade dress.

In its statement, Google attempts to distance itself from the controversy somewhat, indicating that most of the issues addressed in the trial do not relate to Android itself. The issues instead deal with Samsung's specific software implementations and its hardware design decisions.

Some of the key pieces of evidence weighing in Apple's favor in the jury's mind were in fact 2010 memos and conversations between Google and Samsung that included Google "demanding" Samsung make changes in its implementation of Android over concerns that it was too similar to Apple's iOS. From one internal Samsung email describing Google's concerns: “I am notifying you of the team leader’s directives from the executives’ meeting yesterday,” the message begins. The sixth item on the list addresses a need to “respond to the issue of design similarity for the S series,” which Samsung designer Kim Jin Soo testified was a reference to the company’s S series of smartphones.

Article Link: Google Looks to Distance Android from Apple vs. Samsung Ruling
As Steve said many times: Android is a stolen product! The direct result from Eric Schmidt's tenure on APPLE's Board of Directors, a fact Steve must have lamented till his dying day!

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
ummm... duh?!? BWAHAHAHA!!! all kidding aside, even though i prefer Apple OS I am glad there are o:Dptions.
As there will be after this. They'll have to have some licenses, and they will find it difficult to thank that nice Google company for giving them a free OS. Not so free.

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
While I think the suit and ruling is ridiculously anticompetitive and honestly stifling innovation... at this point Google is going to have a really tough time drawing distinctions... they're likely going to have to do away with the iconography and move to another form of application launch.

similarly phone designs are going to have to become more distinguished from the iphone. This could be good, in the sense it may push some radically new methods of interaction to be developed, but I am not holding my breath.

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
Wow, So google did warn them!

Samsung had been copying since day one , Nokia and sony Ericsson were the first to suffer Then Apple came along

Right now Nokia will be so happy :D

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Google needs to ditch all relations with Samsung and tell samsung to go make their own os.

Samsung ruins it for everyone.

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
Google can distance themselves all they want. Fact is their vanilla droid nexus S also got hit hard. They know whats next. They are.

Thex1138

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Looks like Android was copying blackberry before it decided to copy the iPhone OS ;)
...and before that Nokia...

Both of those vendors took no action in response to the blatant copying practices of Samsung... Now that's all changed.

Samsung's corporates were so honey-suckled to copying other products that they never knew what it felt like nor meant to be told it was illegal...
... Until now.
:rolleyes:
:apple:

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
That might be the first phone but it definitely was not what Google was thinking about when developing their platform. Remember this video from 2007: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_avwGFsv60U&feature=relmfu. The first device shown had been in use for 6 months and I'm sure it was created before that and tested at Google HQ. The second device seems like a rush job touch screen phone that was created to combat the iPhone.

Before Apple introduced the iPhone, Google had it's eyes set on RIM and the BB as the device to emulate.
There's a white Nexus Q in the background of that video :eek:

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
Microsoft is creating a nice mobile OS. WebOS was a nice OS. They both did it with out copying apple.
And nobody made a cent.

At least Samsung made money and marketshare. Overall they have faired fairly well. And are the only one left standing.

----------

Question now is will Apple innovate again? iOS has been same for 5 years. Boring.
Have you changed in 5 years? Boring.