Google Looks to Distance Android from Apple vs. Samsung Ruling

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
Can you imagine what they'd be saying if Samsung won?

Google: We are proud to see this verdict in favour of Samsung. It shows that the jury were willing to hear the argument that Apples monopoly on patents should be recognised as industry patents, and that developers and manufacturers in the Android community can "innovate" without the threat of a legal action. This is a good day for Samsung, Google and other Android device manufacturers.

.. What a different ball game that would be.

You can't ask what they would say if they won because to win the situation would have had to have been different. Pointless conjecture

----------

Misinformed much? :rolleyes:
He had points. You don't

dba415

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2011
Google can and will countersue Apple if apple takes them on. There are multiple things apple has copied from android in ios.

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
oh please, not this again; google didn't invent the pull-down notification system. period.

----------

well they were also the ones that said apple's inventions should be free for everyone to use because they are so 'mainstream'. :rolleyes:
actually...and unfortunaetly, they have ....

http://www.google.com/patents/US20090249247?printsec=drawing#v=snippet&q=status area&f=false

and this gives a quick (maybe somewhat biased) summary:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/02/17/in-depth-analysis-androids-notification-bar-patent-and-how-apple-may-or-may-not-infringe-it/

kingede

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012
Google can distance themselves all they want. Fact is their vanilla droid nexus S also got hit hard. They know whats next. They are.
Imho that's nonsense.

It is clear that Eric Schmidt stole the idea of developing a nextgen-smartphone os at google (one could argue that things like that are not only negative - otherwise there would be just mercedes-benz cars on the streets out there, as they invented it). Stealing ideas is not forbidden - infringing patents is.

That said, I can't see where Google did copy anything specific regarding the user experience of recent android: The core is the homescreen, the widgets, the pullable notification bar and the absence of any hardware-keys. Last time i checked iOS didn't have that.

I find it strange when people say, that a company who invented google search, google maps, gmail, chrome and much more is not able to be "innovative" as soon as it comes to smartphone-os.

Cheers

Ramchi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
India
Microsoft is creating a nice mobile OS. WebOS was a nice OS. They both did it with out copying apple.
Both of them so far remained dead-wood which is why most of the Apple fans love these two dead OSs !

Not that Android has copied iOS instead implemented iOS totally differently. I use iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, iPad, iMac yet SGS III or Android is way too different than iOS.

Yes, SGS, SGS II may have copied (TouchWiz) but Samsung must move on from this to work on to produce products like SGS III which has no iOS blueprints.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Google needs to ditch all relations with Samsung and tell samsung to go make their own os
Samsung already has an own OS: Bada. And it is doing quite well in Asia and is also available on some Samsung devices in Germany. Samsung also sells Windows Phones. They have more horses in their stable than just Android - they cater to the needs of ALL market niches. That's why they are so successful.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
I'd distance my OS too if I knew it stole a ton from Apple's. :rolleyes:
...because Apple hasn't stolen any features from Google, right? Is this a question of copying or how much one can copy without treading on the toes of others?

CynanX

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
For all those that say iOS is old, boring, needs a change etc, what is it you want exactly? And why do you need it?

An argument I hear a lot is that you can't add widgets - but honestly why do you need to?

If you need to check the weather, stocks, or search the internet then what is the problem of loading up the required application? Is it really that a big a deal?

By not having them as widgets and only loading them when needed in theory you get better battery life.

I also see people moan that there isn't a quick way to toggle Bluetooth, WiFi, 3G. Again, why do you need to? I have them all on and I don't notice a significant enough battery life to warrant toggling them off/on all the time. The way in which Apple's designed these things is that if you need them on, set them on and forget it. The phone will take care of the rest.. so a toggle is pointless.

iOS is simple, intuitive and works well. I for one am glad it isn't changed every five minutes and prefer Apples approach to design.

Renzatic

Suspended
For all those that say iOS is old, boring, needs a change etc, what is it you want exactly? And why do you need it?

An argument I hear a lot is that you can't add widgets - but honestly why do you need to?

If you need to check the weather, stocks, or search the internet then what is the problem of loading up the required application? Is it really that a big a deal?
Because some people want to be able to check their weather, stocks, or whatever else with a casual glance at the home screen, instead of having to load up and switch between three separate apps.

The homescreen being nothing more than an application launcher is the one thing I like least about iOS. It's especially bad on the iPad, where the larger screen space could be put to far better use than what it currently is.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Originally Posted by SeattleMoose
Google is THE most evil company on earth (it was a close 2nd for Facebook). It is Google that should have taken the torpedo. If there was no Android there would be no Samsung device running it. Eric Schmidt was a "trojan" on the Apple Board sucking up the ideas and then quitting the board after he had everything he needed to build "his own iPhone/iOS".

Misinformed much? :rolleyes:
Do you have any idea how bone headed you (Evoken) sound? If you disagree with anything he (SeattleMoose) is saying, state your case and give specific reasons why you disagree. Such superficial B/S is laughable. "Think Much?" obviously you don't.

CynanX

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
Because some people want to be able to check their weather, stocks, or whatever else with a casual glance at the home screen, instead of having to load up and switch between three separate apps.

The homescreen being nothing more than an application launcher is the one thing I like least about iOS. It's especially bad on the iPad, where the larger screen space could be put to far better use than what it currently is.
I can imagine someone wanting to keep an eye on their stocks - so keep the stock program open. I can't imagine someone wanting to know that and the weather at the same time. It sounds more like fancy bells & whistles to me.. and I do get that is just my opinion.

As Android allows that, along with another feature many want, bigger screens, is it really that much of an issue to switch? If the features are really that much better, just the bite the bullet and jump ship.

nexusrule

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2012
Question now is will Apple innovate again? iOS has been same for 5 years. Boring.
iOS5 is not the same since 5 years. It evolved gradually adding features and refining behavior. Without sudden revolutions or changes for the sake of changes. This is the same pattern OS X has always followed with great results. It's the best way of doing user interface and user interaction design.

Chancing skins or adding lot of features always detracts from the experience.

HangmanSwingset

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Everett, WA
Doesn't mean anything. Google may have the patents, but chances are Apple wouldn't copy them without the proper licensing. We as consumers don't know every single detail of every single deal made between every single company.
And especially after winning this bit of the game, I'd assume Apple knows how to play it properly on both ends.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
This is pretty funny, I would consider Jellybean to be MILES APART from iOS and a MUCH better OS too for a tablet. If anything Apple should be copying Google because Google certainly aren't copying Apple anymore, not that they ever have, in fact dare I mention the stolen notifications system Apple implemented from Android???

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
snip...
Ahh, so true. You would think by now the iPad buying public would agree with the above, but apparently home screen info is not relevant to a good user experience. iPad dominates and has been dominating for three generations of tablets.

Last edited:

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I'd distance my OS too if I knew it stole a ton from Apple's. :rolleyes:
If you'd read anything at all you'd know thats not the case.

The OS (Android) is not what was infringing. It was Samsung's modifications to Android that were.

It's laughable to call Android itself a copy, when all the arguments to support it have always been people posting modified copies of Android, and not the stock Android design.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
well i say keep stealing as a customer, doesnt hurt me. its great to have choices and some of those Samsung look great. who wants a phone that looks like 2004, just to be different for the hell of it. not that im gonna buy a android anytime soon but its great for those who want

craznar

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
The Earthlings were too busy squabbling among themselves, that they didn't see the invasion that was being planned.

The invasions of the evil Lawyers, soon the Lawyers would control software development - not the Earthlings.

Soon every single software developer would need to fork out 100s of thousands of dollars before they could change the shape of a button on their form.

Oh wait ... 'soon' is now.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Google is THE most evil company on earth (it was a close 2nd for Facebook). It is Google that should have taken the torpedo. If there was no Android there would be no Samsung device running it. Eric Schmidt was a "trojan" on the Apple Board sucking up the ideas and then quitting the board after he had everything he needed to build "his own iPhone/iOS".

What do you expect from a company that started being paid by ad companies. Follow the money and you find out where a companies true allegiance lies.

Sorry, so you're saying Google is evil...because their income comes from adverts?

Also given than Android was in long-term development before Apple even started iOS, I find it hard to believe that Schmidt was privy to anything that would have helped Android.

For all we know, Schmidt told the Apple board that Google were looking at taking over the Android project, and at that point Apple decided to build the iPhone (although the iPad was actually developed first and put on hold).

We can all speculate, but without hard evidence its meaningless.

The facts are that Android and iOS both exist. Both work great, but obviously its a bit like the Windows vx OS X situation, where Apple only have to make their OS work on certain hardware, thus can optimise the hell out of it, vs the competition (in this case Android) has to support a multitude of devices, thus more code, meaning more can go wrong.

When you look at it from this perspective, you see that Google's work is actually a LOT harder than Apple's. They are obviously doing something right.

----------

Google needs to ditch all relations with Samsung and tell samsung to go make their own os.

Samsung ruins it for everyone.
Sure, if you dont want Apple to release a single product for at least 3 years, then go for it :rolleyes:

You do realize that if that happened Apple would either die, or the cost of the products would double. Think.

MisterK

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
I like the idea of a substantial update to iOS too, but I don't think that widgets are some sort of holy grail of an answer. That's the way that Samsung thinks – that a problem has been addressed so that's the way to do it, and not that there might be a superior alternative. I don't know if I check the weather enough times each day for this to be some cross platform standard for the most prized real estate on my devices. Surely there are some other ideas being tried out.

That said, when I see my 1 year old niece deftly using her mom's iPhone, my need to change the grid of icons goes away. What is the purpose of an OS if not to launch and use applications. Apple may have hit a home run on the first try and they should only change it if it is substantially better. Better enough to introduce a learning curve of any sort.

My own best idea is for an amalgam of live tiles and icons. The same way that the calendar icon shows information, it would be great if all icons had the same functionality. States that show information. I'd also suggest animating icons that could show information over time (live temperature readout on the weather icon with rain animating perhaps).

Furthermore, I think that Google really hit a home run with their GoogleNow tech on the latest Android phones. I truly think that this is the future. That it provides information before you ask for it based on your preferences and information it learns by watching your behaviors. Maybe iOS just has SIRI as an alternative launch screen with items it thinks you're already going to search for. It's almost too bad that Google came up with this first. android fans are going to have a field day when Apple adopts this behavior. I think they have to. It just makes the most sense. More supposition on the device's side means you have to interface with it less, and that feels like its the best way to move forward. A really good "assistant" will predict your needs and provide information before you know you want it.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

By not having them as widgets and only loading them when needed in theory you get better battery life.

I also see people moan that there isn't a quick way to toggle Bluetooth, WiFi, 3G. Again, why do you need to? I have them all on and I don't notice a significant enough battery life to warrant toggling them off/on all the time. The way in which Apple's designed these things is that if you need them on, set them on and forget it. The phone will take care of the rest.. so a toggle is pointless.

iOS is simple, intuitive and works well. I for one am glad it isn't changed every five minutes and prefer Apples approach to design.
Off the top of my head, I'd like the following (mainly for the iPad as the screen is massively wasted at the moment):

- Split windows (e.g have a browser open on the left, and notes open on the right)
- WebOS style 'fan' application switching (seriously, WebOS is AMAZING, it's a completely unique OS that should have blown iOS out of the water, but didn't due to the incompetent CEO at HP)
- Manual icon movement
- Move the dock
- shortcuts on the top bar to toggle wifi/bluetooth/airplane/etc
- Updated UI
- Allow non-sandboxed browsers (e.g so the likes of Chrome can use their own copy of webkit)
- 3rd Party apps that dont require a jailbreak (i.e allow them to be downloaded via a browser, like you would on Android or on a desktop OS)
- Filesystem access (not a major thing, but would make cross-app files easier to deal with)
- Homescreen widgets (again, allow 3rd party non-app-store ones too)
- Lockscreen widgets (as above)
- Set default apps (e.g set a default mail app, browser, etc)

Ochyandkaren

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
Lisbon
It is Stupid to relay on others to do your Job, WHY Google did license Android?

Google is smart.

:cool:: Google, listen: ditch the cartel, make android yours only, like Apple with iOS.
:D: We know it was just a cover up to lure people to your searching biz.

----------

Sorry, so you're saying Google is evil...because their income comes from adverts?

Also given than Android was in long-term development before Apple even started iOS, I find it hard to believe that Schmidt was privy to anything that would have helped Android.

For all we know, Schmidt told the Apple board that Google were looking at taking over the Android project, and at that point Apple decided to build the iPhone (although the iPad was actually developed first and put on hold).

We can all speculate, but without hard evidence its meaningless.

The facts are that Android and iOS both exist. Both work great, but obviously its a bit like the Windows vx OS X situation, where Apple only have to make their OS work on certain hardware, thus can optimise the hell out of it, vs the competition (in this case Android) has to support a multitude of devices, thus more code, meaning more can go wrong.

When you look at it from this perspective, you see that Google's work is actually a LOT harder than Apple's. They are obviously doing something right.

----------

Sure, if you dont want Apple to release a single product for at least 3 years, then go for it :rolleyes:

You do realize that if that happened Apple would either die, or the cost of the products would double. Think.

That is not true.
;): The western cheap mentality at work.
Even if it were true, justice should always triumph.

CynanX

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
I like the idea of a substantial update to iOS too, but I don't think that widgets are some sort of holy grail of an answer. That's the way that Samsung thinks – that a problem has been addressed so that's the way to do it, and not that there might be a superior alternative. I don't know if I check the weather enough times each day for this to be some cross platform standard for the most prized real estate on my devices. Surely there are some other ideas being tried out.
Well said.

That said, when I see my 1 year old niece deftly using her mom's iPhone, my need to change the grid of icons goes away. What is the purpose of an OS if not to launch and use applications. Apple may have hit a home run on the first try and they should only change it if it is substantially better. Better enough to introduce a learning curve of any sort.
..and again.

My own best idea is for an amalgam of live tiles and icons. The same way that the calendar icon shows information, it would be great if all icons had the same functionality. States that show information. I'd also suggest animating icons that could show information over time (live temperature readout on the weather icon with rain animating perhaps).
Ala Windows 7? Maybe Apple will license this from Microsoft at some point in the future. No doubt already playing with this idea and others in the lab already and once they feel it's ready it'll be announced.

Off the top of my head, I'd like the following (mainly for the iPad as the screen is massively wasted at the moment):

- Split windows (e.g have a browser open on the left, and notes open on the right)
- WebOS style 'fan' application switching (seriously, WebOS is AMAZING, it's a completely unique OS that should have blown iOS out of the water, but didn't due to the incompetent CEO at HP)
- Manual icon movement
- Move the dock
- shortcuts on the top bar to toggle wifi/bluetooth/airplane/etc
- Updated UI
- Allow non-sandboxed browsers (e.g so the likes of Chrome can use their own copy of webkit)
- 3rd Party apps that dont require a jailbreak (i.e allow them to be downloaded via a browser, like you would on Android or on a desktop OS)
- Filesystem access (not a major thing, but would make cross-app files easier to deal with)
- Homescreen widgets (again, allow 3rd party non-app-store ones too)
- Lockscreen widgets (as above)
- Set default apps (e.g set a default mail app, browser, etc)
Where as part of me agrees to some of these it isn't what iOS is about (yet?), so if this is what you want now then go buy an Android already. I've never spent more than a few hours using Android so my views are probably not that valid but I find the user experience of iOS is still much better for what I use a tablet and phone for.