Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google paid Apple $20 billion in 2022 to be the default search engine for Safari on iPhone, iPad, and Mac, reports Bloomberg. The information was revealed in court documents Google provided in its antitrust dispute with the United States Department of Justice.

safari-google-search.jpg

The DoJ has accused Google of having a monopoly on search, and in the lawsuit against Google, the search engine deal with Apple has been a major focus. In November, lawsuit documents indicated that Google was paying 36 percent of the total revenue that it earns from searches conducted on Safari, and now it turns out that equates to $20 billion.

Google has been the default search engine on Apple devices since 2002, though the deal has been renegotiated several times. Apple and Google have worked to keep the terms of the search engine agreement under wraps during the trial and before, but it has been well known that Google is paying Apple billions per year.

Last October, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella testified that the agreement between Apple and Google has made it impossible for search engines like Bing to compete. Microsoft at one point wanted Apple to buy Bing, but Apple was not interested. Microsoft blamed Google, but Apple's Eddy Cue said that Apple was concerned that Bing could not compete in "quality and capabilities." Cue claimed that Apple uses Google as the iPhone's default search engine because Apple has "always thought it was the best."

Google is the default search engine on Apple devices in most countries, but users can opt to swap to Yahoo, Bing, DuckDuckGo, and Ecosia as alternatives. Changing browser engines requires opening up the Safari settings.

In Europe, the Digital Markets Act has required Apple to make changes to how browsers work. Users are able to choose a default browser when setting up their iPhone, and there are more options than the handful of providers that Apple allows in the United States.

If Google loses the antitrust lawsuit against it, the deal between Apple and Google could be dissolved. Closing arguments are expected on Thursday and Friday, with the judge's ruling set to come later in 2024.

Article Link: Google Paid Apple $20 Billion in 2022 to Be Default Safari Search Engine

Last edited:
Reactions: danbuter

basicuser

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2024
Please add the ability for us to add custom search engines. I recently switched to Brave Search and it is the only search engine to come close to Google, and they have way more privacy.

Edit: I had to purchase an app, XSearch, to make it work with Safari and Spotlight.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
and I can’t stand google search anymore. Everything leads to YouTube videos so they can make a buck off of ads. It’s horrible.
DDG results suck too, but it’s less aggravating than gurgling
Google search is all about ADD. It’ll give you 30 answers to questions you never asked - derailing your train of thought.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I don't see the problem, given that you can change the default search engine right in the settings, and for no extra cost.

I use Google though despite the data harvesting, because it is the best search engine for my usage at least.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
There’s a reason for the saying…
“Just Google it”

“Just Bing/DuckDuckGo it”…
Said no one EVER…
Except, Google does not want that. That’s how trademarks become generic. We spent a lot of time on the topic in law school. Kleenex, Escalator, Jet Ski and Jacuzzi are prime examples of genericization. The trademark to Escalator was eventually cancelled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.