Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
That only works if Motorola can make a phone that lasts for more than a year. If their phone is a piece of junk in 12 months how long can they keep up sales?

Which and how many Motorolas have you had that failed in 12 months?

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
heh heh, if you look at Amazon Fire HD, you got your answer.

Tell me where is the Samsung ecosystem.

Ah, by the way, in Europe Amazon is not selling like in the USA. You know why?

If Amazon can make that leap to fork Android, why can't Samsung?

And what benefit would have Samsung forking Android? And, please, don't say look at Amazon. Give an answer for Samsung, the best Android seller

Last edited:

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011

I know that if any brand of phone could get my sales besides Apple, then I think it would be Motorola. I recently sold my RAZR 2.0(I think) in November of last year, for $30 because it still worked perfectly after a couple of years of use and a few more years being stored in a ziplock bag at the bottom of a storage tub and in the back of a closet.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Well my own usage is experience during development on both handsets. Whilst I've found apps generally install and launch quicker on the iPhone 5, the S3 has had the edge on performance in most cases (again this is based on my own usage of both handsets).

However the post you quoted of mine was perhaps slightly generoud to the S3. Performance wise when you take different games, apps, tasks, etc they are about level - there is no standout winner on an overall scale.

Geekbench shows the S3 as being faster than the 5 in some tests, then will show the 5 being faster than the S3 in other tests. They are so closely matched that the actual devices could even be ruled out of the argument of which is best.

The iPhone has a HiDPI display, whilst th S3 has a (larger) AMOLED screen, and whilst the 5 can display colours ever so slightly better, the S3 has the ability to show much deeper black levels.

It's going to be 100% down to personal preference. I could list off things about the handsets that are better (e.g iPhone has a nice metal back, S3 has a bater camera, etc) but its really not going to make a scrap of difference.

OS wise, yes, Android 4.x does pip iOS6 to the top (IMO) however only *just* and only because it's not locked down, and has more features embedded into the actual OS (e.g, for those who want/need them, widgets).

That being said, I'm still using my iPhone 5 as my *main* phone, simply because I was in the iOS ecosystem before the Android one, and thus already have all my apps and such. The S3 is mainly for development for me.

Yes, i can agree, in comparison to their own collective OS's, Android 4.0 and up was a much huger and bigger update then iOS 6 was to iOS. With that being said, I have found that game performance on iOS devices like the i5, i4S and even the 4 is just much more superior then Android devices. (Thats the beauty of only having to develop for a few sets of hardware, and for Apple always including top of the line GPU's in their devices) safari performance on the iPhone 5 is unmatched imho... I have played with a Galaxy S3 and Evo 4g LTE on jelly bean and the browser still checkerboards or white boxes when you scroll in and out and I find the i5 browser speed to just be a little bit faster then these Android devices.,

Yeah I did see the geekbench scores. The S3 dual core version gets a score of about 1400 while the i5 gets a score of 1600. The quad core S3 gets like 1800 or 1750 around that area. But the i5's memory performance blows away all these devices and thats very crucial in certain apps. But like you said its not exactly clear on what device is faster but i think we can all agree the gaming side is still unmatched on iOS

My bad if this is a little hard to read I just woke up lol

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
heh heh, if you look at Amazon Fire HD, you got your answer. It is the Android app that everyone is after. In the world of Amazon, they asked developers to submit the same app that is already in Google Play to Amazon app store. And consumer can also side-load an app if it is not in the Amazon app store. Because it is a fork of the existing Andorid, all those app will run without modification. There are tons of new mobile OS out there and none of them are catching fire (Alibaba Aliyun, Mozilla OS) because App issue. And if you simply looking at the spec, Ipad mini sales should be minimal. But as it turns out, Ipad mini seems to be the big winner in the Christmas gift sales derby and will outsell Nexus 7. And it is because of the apps and ecosystem.

But Samsung doesn't need to Fork Android to make their own app store. Amazon's appstore for Android works on Android devices that are not Kindles.

Again, not a reason to fork Android. You still don't understand what component you're talking about and at this point, I think you haven't quite figured out what forking means in the open source world (X.org vs Xfree86 being a great example).

And you keep responding to my posts without any actual insight or educate statements. End of discussion in my book.

----------

If Motorola was able to create a phone that doesn't suck, I think we would know by now.

Aren't the new RAZR line phones being well received ? I think I read something about the RAZR Maxx HD being quite the phone.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Fortunately, the whole world does not revolve around you and what you want.

The reality is, Amazon is selling more tablets than anyone except Apple, and when their (likely free) phone drops, they'll instantly leapfrog all of the smaller manufacturers and pop into the top three as well. At that point, it's only a matter of time before they crush Samsung's margins and force them out of the market as well.

Apple will be harder to get rid of, since they sell a premium product and have their own ecosystem. If Google can establish itself as a hardware manufacturer before that time, they could also withstand the onslaught. If not... Well, ask Palm how being an also-ran in a market you created worked out.

It's the ecosystem, stupid.

----------

Well, that's a legitimate question. Can Google make the transition to respectable hardware manufacturer before Amazon crushes Samsung's nuts?

That remains to be seen...

That isnt going to happen.

Everyone has opinions. It is just funny how far off some opinions go than others. I dont see why Amazon would make a dent in Samsungs sales in phones or Tablets. Both are using Android and both have their own ecosystems. Samsung has an app store and other things as well. Its just my guess that it gets used more in other countries. I dont use Samsungs app store but i have downloaded 1 thing from it and Samsung dispite what you think, ...they make good phones.

Their Galaxy line is becoming a monster and is a big competitor with the iPhone and has taken many customers from them.

Google is doing just fine as well and will continue to grow.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I wouldn't say that is completely true. The Nexus One was fairly/very competitive with top phones at the time of its release. The Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus were pretty subpar hardware wise (Galaxy Nexus relatively better, though). The Nexus 4, though, is a beast of a phone. I'm sure there are a couple phones that beat it benchmark wise, but the Nexus 4 is up there.

The Nexus one didnt sell that many phones at all. You could only get one from Google or on eBay if someone was selling theirs. Nobody knew about it. They only sold 20k of them in the first week so it was NOT competitive as far as sales with other phones but at the time that it came out, its specs were on par with others and actually a better phone than most Android devices back then.

Your right, the NS and GNex were subpar and this is my point. They dont get the best specs because they are developers phones. And in fact, if you go to Android Central, there is a thread that a developer started stating that he wished the N4 was still basically for developers and hoped it didnt sell well with consumers so it could stay pretty much for them.

The N4 has better specs but they didnt up them at all. They are on par with the GS3 for camera and screen specs and such. Its a nice phone and it is my opinion that they gave it those on par specs because it has caught on with consumers. Nowe if they could just fix the crap battery with a software update then it would be great....though i dont like the glass back.

If Google really wanted it to grow, they wouldnt just sell it on their Play Store and only at T-Mobile and like i said before, not every T-Mobile carries them. There arent any here in Las Vegas. Verizon most likely wont get the N4.

Last edited:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
heh heh, if you look at Amazon Fire HD, you got your answer. It is the Android app that everyone is after. In the world of Amazon, they asked developers to submit the same app that is already in Google Play to Amazon app store. And consumer can also side-load an app if it is not in the Amazon app store. Because it is a fork of the existing Andorid, all those app will run without modification. There are tons of new mobile OS out there and none of them are catching fire (Alibaba Aliyun, Mozilla OS) because App issue. And if you simply looking at the spec, Ipad mini sales should be minimal. But as it turns out, Ipad mini seems to be the big winner in the Christmas gift sales derby and will outsell Nexus 7. And it is because of the apps and ecosystem.

Eh, the N7 has been out for months now and has sold tons of them. The iPad mini is a new device and it is nice but the screen on the N7 is much better.
We have a Mini and a N7 in our house and surprise.....i prefer the N7 but my Daughter likes the Mini.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Aren't the new RAZR line phones being well received ? I think I read something about the RAZR Maxx HD being quite the phone.

I think the RAZR line has always been well received. If memory serves me well enough, I think the RAZR flip phones were some of the most popular phones on the market before the touch screen smartphones made their appearance.

I have no doubt that they can make good products and if this next phone with Google could be a major competitor and rival of Apple and Samsung. Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't see why the company in charge of the OS and now the hardware as well couldn't have the potential to disrupt current market trends.

Bezetos

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
far away from an Apple store
They make it sound like Google hasn't got already a phone that competes with the iPhone...

----------

Didn't Google already do this? I was called Nexus, and it was a huge failure!

Haha, a huge failure, my friends couldn't even get one for a long time because of the huge demand. Keep drinking the kool-aid.

----------

Since I've owned my iPhone I have not had the urge to throw it against a wall once, I have not had to apologize to people for losing a call or poor quality or reception, I have not had to restart it or wait for an app to load.

Seriously? It sounds like you haven't used iOS for that long... I've been using iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4 and 4S, and had problems with reception, losing calls (Hello!! Antenna-gate anyone?), it froze at least a few times... And don't make me laugh by saying that you don't have to wait for an app to load on iOS.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Amzn seems to make a different decision that what you are arguing against. They jumped the ship. Any explanation why?

I mentioned this in another reply. Their situation is significantly different.

1. Amazon had no pre existing investment in Android prior to entering the market.
2. Amazon had no preexisting relationship with Google
3. Amazon didn't have millions of existing Android users to alienate with their fork.
4. Amazon had a massive content ecosystem ready and waiting to go.
5. Amazon make their money from content and services, not hardware and so are more like Google. Samsung almost exclusively make their money from hardware and so their model is closer to Apple.
6. Amazon weren't already making billions per quarter in profit from Android.
7. Samsung has a lot more to lose if they fail.

You know the Nexus 4 has an LTE chip in it, right? But Nexus 4 is selling at non-LTE phone price. How do they break even or make money on Nexus 4?

If Apple is having a hard time making money on Ipad 3

I don't believe this for one second. Before replying, consider the fact that the margins that Apple makes on every other device they sell are almost unheard of in the IT industry. By Apple standards iPad might be a low-margin device but almost any other company would be more than happy with those figures.

You want to look at funky margins, check out iPod Touch Vs iPhone 5.

In my country the pricing is:
iPod Touch 32GB: $329
iPhone 5 32GB: $899

Help me out here, but to me it seems like Apple is charging $570 for a GSM/LTE chip? Most of this amount is pure profit to Apple.

Google started the Nexus program because customization of all the vendor marginalize pure Android experience. Nexus device is supposed to the pure form of Android.

Actually Nexus (and in particular the Nexus One) was primarily created to:

1. Provide a reference device for Application development.
2. Set a high standard for hardware specs in Android devices as Google was unhappy with the level of hardware being produced by OEMs until then.

Over the next few iterations the focus of the program shifted slightly.

Samsung is not a software company the same way as Apple is not a software company. They both develop their software to sell their hardware. If Amazon can make that leap to fork Android, why can't Samsung?

See above. And by all accounts, Amazon make little to nothing off their tablets and they only do it because each one sold represents a potential customer for their content and services (like what Google is going with Nexus).

Samsung isn't in this market. They are profiting from their hardware sales and they don't have a content ecosystem. They are banking on people paying a premium for premium hardware. This is exactly the same reason why Apple can charge the prices they do.

They have been able to do this because of the innovative customisations they have made to Android, their marketing and their ability to differentiate their Android devices in a crowded market (See the unexpected success of the Note series).

They have to match Nexus device pricing and that they will never make any money so long as Google try to under price the Nexus device.

Given the example Samsung has set, no, they don't need undercut Google. They need to differentiate themselves enough that people will pay a premium.

Anyway, I simply can't see this fork happening and people forget that Samsung and Google are very close partners and they need each other as they are both making a lot of money from the arrangement. If either party becomes dissatisfied with the situation you can bet that they will invest a lot of resources into remedying the situation prior to running off and doing something very costly just to spite the other. That's an Apple move.

For evidence of this look at Google's reaction to Apple's Maps decision and Samsung's reaction to Apple cutting them out of their supply chain. They reacted in the same way and that was that neither could understand Apple's inability to separate the competition between the companies in one area and the partnerships that existed in other areas. Samsung and Google both take a much more pragmatic approach to these kinds of things.

Last edited:

Kanunu

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2009
Hawaii
The answer to you question is none because I quit buying them. Over the last three years, I have had three Motorola standard cell phones die on me or have some kind of malfunction that made them not work properly. On one phone I could hear incoming calls but the party on the other end could not hear me. Another would lock up and could only be rebooted by removing the battery. When I moved, I had to buy a GSM phone so right now I own a simple Nokia. (See my signature.) It is obviously a lot smaller but built like the brick that Motorola used to be. If Nokia used the Android system rather than Microsoft, I would feel OK buying one of their smartphones.

Besides the phones, the most disappointing purchase was my Motorola Xoom tablet. After only about 6 months, I went to turn it on one morning and had nothing. Best Buy where I bought it wanted to send it back to Motorola and said it would take at least a month. I said never mind and bought an iPad2. When I bought the Xoom, I gave away my iPad1 to my sister-in-law. It still works.

I don't think anyone could accuse me of being a fanboy. Right now I am totally frustrated by Apple policies on overseas access to the iTunes and App store. But it will take more than a few good reviews to get me to buy another Motorola. There are a lot of things wrong with Apple but for most of the products, the hardware is just more reliable.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
The answer to you question is none because I quit buying them. Over the last three years, I have had three Motorola standard cell phones die on me or have some kind of malfunction that made them not work properly. On one phone I could hear incoming calls but the party on the other end could not hear me. Another would lock up and could only be rebooted by removing the battery.

They both sound like software issues and presumably Google would be producing the software for the device.

Motorola generally make very solid hardware with a great build quality. They also like to use metal.

----------

Right now I am totally frustrated by Apple policies on overseas access to the iTunes and App store.

This is not Apple's fault. This is due to the technophobic content/media providers and the fact that a company wanting to set up a store like this needs to enter into lengthy negotiations in each and every region, even if the content/media provider is owned by a company they have already reached agreements in other regions with. It's a massive challenge and it's one of the main reasons Samsung would dread setting up their own ecosystem.

----------

I think the RAZR line has always been well received. If memory serves me well enough, I think the RAZR flip phones were some of the most popular phones on the market

They were the best selling flip phone and sold 130M-150M units over a four year period.

----------

Your right, the NS and GNex were subpar and this is my point.

The Galaxy Nexus was based on the 8 month old Galaxy S2, which was a flagship phone upon it's release, so it wasn't that far behind the curve.

Where the GNex really shines is in software. It has been getting better and faster with each Android release. UX has increased significantly as well.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
They both sound like software issues and presumably Google would be producing the software for the device.

Motorola generally make very solid hardware with a great build quality. They also like to use metal.

----------

This is not Apple's fault. This is due to the technophobic content/media providers and the fact that a company wanting to set up a store like this needs to enter into lengthy negotiations in each and every region, even if the content/media provider is owned by a company they have already reached agreements in other regions with. It's a massive challenge and it's one of the main reasons Samsung would dread setting up their own ecosystem.

----------

They were the best selling flip phone and sold 130M-150M units over a four year period.

----------

The Galaxy Nexus was based on the 8 month old Galaxy S2, which was a flagship phone upon it's release, so it wasn't that far behind the curve.

Where the GNex really shines is in software. It has been getting better and faster with each Android release. UX has increased significantly as well.

Weak camera, bad battery life. Again, don't care what it was based from. It's a developer phone.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
MG1 I say?

It is about time that Google does something with Motorola, however it will be a kick in the face for HTC and all the other MFG. of Android phones.

I am not sure how far behind you think Apple is though, because if you ask me the iPhone 5 is an awesome device, and yes I had an SGIII for like 3 weeks, it was really nice, but on the downside I personally hate having to have a gmail account to use the phone. On the other side they both have their positives and negatives, but I think they are evenly matched.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
MG1 I say?

It is about time that Google does something with Motorola, however it will be a kick in the face for HTC and all the other MFG. of Android phones.

I am not sure how far behind you think Apple is though, because if you ask me the iPhone 5 is an awesome device, and yes I had an SGIII for like 3 weeks, it was really nice, but on the downside I personally hate having to have a gmail account to use the phone. On the other side they both have their positives and negatives, but I think they are evenly matched.
Why? All that does is make everything sync without having to manually do it. You don't have to use the Gmail account. Can't see a downside to that.

----------

How does the battery in the Razr Maxx compare to the iPhone 5?

I don't have a RAZR Maxx but hear the battery is very good.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Tell me where is the Samsung ecosystem.

Ah, by the way, in Europe Amazon is not selling like in the USA. You know why?

And what benefit would have Samsung forking Android? And, please, don't say look at Amazon. Give an answer for Samsung, the best Android seller

because they can profit from being the owner of the OS like apple do with IOS. They can sell the default search engine to Bing instead of using Google. They can take a cut of all mobile commerce initiate from the device. they can charge 30% of everything that the Samsung app store sell. The default map to Nokia. The ecosystem is the same as Android. The same app can run into a forked Android without any change. All Samsung need to do is to take Android the way it is. Take away the name, and don't use the Google Play, google voice etc and they can call it anything they want to. If you think the value of the "soft profit" generate by each mobile device is $10, selling 400M unit a year is going to generate an additional 4B profit for Samsung. If they choose to upgrade the older smartphone that they sell, they can generate additional profit.. Google is not providing Android for free. They make money doing that too same as Apple making money long after they sell the Iphone and Ipad.

----------

Eh, the N7 has been out for months now and has sold tons of them. The iPad mini is a new device and it is nice but the screen on the N7 is much better.
We have a Mini and a N7 in our house and surprise.....i prefer the N7 but my Daughter likes the Mini.

For the first 3 months ASUS said that Nexus 7 sold 2.3M units +-... Any guess as to how many Ipad min will Apple sell in the first 3 months?

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/10/manufacturer-spills-beans-on-google-nexus-7-sales/

Asustek CFO David Chang told the WSJ that the company was selling—not just shipping—500,000 units a month initially, when the Nexus 7 launched in July. Figures bumped up to 600,000-700,000 in the following months, and in "this latest month," Google and Asus have sold close to one million units, said Chang.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
because they can profit from being the owner of the OS like apple do with IOS. They can sell the default search engine to Bing instead of using Google. They can take a cut of all mobile commerce initiate from the device. they can charge 30% of everything that the Samsung app store sell. The default map to Nokia. The ecosystem is the same as Android. The same app can run into a forked Android without any change. All Samsung need to do is to take Android the way it is. Take away the name, and don't use the Google Play, google voice etc and they can call it anything they want to. If you think the value of the "soft profit" generate by each mobile device is $10, selling 400M unit a year is going to generate an additional 4B profit for Samsung. If they choose to upgrade the older smartphone that they sell, they can generate additional profit.. Google is not providing Android for free. They make money doing that too same as Apple making money long after they sell the Iphone and Ipad.

----------

For the first 3 months ASUS said that Nexus 7 sold 2.3M units +-... Any guess as to how many Ipad min will Apple sell in the first 3 months?

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/10/manufacturer-spills-beans-on-google-nexus-7-sales/
Don't care. I still like the N7 better and the screen is much better.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
But Samsung doesn't need to Fork Android to make their own app store. Amazon's appstore for Android works on Android devices that are not Kindles.

Again, not a reason to fork Android. You still don't understand what component you're talking about and at this point, I think you haven't quite figured out what forking means in the open source world (X.org vs Xfree86 being a great example).

And you keep responding to my posts without any actual insight or educate statements. End of discussion in my book.

heh heh, why don't you educate us what forking really mean then? In my book, it is as simple as Samsung take the source code, take away all the reference to Android and they can call whatever the remaining code is. That is what Amazon did. Why don't you tell us what did Amazon do that Samsung can't? And why wouldn't Samsung be at least think about the additional profit that go into Google pocket now? Don't take yourselve too seriously. The mobile world is moving so fast now, everyone is exploring every angle to divide up the profit. We are just a bunch of innocent users trying to make some sense of the world out there. I bet that you have never looked at a company balance sheet before and hence has no concept of how company make money. :)

Google just did a major layoff in Motorola and they are talking about developing flagship phone competing with Samsung and Apple... It does not make any sense. The best technical folks are long gone already.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Google-to-layoff-even-more-people-at-Motorola_id35179

After the initial announcement that about 4,000 employees of Motorola were going to be shown the door, it now appears that Google might be looking to part ways with even more people. The company has informed the media that, by the looks of it, even more employees will have to seek other occupation than previously thought, but at least the company's also bumping up the size of the severance packages it's going to pay.

When it first announced its plans for layoffs, Google expected to pay about $275 million for severance packages, but now, by broadening its scope, the company will also have to bump the sum to $300 million. In addition, Google has announced that it'll pay an additional $90 million on "other charges related to facility and market exits," whatever that means.

To make matters even worse, however, Google also notes that there might be even more job cuts in the future, "some of which may be significant." Boy, it sure doesn't feel cool to be a Motorola Mobility employee right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.