Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

carplay-third-party-apps-ios-12-800x445.jpg

Beginning this fall with iOS 12, Apple will allow navigation apps to work with CarPlay, including both Google Maps and Waze.

The change was announced at WWDC, and — for consumers — could be one of the most immediately useful announcements made during the entire keynote.

Since CarPlay was first introduced a few years ago, Apple has prevented all navigation apps not named Apple Maps from working with CarPlay. This means that anyone who wanted to use an alternative app like Google Maps, Waze, or TomTom was forced to use a phone mount instead of the otherwise very useful CarPlay.

Apple didn't actually say when (or even if) Google Maps and Waze would be available with CarPlay, but MacRumors has reached out to Google and will update if we hear back.

Article Link: Google Maps and Waze Coming to CarPlay in iOS 12

Last edited:

MrZippyUK

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2016

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
Anxious to hear more about this. My new VW has CarPlay. Used it on the way home from the dealer and have not tried it again since then. Third party apps would definitely be a reason to revisit CarPlay.

Similar experience with my Jeep. I upgraded from a 2015 to 2018 with CarPlay a big part of that decision - used it once or twice and realized how terrible it was... can’t wait!

Reactions: arkitect

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
Now, we've just got to convince Google to update the Maps app and the Waze app to support CarPlay. Wonder how long that will take?

In my dream world, I'll install the dev beta today and it will magically work on my way home.

Felix01

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
Doesn't this require CarPlay 2? Which I assume means the car manufacturers will have to push out an upgrade. Wonder how long that will take?

abbstrack

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2008
SoCal
Sadly this news comes too late for us fans of Navigon which is now at end of life. Perhaps Garmin would have ultimately decided to kill it anyway, but I’m a firm believer that Carplay stood in the way of Navigon continuing to thrive.

Reactions: Banyan Bruce

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
This is good that they're allowing competition but I really wish they'd improve Apple maps. Foundationally I really think Apple Maps has a lot going for it. Flyover is much more useful than street view. And there navigation interface is quite good. Just need better data and a few other tweaks.

Reactions: one more

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Doesn't this require CarPlay 2? Which I assume means the car manufacturers will have to push out an upgrade. Wonder how long that will take?

I couldn't find any immediate references to CarPlay 2, so I hope that is not correct. If new hardware on the auto side is required to use these 3rd-party navigation apps (and I can't why that would be the case), I'll be extremely upset. On the other hand, would look for an excuse to upgrade my phone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.