Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
Seems like something changed recently were I can no longer zoom Google Maps in Safari using 2 fingers (drag up and down) anymore. Anyone else experience that issue?

I suspect this is a change on Google side (maybe to irk non-chrome users). I fired up an old MacBook with Big Sur and same zoom issue

Safari: 15.4

Last edited:

JBeezzNL

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2022
Yup, me too. In Chrome and Edge (Parallels deskop) it works like a charm.

Very annoying..

consilio.animis

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2022
Same issue, although interestingly if I refresh maps.gogle.com, as the page is loading / before the page completely loads I am able to use the 2 finger drag function to zoom, however once the page fully loads the functionality ceases. So for about a second it works, then stops.

Reactions: Danfango

WiLLGT09

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
Add me to the list as well. Trackpad zooming no longer seems to work in Safari. Works fine in Chrome.

EDIT: Also noticing issue in Safari with Magic Mouse scroll gesture.

Last edited:

proximity

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2006
Same here. Issue is only in Safari. Firefox works. Tried both with trackpad and mouse with scroll wheel. Neither work in Safari

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
what are your track pad settings?

I can scroll around with two or three fingers. and the zoom controls on the map work by clicking, as does pinch to zoom. always hated how google maps worked differently in the first place, so changes are probably good.Apple maps seems to scroll with either two or three fingers, pinch to zoom works great

proximity

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2006
I checked to be sure. This is new behaviour. It worked fine a few days ago, which was the last time I visited Google maps

ADiddy88

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2019
Same issue here, scroll to zoom in or out does not work with the trackpad or a mouse. I thought something was wrong with my MacBook so I deleted all my cookies, history, uninstalled all extensions, and the issue still persists.

I'll have to switch to Chrome for now as I use Google Maps a lot.

EDIT: As a workaround for now, if you enable the Develop menu and change the User Agent to something like Chrome, it works again.

JBeezzNL

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2022
Same issue here, scroll to zoom in or out does not work with the trackpad or a mouse. I thought something was wrong with my MacBook so I deleted all my cookies, history, uninstalled all extensions, and the issue still persists.

EDIT: As a workaround for now, if you enable the Develop menu and change the User Agent to something like Chrome, it works again.
This work-around works for me.. but it is stil a workaround. Was there an update on Google Maps?

dblissmn

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2002
Same here. I couldn't find any technical support notice. Nothing of help on Google's own help pages which no longer mention zooming by any means other than the + or - button.

Switching to Apple Maps. Unfortunately. It isn't as good but Google Maps now is unusable. if I'm reading the help correctly I don't think Chrome is intended to be a workaround; it looks intentional.

Reactions: hoodafoo

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
I suspect this is a change on Google side (maybe to irk non-chrome users). I fired up an old MacBook with Big Sur and same zoom issue

Reactions: Skyuser

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
This seems to be a Safari issue for me (v15.4) as I just tried it in FireFox and after it loaded, which took longer than normal it seems to be working for zoom and other functions.

I'm planing a trip so I noticed it right away last night, it was working in the afternoon then a few hours later zoom was gone and trying to use the buttons on the bottom right is just annoying!

I even gave my M1 iMac a restart as occasionally some gesture controls have stopped working before but no, this is a Safari issue with Google Maps, who forked up?

JBeezzNL

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2022

If you activate the developer menu (go into Safari's preferences (Safari Menu > Preferences) and select the Advanced Tab.) in Safari, then you can change the user agent. This worked for me. After closing Safari you need to enable the user agent again.

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
Same issue, although interestingly if I refresh maps.gogle.com, as the page is loading / before the page completely loads I am able to use the 2 finger drag function to zoom, however once the page fully loads the functionality ceases. So for about a second it works, then stops.
yes, 2-finger zoom works (though not smoothly) initially when you first load the page, but as soon as your favorite pins gets loaded, 2-finger zooming stops working

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
If you activate the developer menu (go into Safari's preferences (Safari Menu > Preferences) and select the Advanced Tab.) in Safari, then you can change the user agent. This worked for me. After closing Safari you need to enable the user agent again.
just confirmed that this workaround works!

AudiHeel

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2019
Carolina
I've had this zoom issue a day or so, but for 2+ weeks google maps has been freezing up completely soon after loading, especially on street view.

parsonsmike

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2017
Seems like something changed recently were I can no longer zoom Google Maps in Safari using 2 fingers (drag up and down) anymore. Anyone else experience that issue?

Safari: 15.4
Oh thank god, I'm not losing my mind. This just started happening to me in the last few days, too.

lovehateapple

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2015
USA
Last night google maps stopped zooming in & out when I scroll on my MBPs trackpad. I didn't change any settings in google or safari. Does anyone know how I can fix this? I definitely want to be able to zoom in & out by scrolling on google maps. Thank you in advance!

I just checked and I can zoom in & out by scrolling when using Firefox, so it must be a safari issue. Very weird...

Last edited:

lovehateapple

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2015
USA
I just changed the user agent in the develop tab, and can now zoom by scrolling again. As soon as I set the user agent back to default or safari 15.2 the problem returned. I don't know what caused this issue all of a sudden, but I blame google... ??

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I just changed the user agent in the develop tab, and can now zoom by scrolling again. As soon as I set the user agent back to default or safari 15.2 the problem returned. I don't know what caused this issue all of a sudden, but I blame google... ??
How do you do this, I went to the advanced tab and couldn't see 'user agent'.

Don't worry, got it. Turn on the Develop Menu...

Yes worked for me but yeah you need to change it even time to start Safari.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.