Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google Maps for iOS is gaining a new feature today that's designed to allow people to report crashes, speed traps, and traffic slowdowns right from their iPhones.

Reporting traffic accidents and slowdowns has long been a feature on Android and now it will also be available for iPhone users to contribute to Google's crowd sourced incident reporting.

googlemapsreportincident-800x614.jpg

Google is also introducing the ability to report on several kinds of new incidents, including construction, lane closures, disabled vehicles, and objects in the road, which will mean that Google Maps users will be notified when there is an upcoming traffic hazard.

Reporting an incident can be done by tapping on the "+" sign in Google Maps and the selecting "Add a Report." The new reporting feature will be rolling out to iOS users this week.

Article Link: Google Maps for iOS Gains Feature for Reporting Traffic, Accidents, Road Construction and More

one more

macrumors 68010
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Useful, especially if drivers can submit their reports by voice, so no need to touch their phones at all. I seem to remember Apple filing a patent for something similar years ago, so am surprised we still cannot tell Siri about accidents, road closures, etc.

Comment

hagar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
Not sure if Apple would ever offer such a feature. They want it to just work and may prefer to rely on content providers rather than their users for data.

Comment

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Useful, especially if drivers can submit their reports by voice, so no need to touch their phones at all. I seem to remember Apple filing a patent for something similar years ago, so am surprised we still cannot tell Siri about accidents, road closures, etc.

Yes, this. I'm surprised they make this "touch-only". That's going backwards. This should be a "voice-only" feature.

Comment

zorinlynx

macrumors 603
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Yes, this. I'm surprised they make this "touch-only". That's going backwards. This should be a "voice-only" feature.
I've found voice features to be fairly useless when driving. There's a lot of noise in the car, and half the time the system doesn't understand what I'm saying. It ends up being less safe because I'm frustrated and have to touch the screen ANYWAY to end up doing what I want.

I'd prefer a simple touch interface with big buttons that let me do what I'm doing quickly. My phone is in a holder so it ends up equivalent to changing stations on the radio.

Comment

Davidglenn

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2014
It must be slow roll out as I don’t have the feature yet. I have two phones one with the latest Google Maps Beta and one on the normal app release. Neither have the update yet.

Comment

jcshas

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
I love Waze via CarPlay. I just wish Waze would split screen like Apple Map while using CarPlay. I also wish the reporting button in Waze was on the left side of the screen no the right side. Long reach in my Jeep.

Agree. I’ve started using Apple maps in CarPlay instead of other 3rd party map programs just for this feature alone. Hoping Apple will open this up to other 3rd party apps in the future.

Reactions: stylinexpat
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.