Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Snowball is working again. My husband said he pulled it off the charger and it was dead as a doornail. He said a few choice words at it and tried one more time to power it on and on it went. I think he's a wizard. :eek:. I've seen him do stuff like that before with malfunctioning appliances and gadgets. So anyway I have no idea why it seemed to die and no idea why it resurrected. It's just one of those things I guess. :confused:

I'm typing on it now.

I would have thought it has something to do with being on the charger over an hour. It was not even close to out of charge though when it died. But I will keep an eye out for battery issues.
Glad it is working again!

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Way to go, Grumpydad!!!
I asked him again today exactly what he did besides threaten it. He said he first tried to turn it on while it was still plugged in. That did nothing. So he held down the power button while simultaneously pulling out the charging cable and yelling at it to “work”.

He thinks it was going from the direct current to the battery while trying to turn it on was what revived it.

I think he scared the gremlin that was hiding in it. ;)

I once read a short story, I think it was by Stephen King, about little imps that infiltrate electronics and cause them to malfunction. I’m starting to believe it may be true. :D

Last edited:

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Guess my XL 2 is not meant to be updated at all. Stuck on the Aug 5th 2018 patch.

Tried to manually flash the latest factory image, not ota, the actual 1.7gb full image and nothing

./flash-all.sh

And it terminal just hangs. As if it doesn't know what to do. I modified the script, made sure ./ Was in the commands, removed the -w, left the script as is. Nothing...

Ok, so go to system settings check for update and I'm current. No update available.

My OnePlus 6 will update no problem. Rooted and all. Pixel? Nope.

There was a time I was actually decent at this stuff.:(

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Guess my XL 2 is not meant to be updated at all. Stuck on the Aug 5th 2018 patch.

Tried to manually flash the latest factory image, not ota, the actual 1.7gb full image and nothing

./flash-all.sh

And it terminal just hangs. As if it doesn't know what to do. I modified the script, made sure ./ Was in the commands, removed the -w, left the script as is. Nothing...

Ok, so go to system settings check for update and I'm current. No update available.

Wait, what happened?

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Wait, what happened?

No updates. I got one more idea and that's to use my old MBP to see if it'll flash the image.

This blasted XL 2 has never updated right

MBP couldn't help either. I tried everything to get the dang .sh file to run and actually do something.

Even changed the paths in the .sh file to point directly to the needed files.

Nothing. Just sits there. No messages or errors.

I'm done :(

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
No updates. I got one more idea and that's to use my old MBP to see if it'll flash the image.

This blasted XL 2 has never updated right

MBP couldn't help either. I tried everything to get the dang .sh file to run and actually do something.

Even changed the paths in the .sh file to point directly to the needed files.

Nothing. Just sits there. No messages or errors.

I'm done :(
Oh goodness. I’m so sorry to hear that. I wonder what on earth is going on with it.

Reactions: slitherjef

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Oh goodness. I’m so sorry to hear that. I wonder what on earth is going on with it.

Not sure. I'm thinking about seeing if I can get twrp installed on it, then running a backup then try to find a decent rom and probably lose my Google photo storage.

I'm not sure about trying to manually flash every single file in the factory image, I can see a brick happening in that case. :eek:

But I'll probably wait a bit longer before going the rom method since I think I got the flu :(

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

./flash-all.sh

don't you need to enter shell first? (sorry if that's not the right term). when I need to run shell scripts on my mac, I type "sh" first in the terminal... e.g. "sh flash-all.sh" (do this command where your shell script is residing).

(https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/235128/how-do-i-run-a-sh-or-command-file-in-terminal; first answer)

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
don't you need to enter shell first? (sorry if that's not the right term). when I need to run shell scripts on my mac, I type "sh" first in the terminal... e.g. "sh flash-all.sh" (do this command where your shell script is residing).

(https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/235128/how-do-i-run-a-sh-or-command-file-in-terminal; first answer)

Hmmm, never thought of that. I thought using terminal was shell? With that being said, I'm still a *nix noob.

I'll do a bit more research and give it a try again once I'm more perky. :)

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
My xl2 has started acting up. I have noticed a few times when on a phone call the screen is blacked out and can not get it to show up for anything

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

Yeah, not 100% sure, not an expert I just have a . Sh script I run every now and then in terminal, and have to start with sh and then script name

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Not sure. I'm thinking about seeing if I can get twrp installed on it, then running a backup then try to find a decent rom and probably lose my Google photo storage.

I'm not sure about trying to manually flash every single file in the factory image, I can see a brick happening in that case. :eek:

But I'll probably wait a bit longer before going the rom method since I think I got the flu :(
Yikes well that is all definitely beyond my skill set. I’m sorry you’re coming down with something. I hope you feel better soon.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I decided to try again!

Tried sh flash-all.sh

nothing. Sometimes it would say file not found.

So found a guide to use TWRP to sideload the update, found a guide but decided to use the twrp manager to install twrp so installed the twrp manager via twrp and I guess that was not right because I could not boot out of twrp. Not only that half the time touch screen would not work. Finally after a while I hit slot A and after 10 minutes something other then the twrp screen, I now have the google screen, just bootloop hung.

Nice. Really nice. Can only seem to boot into twrp. Well, I can reboot the G screen boot loop.

Nice. I can't even...:(:mad:

--

EDIT:
Well, I did manage 2 things:
1) I managed to get the thing into the boot loader
2) I was able to power it off instead of having it just reboot and hang at the G logo.

So, I might be able to either side load the update (from the full factory image)
or find the boot image and hope it will boot the thing up.

Right now, its off and I am taking a break from it probably for the night.

--
Edit 2

Managed to get the computer to send the side load only to have twrp tell me its an invalid zip file.
Tried to reflash the boot image and computer sat there <waiting for device>

I've hung it up for the night :(:(

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I decided to try again!

Tried sh flash-all.sh

nothing. Sometimes it would say file not found.

So found a guide to use TWRP to sideload the update, found a guide but decided to use the twrp manager to install twrp so installed the twrp manager via twrp and I guess that was not right because I could not boot out of twrp. Not only that half the time touch screen would not work. Finally after a while I hit slot A and after 10 minutes something other then the twrp screen, I now have the google screen, just bootloop hung.

Nice. Really nice. Can only seem to boot into twrp. Well, I can reboot the G screen boot loop.

Nice. I can't even...:(:mad:

--

EDIT:
Well, I did manage 2 things:
1) I managed to get the thing into the boot loader
2) I was able to power it off instead of having it just reboot and hang at the G logo.

So, I might be able to either side load the update (from the full factory image)
or find the boot image and hope it will boot the thing up.

Right now, its off and I am taking a break from it probably for the night.

--
Edit 2

Managed to get the computer to send the side load only to have twrp tell me its an invalid zip file.
Tried to reflash the boot image and computer sat there <waiting for device>

I've hung it up for the night :(:(

dang! sorry to hear that! I remember one time the one time I rooted my Pixel 2 XL, I ran into an issue with the a/b partitioning when I was trying to return to stock. I ended up in soft brick but found a tutorial on XDA on how to get out of it and flash someone's home made script to get the a/b partion sorted and then flash the files

also, one thing you can try to do instead of running the "flash all" script is just open the script and manually type each command line in terminal. I've had to do that before on my mac as I usually don't have good luck with "flash all" scripts.

Let me see if I can find the aforementioned script on XDA...

EDIT: also, make sure you have grabbed the latest platform-tools i.e. fastboot and adb
[doublepost=1548091544][/doublepost]
dang! sorry to hear that! I remember one time the one time I rooted my Pixel 2 XL, I ran into an issue with the a/b partitioning when I was trying to return to stock. I ended up in soft brick but found a tutorial on XDA on how to get out of it and flash someone's home made script to get the a/b partion sorted and then flash the files

also, one thing you can try to do instead of running the "flash all" script is just open the script and manually type each command line in terminal. I've had to do that before on my mac as I usually don't have good luck with "flash all" scripts.

Let me see if I can find the aforementioned script on XDA...

EDIT: also, make sure you have grabbed the latest platform-tools i.e. fastboot and adb

EDIT2:

I believe this is the script I used to get me back to stock when I was having issues booting:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/pi...ol-deuces-bootloop-recovery-flashing-t3704761

and FYI on using "flash all" scripts on Mac (maybe you were already doing this?)
https://forum.xda-developers.com/pi...y-flashing-t3704761/post75483700#post75483700

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Trying another crack at this...

First thing I am trying to get adb and platform tools updated, I'm running adb version 1.0.40

I'm not sure if this up to date. Do I just download the platform tools zip file, extract it and copy past and overwrite the current files in the platform-tools folder?

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Welp, updated ADB and platform-tools by copy past overwrite.

Did not help. Still unable to run the sh script. No matter if I sudo or sh then script name or even dragging the script over to the terminal window. It will open the script up to edit though.

I even downloaded a custom rom on the computer, and tried pushing the file to the phones sdcard and it said I had no udev permission. Then it told me no emulator or what ever not found. I tried sudo. I tried regular. I tried almost everything I could think of aside from doing a factory reset.

I even pulled the boot.img file in hopes to flash it but all I get is "waiting for device"

Sure sounds like I did something idiotic to my device. All I did was go into twrp to flash the twrp manager zip file. I guess I shouldn't have done that. Actually before that, I tried to update this device.

I have had NOTHING but trouble with this thing. Having nothing but trouble with Linux also. I guess this is what happens when one don't conform to the microsoft or apple standards and want to use and do obscure computer stuff. Never have I had so many issues with devices.

I am not even sure if I want the XL 3 I got as a replacement that is supposed to arrive soon :(

--
Edit
Fastboot devices will give me the string of numbers I'm looking for...

Any command I issue results in <waiting for device>

Flashing an image
Pushing a file
Changing active slot

All results in <waiting for device>

It's almost as if the phone is blocking everything.

I think it's a paperweight :(

Last edited:

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Holy cow, I think I fixed it! :eek:

All the frustrations I had with Linux, I gave windows 10 a try and took maybe 10 minutes of downloading ADB and platform tools and the factory image, thinking it was not going to work, moved the files to where I thought they needed to be, cmd prompt to the platform tools, ran the batch file. And off it went!

Starting from scratch, but its no longer a brick!:eek:

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Holy cow, I think I fixed it! :eek:

All the frustrations I had with Linux, I gave windows 10 a try and took maybe 10 minutes of downloading ADB and platform tools and the factory image, thinking it was not going to work, moved the files to where I thought they needed to be, cmd prompt to the platform tools, ran the batch file. And off it went!

Starting from scratch, but its no longer a brick!:eek:

nice work!

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Thanks!
I think what it came down to other then lack of user experience is there was a failure to communicate between Linux and the device. Kind of seemed like I was trying to find my way out of a forest from the middle of it. I am glad this worked! It was scary with out my XL 2 lol
So glad for you!
What do you think the difference was? Did Linux not have the right drivers?
Maybe it was authentication? Linux might have been blocking access?

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
So glad for you!
What do you think the difference was? Did Linux not have the right drivers?
Maybe it was authentication? Linux might have been blocking access?

I think it may have been a permission issue as well as a driver. Before I hung it up for the night I did manage to get Linux to flash the boot image and thus got rid of TWRP but I still could not boot. Even wiped the device and same thing. There was sudo, udev devplug and other misc stuff I kept needing to do, in the end it was like a snipe hunt to find the information and the info I did find seemed to only be a part of the puzzle.

It could have been I was trying to do too much with Linux without knowing the basics or what I needed, or going whole hog or what not.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I think it may have been a permission issue as well as a driver. Before I hung it up for the night I did manage to get Linux to flash the boot image and thus got rid of TWRP but I still could not boot. Even wiped the device and same thing. There was sudo, udev devplug and other misc stuff I kept needing to do, in the end it was like a snipe hunt to find the information and the info I did find seemed to only be a part of the puzzle.

It could have been I was trying to do too much with Linux without knowing the basics or what I needed, or going whole hog or what not.
I have had a lot of issues flashing roms on Linux and my Macs but never from a Windows VM on one of my Macs...

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
This week I bought my GF an iPhone XR as an upgrade from her raging S6 Edge Plus. At first sight I had phone envy but after using it for 2min I quickly came to the conclusion that I won't buy an iPhone anytime soon. The reasons are:

Unlocking the phone is laborious: You have to press the power button, look at the phone and then swipe up. Because of the finger print reader my Pixel is unlocked by the time I lay my eye on it after taking it out of my pocket.

No camera short cut button: Waking up the phone and swiping to open camera is not as quick as double taping the power button on my Pixel which enables me to quickly snap photos one handed. This is god sent when you are a busy parent.

Simple features are buried in settings: Want to tweak camera features? Go to the home screen, open settings and then scroll to camera. Want to toggle location tracking? Again, go into setting. Why does.

Photo sharing: On Android when viewing a photo I can tap share and get a plethora of sharing options to recent contacts/groups whether in WhatsApp, Email, Facebook Messages or Instagram.

No notch: I know having one is becoming the norm and that you get used to it but it's an eyesore of an excuse for calling a phone "bezel less".

To sum up, I like my Pixel 2 even more now and it will take a serious leap in speed, camera technology or design to convince me to upgrade. :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.