Google Poaches Top Mobile Chip Designer John Bruno From Apple

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 23, 2017.

1. newyorksole macrumors 68040

I’m sure Apple says no to a lot of things Lol. They don’t just release every service/product they think of...

2. supercoolmanchu, Dec 23, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2017

supercoolmanchu macrumors regular

supercoolmanchu

Yep, but you’re working way too hard. He never left the company, which was the crux of mazdamiata’s obviously incorrect premise.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 23, 2017 ---
    A competitive work environment is not toxic, it’s healthy for a tech company.

A day care mentality is not suited for the cutting edge.

Bosses need to get mad sometimes, and Kleenex has had a very long lead in a very stable market because feelings are the most easily repaired things out there.

3. sevvere Suspended

sevvere

I’m sure when Apple grabs other companies employees, Macrumors calls these hirings POACHING too .... right?

Yawn

4. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Ok but Tim is having a disastrous year with bugs. I’m not sure any year could compare with Steve in charge.

5. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

“But muh toxic work environment”. Spot on about performance being important to Jobs. And tbh, relaxed standards are more of a general characteristic nowadays.
    Only influential thing Cook does is play politician. That will not keep Apple alive. As we’ve seen, politics usually don’t help companies much (either side) because you end up alienating someone.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Remember MobileMe? Get out of here with your ******** revisionism.

7. MyMacintosh macrumors 6502

MyMacintosh

Wow. Not even gonna lie, Im one of the people who wasn't/isn't really bothered by the notch, but this video is giving me a different perspective. Its absolutely hideous.

8. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

That was a service, which you didn't have to use. Not an entire OS.

9. Kabeyun, Dec 23, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2017

Kabeyun macrumors 65816

Kabeyun

Looking to see if the same people who have been outraged at Apple’s poaching are also outraged here. Doesn’t seem so thus far. Telling.

Ah! It must be better because you declared it! Lol!

10. Delgibbons macrumors 6502a

Delgibbons

Um. That fusion chip. I thought it was way ahead?!

11. macdave91 macrumors newbie

Did someone hurry your feelings? On behalf of the entire internet, we're so sorry.

12. Delgibbons macrumors 6502a

Delgibbons

Yeah the iPhones SOC is a match. But only for a year, then it's throttled back to the speed of a Samsung Galaxy S3 :p

13. Applebot1 macrumors 6502a

Anyone can be ‘poached’ at a price. Part of the game all top companies play.

14. Kangastu macrumors member

Kangastu

At this level surely they must have non-compete clauses in their contracts requiring a period of garden leave before than can work for a competitor? I work in a family business (although I’m not a family member) and I’ve got one! I can’t imagine Apple or Google wants staff in high places taking IP or ideas and theory to the competition.

15. nutjob, Dec 23, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2017

nutjob macrumors 6502a

All non-compete clauses are illegal in California, and they should be everywhere.

So is "garden leave." So is anything else that tries to have the same effect.

16. pika2000 macrumors 68040

Do you even watch the video? Are you even listening to what Jobs was saying?
    Apple's vision has been the same, making great computing products for the mere mortals. Even Steve Jobs acknowledged that the future is something that is portable, wireless, and simpler, thus iPhones and iPads. If you like Steve Jobs so much, go and listen to his analogy of trucks and cars.

And mobility, wireless, are what Apple's been focusing, with the Ax, Tx, Wx, all of these silicones are the building blocks. And Apple has been saying no, to the old PC boxes, DIY computers, etc.

People move jobs everytime. Heck, if you like nostalgia, look at Rubenstein, Fadell, those were great people in Apple, and they left for one reason or another, and Steve Jobs was still in the helm.

Go watch the video again, and listen how Jobs said Apple were getting a lot of flack from people and media for saying no. Sounds like this is what Apple is facing today as well, where people are bashing Apple and Cook to no end despite their decision to remain true to their vision and march on.

17. Kangastu macrumors member

Kangastu

That’s a good thing (and something I didn’t know).

18. jimbobb24 macrumors 6502a

This is sad Apple is losing chip people. Their chips are one of the places they still have a huge lead.

19. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

I hope Google starts coming up with custom designs then, that would be awesome (assuming they're at Apple's level anyway). It would be interesting to see Samsung, Google, and Apple all putting out their own cpus.

20. pika2000 macrumors 68040

Even Xiaomi is making their own.

Remember the phrase those who love software should make their own hardware?

The catch with Google is, if they went full speed with their own design, will they alienate their own Android platform and the numerous partners? I mean I bet even Samsung is already weary of Google competing in the flagship arena (with the help of competitors to boot, LG and HTC).

21. tito2020 macrumors 6502a

Apple already made there money for the next 10 years so whats the big deal

22. twennywonn macrumors regular

If only there was a way to measure his performance.

Attached Files:

23. leland25 macrumors newbie

The guy spent 15 years at ATI/AMD (same company) and 5 years at Apple. In tech thats as loyal as they come . Look at the career path, ATI/AMD, Apple and now Google. Its the stuff dreams are made of.
    All have landed well it would seem. I doubt any one of those 3 are hurting for cash.

24. thasan macrumors 6502a

“Update” us next year please ;)
    Google’s chip? It will have a built in ad platform co processor :p

25. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Maybe given that he was at Apple for roughly 5 years.