Google Maps and Waze Coming to CarPlay in iOS 12

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 4, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beginning this fall with iOS 12, Apple will allow navigation apps to work with CarPlay, including both Google Maps and Waze.

The change was announced at WWDC, and -- for consumers -- could be one of the most immediately useful announcements made during the entire keynote.

Since CarPlay was first introduced a few years ago, Apple has prevented all navigation apps not named Apple Maps from working with CarPlay. This means that anyone who wanted to use an alternative app like Google Maps, Waze, or TomTom was forced to use a phone mount instead of the otherwise very useful CarPlay.

Apple didn't actually say when (or even if) Google Maps and Waze would be available with CarPlay, but MacRumors has reached out to Google and will update if we hear back.

Article Link: Google Maps and Waze Coming to CarPlay in iOS 12

2. MrZippyUK macrumors newbie

Finally, hope this means TomTom too.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

This is huge. I’m Actually surprised Apple is making this change. And now it allows for more diversity like Google Maps, which has its advantages over Apple Maps.

4. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

5. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Anxious to hear more about this. My new VW has CarPlay. Used it on the way home from the dealer and have not tried it again since then. Third party apps would definitely be a reason to revisit CarPlay.

6. ikir macrumors 65816

ikir

7. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

I wonder if Apple got a data sharing deal or something

8. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Similar experience with my Jeep. I upgraded from a 2015 to 2018 with CarPlay a big part of that decision - used it once or twice and realized how terrible it was... can’t wait!

9. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502a

Damit. Now they are going to tempt me into upgrading the system on my car. I hate you Apple. Always making me spend money...

10. djs71a macrumors member

11. aardwolf macrumors 6502

Now, we've just got to convince Google to update the Maps app and the Waze app to support CarPlay. Wonder how long that will take?

In my dream world, I'll install the dev beta today and it will magically work on my way home.

12. ckhris1613 macrumors regular

Wasnt expecting this!
    Hope its better than the Ford version Waze with iPhones.
    Google too, man this is great.

13. dmk1974 macrumors 68020

dmk1974

Finally! Now maybe I'll think about using CarPlay again in the car I bought last year. Google maps is the deal-maker.

14. mj1108 macrumors 6502a

THIS has been why I haven’t purchased a CarPlay head unit yet. Now it’s time to start shopping I think!l

15. MadDane macrumors 6502a

I had two gripes with CarPlay. Being unable to search for music with Spotify and not being able to use Google Maps. Now one of them is coming. This is the biggest news from WWDC for me :D I use CarPlay almost daily.

16. Cristim74 macrumors member

Cristim74

Wow!!! I never thought this will happen so soon! Apple still surprises me.

17. jackietreeh0rn macrumors newbie

Holy smokes. Wasn't expecting this to happen. Such a pleasant surprise this.

18. Felix01 macrumors regular

Doesn't this require CarPlay 2? Which I assume means the car manufacturers will have to push out an upgrade. Wonder how long that will take?

19. abbstrack macrumors regular

Sadly this news comes too late for us fans of Navigon which is now at end of life. Perhaps Garmin would have ultimately decided to kill it anyway, but I’m a firm believer that Carplay stood in the way of Navigon continuing to thrive.

20. Wide opeN macrumors 6502a

Wide opeN

Waze is THE BEST I'm coming up on my 6th year of usage. It's as necessary as the phone itself for commuting.

21. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

Get ready for "CarPlay updates available to new cars only"

22. tennisproha macrumors 65816

This is good that they're allowing competition but I really wish they'd improve Apple maps. Foundationally I really think Apple Maps has a lot going for it. Flyover is much more useful than street view. And there navigation interface is quite good. Just need better data and a few other tweaks.

23. JulesK macrumors 6502

I couldn't find any immediate references to CarPlay 2, so I hope that is not correct. If new hardware on the auto side is required to use these 3rd-party navigation apps (and I can't why that would be the case), I'll be extremely upset. On the other hand, would look for an excuse to upgrade my phone...

24. halfapie macrumors member

YES! I'm going to buy a CarPlay unit RIGHT NOW.

25. Felix01 macrumors regular