Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
This is like the third time this story has run since the fact was revealed quite a long time ago.
Clickbait story. Gets people worked up and commenting. Yes we have the yearly story and outrage. See you next year… ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Morod

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
This is like the third time this story has run since the fact was revealed quite a long time ago.
Obviously. This isn't the only payment that has been made since Google has paid to be the default (which has been since the start). They typically pay every few years. This is just the most recent payment made and the biggest amount of $$$$$ reported so far. Therefore its news. Shocking!

Last edited:
Reactions: wbeasley

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
It's not a question of money for Apple.

It's a question of integrating the best search engine into the core Apple experience, which turns out to be Google, and even more awesome Google are willing to pay Apple $20bn for the privilege of being default search.

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
20 billion to be the default option that people would have manually switched to anyway if it wasn't the default.

I know Google is rich, but that's just a waste.
Completely agree, if Apple switched to Yahoo or Duck Duck go the majority at this point would just switch it back, people are addicted to Google and don't like to search anywhere else, it actually usually causes a physical response when I get people to try to search a different engine, and they will typically say the results arent relevant even before searching/give up not want to even try the search if they cant use google. It really is not a good spend for Google, they have humanity by the balls. On the flip side it's definitely great passive income for Apple.

Last edited:

basicuser

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2024
I have Bing, Ecosia, and DuckDuckGo set as the default search engines on different devices. My gawd do they suck compared to Google. I try to use them, but wind up going to Google for any serious search. I really don’t want to use Google because I don’t like their anti-privacy business model. But their competition just isn’t competitive. If Google is considered a monopoly, it isn‘t their fault.

Try Brave Search, I tried all the others that you can select for in Safari and they just weren’t giving me the results I wanted. There’s workarounds to make it work with Safari and Spotlight.

mike2q

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2006
But Safari (which they are paying for it to be the default search) by design blocks google trackers. iCloud if you subscribe hides your IP.The story behind this is very complicated. It isn't that simple despite the narrative being low hanging fruit.

Apple has added privacy features while (rightly as a public business) took this insane amount of basically free cash. People will EXPECT Google to be the default in this day and age... this is literally just taking free money. An insane amount of it apparently.

Lets not lie to ourselves here. Google isn't paying $20,000,000,000.00 a year for nothing. Apple markets itself as a privacy focused company because that works for them right now. As a publicly traded company they absolutely must grow or their stock price collapses. Unlike their competitors they have only one product that make them money and with phone sales stagnating, Apple car abandoned and the Vision Pro not getting any real traction where do they go? Services are what they talk about but I don't think Apple TV+ or Apple Music are the real services generator. I think its iCloud making the real money. Apple gives almost no free storage so once your photos are full you are almost forced to pay. Pay attention when Apple changed the default camera resolution from 12mp to 24mp. This wasn't a quality decision, this was a way to fill up your iCloud drive faster to generate that sweet sweet cash. While iCloud is a separate division and part of services it is still just an extension of the iPhone meaning without iPhone there is no Apple services revenue.

Lets do the math here. We have a company with investors that demand growth selling a product that has sales slowing worldwide. If Tim Cook can't make Apple grow then eventually he'll be replaced. If Apple is taking Googles money then they are already monetizing customer data. How long do you think it will take before he or his successor decides to go all in especially with government intervention stopping Apples ability to lock people in?

Closed systems and closed source software are liabilities for end users once the greed switch gets flipped.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Except, Google does not want that. That’s how trademarks become generic. We spent a lot of time on the topic in law school. Kleenex, Escalator, Jet Ski and Jacuzzi are prime examples of genericization. The trademark to Escalator was eventually cancelled.

I seriously honestly though Escalator, Jet Ski and Jacuzzi are the name of the invention.

jacobgkau

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2023
Google is the default search engine on Apple devices in most countries, but users can opt to swap to Yahoo, Bing, DuckDuckGo, and Ecosia as alternatives. Changing browser engines requires opening up the Safari settings.
"Browser engine" is an entirely different term that does not mean the same thing as "default search engine in a browser." You cannot change the browser engine of Safari, it's always WebKit.

I guess the author of this article, Juli, doesn't know how web browsers work.

Reactions: wbeasley and Morod

DingusMcChungus

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2024
I see similarities to Apple discussing with OpenAI and Gemini for their LLMs on iOS18. The talk has been Apple being behind in the AI game and paying to outsource but I suspect Apple is really taking bids for the rights to be default cloud AI service for iOS.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
A simple solution to this is that once you are a search engine of a specific size (market share) you can no longer participate in any auction to be set as default. That way Apple can still auction and sell a default in Safari, but Google can’t compete.

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
If search is worth 20 billion with heavy tracking and ads, maybe it could be worth 10 million to apple with no tracking and old fashioned dumb ads. Apple could buy DDG, rename it something sensible, improve the search results, and set that as the default search engine.

m4mario

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area
Did this search yesterday. The only thing anti-competitive is how poor Bing is compared to Google. Apple is just getting 20 'B's for free.

IMG_2587.jpg
IMG_2588.jpg

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Lets see what the payment is like for Google AI being embedded into iOS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.