Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
A lot of people comparing with Apple watch (obviously), but a better comparison might be samsung watches, which looked pretty nice imo. No way the Google watch will be as slim as the renders though.

That said, I prefer the square of apple watch personally. With the steel/aluminum cases, the bands, the rhinoshield like cases, you can make it look any way you prefer. Haters can hate all they want, but the market has clearly spoken with the popularity of apple watch. I love mine too.
In order to test your hypothesis, Apple need to release a round watch and then it is possible to conclude about the market choices. It has not something to do with hate, it has to do with personal preference. I like a round watches. It does not mean that I hate square one - I just do't buy one.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
We’ll see how’s battery life, for me this is key. I wear a Mi Band because I only charge it twice per month. If the Apple Watch had better battery life (let’s say, 5 days, to be realistic), I would definitely get one. But having to charge another device every day (or every other day if I’m lucky)... No thanks

Reactions: amartinez1660

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Apple needs to improve the battery life of their Apple Watch, the battery life now is not great.
To be honest unless they can make it many times better than it is now then I don't really care - an incremental benefit would be pointless as far as I can see. I charge it every night, so it makes no difference whether it has 25% or 50% or even 100% charge left when I charge it. The only thing that would make a difference would be something that gets me out of the habit of charging every night, such as an all-week battery life maybe.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
It looks nice and I hope Apple eventually move to the round form at some point.
I’ve said this many times in various settings but while round analog watches make sense, round digital watches do not. Round smart watches make less sense. How many circular computer monitors do you have? How many circular smartphones do you have? A circle is an inefficient use of space. A circle has 78.5% the surface area of a square with a side == the diameter. It’s less usable space. The upside is you can make an apparently (but not actually) larger screen be lighter because 20% of the screen is missing by using a circle instead of a rectangle.

Oblivious.Robot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
It's coming right after they launch the new round iPhone.

iphone-pi-concept-1.png
I suppose, anyway who wants a bigger phones? "You can't get your hand around it. No one's going to buy that."
Apple is never going to make anything bigger than current iPhone 4, mark my words. Right?

- Typed from an iPhone 12 Pro Max. :)

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I suppose, anyway who wants a bigger phones? "You can't get your hand around it. No one's going to buy that."
Apple is never going to make anything bigger than current iPhone 4, mark my words. Right?

- Typed from an iPhone 12 Pro Max. :)
Nobody asked your opinion King Kong! :p

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
So Google can market it as a (poor) point of difference to the market leader ?

Lets hope things like this get sorted then -

"Google’s Wear OS is often called neglected, and honestly, it’s an apt description when you hear stories like this. For the past few months, the “Hey Google” hotword on Wear OS has been broken.

Reports on Reddit and the Google Issue Tracker show that the “OK Google” and “Hey Google” hotwords to trigger Assistant have not been working on Wear OS smartwatches. The issue apparently first showed up around November 2020 and has gone mostly unnoticed in the time since aside from the occasional Reddit thread."

Can you imagine the baying for blood on here if this was broken on an AW for a day let alone months as it took Google 4 months to fix.....
Funny you mention that, SIRI has been of the rails for our family for the last few weeks. Sometimes even the simplest requests get FUBAR’ed. My “goodnight” routine that hasn’t changed in two years stopped working. As well as a few other automations.

“Hey Siri, turn on the kitchen light.”
Light turns on
”Sorry, the kitchen light is not responding.”
Well Siri it came on before you said that. I guess you two are like a married couple now? ?

Reactions: miq and DeepIn2U

GMacAppleUser

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2020
Thank goodness! Now that android users have their own watch, I'll be able to quickly identify green texters and avoid association with them. Nothing worse than becoming friendly with someone and then learning you can't add them to a group chat with advertising their Poor status.

• Haha
Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

RedGT

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2014
London innit
I’ve said this many times in various settings but while round analog watches make sense, round digital watches do not. Round smart watches make less sense. How many circular computer monitors do you have? How many circular smartphones do you have? A circle is an inefficient use of space. A circle has 78.5% the surface area of a square with a side == the diameter. It’s less usable space. The upside is you can make an apparently (but not actually) larger screen be lighter because 20% of the screen is missing by using a circle instead of a rectangle.
I think there’s nothing wrong with round watches & comparing them to monitors or smart-phones is ridiculous.

watches are wearable.....so totally different, some of the Diesel watches look nice and you have almost an an unlimited choice of watcfaces. I have a Fossil explorist that looks pretty nice in my opinion and Wear OS works surprisingly well with my iPhone....it’s just a pity the battery life is so unpredictable.

I really enjoyed wearing my Fossil, but as I said the battery life ruined the experience.

170C33FC-087E-47A9-A2FF-E492C48548E2.jpeg
E215190E-A5EF-4353-8D84-0E4E0CD71030.jpeg
592CD7B6-8DD3-4595-B7B9-03BFC4384978.jpeg
1CA1703C-80E7-445A-A096-E5205A965598.jpeg
6CF5A357-ED77-4225-9629-D317D93CBBA6.jpeg
904BFA72-A464-46DA-A6A3-FA245505B88F.jpeg

Attachments

• 64796E39-BFBE-470A-B354-09505F0E1D7A.jpeg
    64796E39-BFBE-470A-B354-09505F0E1D7A.jpeg
    29.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
For all the people hating: You realise this basically looks like 1:1 if you made a round apple watch? seriously, even the digital crown...

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
That said, I prefer the square of apple watch personally. With the steel/aluminum cases, the bands, the rhinoshield like cases, you can make it look any way you prefer. Haters can hate all they want, but the market has clearly spoken with the popularity of apple watch. I love mine too.
I don't hate square watches. I just don't like them enough to want to buy one.

If the Apple Watch were round, I'd buy one instantly. But it's not, so I haven't.

And I'm not interested in being tracked by Google, so that's out too.

Life's full of choices. Mine, for now, is no watch.
s-l1600.jpg

4look4rd

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2009
This should appeal to all the "purists" claiming that watches should be round. ones that never saw a nice square Omega or Audemars Piguet.
There are nice square watches,but the Apple Watch isn’t one of them. You’re trading in looks for functionality and that’s fine, but just don’t lie to yourself the Apple Watch looks good Especially compared to watches in the $500+ range (sure more than the Apple Watch but they will last a lifetime instead of 2-5 years).

Reactions: miq

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I don't hate square watches. I just don't like them enough to want to buy one.

If the Apple Watch were round, I'd buy one instantly. But it's not, so I haven't.

And I'm not interested in being tracked by Google, so that's out too.

Life's full of choices. Mine, for now, is no watch. View attachment 1756736

Love the picture. I remember seeing my first square watch, and fell in love. I guess it appealed to the 'rebel' in me. What stopped me was the price. It was a very expensive watch at a very expensive end of a cruise jewelry counter. (Great prices? For whom?)

But I understand the appeal of a round watch. I dove a lot, and was looking for a dive computer, and grew to hate the square and rectangular 'computers', and bought a round one. It was purely functional, as it didn't hang up on things. (And then the company that made it was sold three times, and gutted by a Wall Street parasite, but that's another story)

If the Apple Watch had sharper corners, I'd have not considered it, flat out. There are limits...

EDIT: Actually making a round face on a square/rectangular watch became THE WATCH TO OWN for quite a long time. They were really very popular. People copied that design as much as they could. Some said it was 'revolutionary'. I had a hard time figuring out that statement, but anyway...

Reactions: tubular

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The renders actually remind me ones you’d see for round Apple Watch concepts which were ridiculous because you’d never get all day battery life out of something that thin. So either this watch does not much more than tell time or these renders aren’t legit.

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
"Google’s Wear OS is often called neglected, and honestly, it’s an apt description when you hear stories like this. For the past few months, the “Hey Google” hotword on Wear OS has been broken.

Reports on Reddit and the Google Issue Tracker show that the “OK Google” and “Hey Google” hotwords to trigger Assistant have not been working on Wear OS smartwatches. The issue apparently first showed up around November 2020 and has gone mostly unnoticed in the time since aside from the occasional Reddit thread."
I sympathize, given my Nest Protect is the flakiest device in my home. Won‘t be buying Google hardware ever again.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
This site is a little hypocritical sometimes. You know how manny comments there would be right know praising apple, saying thank god Ive is Gone, ETC - if this watch had an Apple logo on it and it was round?

Now I would never let Google be collecting data on my body with every single heartbeat, step, movement, ETC.. that just seems scary. I could care less how good it looks. Do you trust Google with the second by second operations of your body? Yea, no thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.