Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
As I prefer avoid most google products, I hoping for the day Apple steps up its Private Relay to full VPN status.

Octavius8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2016
Aaa, finally!.
God forbids that Apple provides Touch ID on the power button a under the display scanner as some 4 year old devices. Don’t tell me that face id is safer!. Many kids have been able to unlock their parents phones with face id, but none with Touch ID. Faceid is ok, but not more convenient for me.

bradbomb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
why are you guys talking down on google for their privacy concerns when apple's icloud has already been hacked many times throughout the years?
I thought all documented "hacks" of iCloud were social hacks where the login information was gathered from the user and not the system itself was breached.

Smearbrick

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Central PA
For any VPN provider, and Google especially, whose primary business model is collecting and monetizing exactly the kind of data that would go over a VPN, the burden of proof should be on them to prove they’re not doing anything like that. And it doesn’t have to be free, just priced low enough that it’s competitive.
Yep… not proof. Sorry.

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
Why would you want a VPN from Google? So instead of Google only partially being able to track your data, you are officially allowing them to route literally ALL of your data through their VPN.

Yep… not proof. Sorry.
Nobody needs more proof of Google doing everything they can to track you data, including outright lying. There's a mountain of proof against them already.

As I prefer avoid most google products, I hoping for the day Apple steps up its Private Relay to full VPN status.
Until Private Relay stops slowing my internet speeds down to a crawl, it's mostly useless right now

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
The sold-out copies are available now. Looks like it’s back in the App Store ?

Damn. No I can't unload all those I d/l'd to make big bucks on eBay.
For any VPN provider, and Google especially, whose primary business model is collecting and monetizing exactly the kind of data that would go over a VPN, the burden of proof should be on them to prove they’re not doing anything like that. And it doesn’t have to be free, just priced low enough that it’s competitive.

VPN does not mean no one can see your data. Some VPN providers may not keep logs, but that is a business decision.
Is the only use of VPN to bypass geo-restriction?

No, it provides a secure link to a site, such as when you want an encrypted connection to a company server, for example, when working remotely.

Bypassing geo-restrictions are just one use.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
VPN companies can’t access your data. That’s the whole point of a VPN. Absolute security.
The "whole point" of a VPN is to hide your traffic from the ISP and masking your IP by piping everything through their own servers. Whether a VPN can track you is up to each company that runs the VPNs.

mikegoldnj

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2005
Did Google already disable this VPN? I briefly saw some reference to it in the Google One app settings (but no way to enable it), app updated a couple of times and there are no references to VPN at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.