Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google is rumored to be working on a new wireless charging stand that could deliver 23W of charging power to its upcoming Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro phones, according to a leaked inventory image published by Android Police.

Pixel_Stand_23W_668x445.png.jpg
Image via Android Police.

If true, that would beat the iPhone 12's maximum 15W wireless charging speed (or 12W on ‌iPhone 12 mini‌) using Apple's MagSafe charger, and would be another one-up for the Pixel 6 phones, which are already shaping up to be a respectable rival to the upcoming iPhone 13 expected to launch this month.

With a ‌MagSafe‌ charger and Apple's 20W power adapter or another appropriate 20W+ PD 3.0 charger, it takes about an hour to charge an ‌iPhone 12‌ from zero to 50 percent, which is double the time that it takes to charge using a USB-C to Lightning cable and a 20W+ USB-C power adapter.

Charging with a ‌MagSafe‌ charger is faster than charging with a Qi-based charger, which maxes out at 7.5W, but for the fastest charging speed a wired charging connection using a Lightning to USB-C cable is still the best.

For iPhones, that is. Last year's OnePlus 8 Pro came with a 30W "Warp" charger, and this year's OnePlus 9 Pro will support 50W wireless charging speeds thanks to the next-generation Warp charger, which is capable of charging a dead phone to full power in 43 minutes – faster than an iPhone plugged directly into a 20W charger.

Apple's longtime goal has been an iPhone with no external ports or buttons for a clean, streamlined device, but until it can improve the maximum 15W charging speed of MagSafe or come up with another wireless alternative, that's unlikely to happen.

In 2016, Apple was rumored to be partnering with Energous to deliver a "true wireless charging" solution, but nothing has come from it so far. Apple is still believed to be researching new wireless charging technologies, and with the advent of MagSafe on iPhone 12 models, the company is clearly still interested in innovating ways to power devices.

The iPhone 13 and future iPhones are expected to continue to use Lightning ports with the option of MagSafe until a more viable wireless charging solution comes along that allows for a portless iPhone design.

Article Link: Google Pixel 6 Rumored to Support 23W Wireless Charging, Beating iPhone 12's MagSafe

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
Any Android phones have Satellite communication? Like the iPhone 13 or 14?

Thats the feature I want.

I live in the Desert , JOSHUA TREE CA.

I want this feature in case all hell breaks loose and the United States gets nuked.

It's why I bought a home in the desert.

or been thinking of living off a boat full time in Australia.

Some disaster is gonna happen in the USA. it's only a matter of time.

And I think Cell phones that can utilize satellite communication is an awesome move.

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021
I wonder if we will see improved charging speeds on the 13? There are rumours of stronger magnets, could this mean that there are other improvements to MagSafe incoming?

himanshumodi

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
India

I want this feature in case all hell breaks loose and the United States gets nuked.

And I think Cell phones that can utilize satellite communication is an awesome move.
One aspect of a post-apocalyptic society I look forward to is that there will be no mobile phones.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
I still don't find "wireless" charging very exciting.

Are there any physical limitations like heating etc. because of which Apple always seems to cap the charging speed? Or is there some particularly clever, patented tech in those OnePlus phones which iPhones are still catching up to?

Heat is one aspect, but higher charging speed also reduces the overall battery life. That's fine if you only want to keep your phone for a year or two, but for a hand-me-down, quick-charge stuff is problematic.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
It’s not a coincidence that there has been a decline in Android users wanting to convert to iOS. Pixel 6 and the new version of Android seem to be very promising.
Predicting it will fail big times, nothing special about a pixel using a exynos chip with a google logo on it. ???? ?‍♂️?

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada

i hate to be the one to break it to you....low orbit comm's wont work if a giant nuclear bomb hits.....and also the ip13 wont have it anyway.

SmugMaverick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2017
UK
Never bothered with wireless charging until it got past 5W speed, now i have loads of wireless chargers all over the place including a MagSafe on the bed stand.

If the Pixel 6 continues to show that it really is a high end phone at last, I'll be in.

SmugMaverick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2017
UK
It’s not a coincidence that there has been a decline in Android users wanting to convert to iOS. Pixel 6 and the new version of Android seem to be very promising.

Yep, it does sound like Google are finally all in on premium devices and Android 12 is stunning.

If the camera is as good as rumoured and video recording is finally superb then it might be the Android phone people have been waiting for.

After the arrogance of Apple over the iCloud spyware crap, this will be the Android I'm most interested in.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Yep, it does sound like Google are finally all in on premium devices and Android 12 is stunning.

If the camera is as good as rumoured and video recording is finally superb then it might be the Android phone people have been waiting for.

After the arrogance of Apple over the iCloud spyware crap, this will be the Android I'm most interested in.

Do we really have to do this dance every year?

Around this time, rumours start hitting the blogosphere about how some disadvantage will presumably impact iPhone sales, or how some android killer feature will help sell more competing phones.

And then the iPhone is released and proceeds to blow past earning estimates. And the much vaunted google phones flounder.

Oh, and it will be available in only 2 countries.

It’s almost as though google actually wants their own flagship phone to fail.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I'd rather have Magsafe, what an awesome innovation. It's not even rocket science, case makers and mount makers have been including magnets and metal plates for years now.

tridley68

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2014

Probably not yet they haven't had time to copy 🍏Apple

AirunJae

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Indianapolis, IN

I totally agree that Android 12 looks great and I'm really interested in the Pixel 6 Pro as well. That said, I don't see how Apple is any worse than every other cloud photo service that has been directly scanning the photos when you upload them for years.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
The big news is Google is going to start making their own ARM CPU's for their Chromebooks - total gut punch for Intel and AMD in the market there.

Denzo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2009
Australia

If privacy is your concern I somehow don’t think google is your answer

Reactions: SFjohn and AirunJae
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.