Google Poaches Top Mobile Chip Designer John Bruno From Apple

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Wildkraut macrumors 6502a

Wildkraut

Well, in a year the iPhone will be slower due to the throttle. Heh

2. itsmilo macrumors 68000

itsmilo

Can you just do that? Once you reach a certain level here, they usually add a clause that you are not allowed to work in the same field at another competitor for like a year

3. DeepIn2U macrumors 601

DeepIn2U

This for sure has a lot of Apple users a bit nervous but there are always top team members in all areas available for their expertise.

Well said!!

I can name two Apple executives hat have left and returns to Apple.

Federighi
    TChai (head of Newton, returned and gave us iPad Pro 12” & 9.7” head of iPad Marketing) - when Jobs iced the Newton there was nothing left for TChai to remain but he improved his skills and marketing elsewhere and returned to Apple giving them strength.

4. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

There are people on the OnePlus reddit using the original OnePlus One from 4 years ago and it still works just like it did on day 1. It's not a Samsung with touchwiz that slows down after a month.

5. nt5672 macrumors 65816

Previously with Jobs people bailed that could not take the pressure and/or could not perform. I've worked in that situation and at the end of the day each person has to have the confidence and knowledge to handle it. But good people stay and excel under this leadership. Its tough and its challenging, but none the less qualified people rise to the top.

Today, Apple management is, in my opinion, not able to differentiate the people that are qualified and perform versus the people with brown noses. So good people get passed over and leave. Apple now has people making decisions they are not qualified to make and that are not in the best interest of Apple long term. Its sad, but I don't think the situation will change with Cook at the helm.

6. Glockworkorange macrumors 6502a

Glockworkorange

You forgot to mention the white iPhone 4 mess.

7. Millah macrumors 6502a

iPhone OS 2.0 and OSX 10.0-10.3 were far more buggy than anything from iOS 7-11. It’s not even a comparison.

Fact. Not nostalgia.

8. jarred125 macrumors 6502a

One would expect an emerging platform to have more bugs. The level of defect in iOS 11 is unacceptable.

9. pika2000 macrumors 68040

I have the OnePlus One. OnePlus was lucky. The lollipop update for it was horrible, even starting the camera lagged for a few seconds. MM saved its bacon. But then it’s stuck with 2016 security update. So give or take.

I can share a similar problem with battery, my Xperia Z. It suffers battery issue and ended up shutting down and not recharging at random Times. Sony decided not to do anything. Meanwhile, in comparison with this, Apple decided to adjust the SoC to compensate. With the Sony, I was not throttled, but I had a brick. With the iPhone, at least it is usable.

Of course, Apple could’ve done better, ie give a warning of battery needing service like Macs.

10. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

Everyone has a different definition of "usable".
    --- Post Merged, Dec 24, 2017 ---
    Thank you.

11. pika2000 macrumors 68040

My Xperia Z was a brick, it literally shutting down by random and couldn't charge properly. Are you saying that's more usable than a slower iPhone?

12. LovingTeddy macrumors 65816

LovingTeddy

Yes... Once you replace the battery, it will be fine. Unlike Apple, you don't even know your battery is dying and Apple does not want yoy to know. Some users even report Apple refused to replace their battery.

I have 4 years old Moto G OG, still runs fine. I don't get how 1000 dollar iPhone will have battery problem after merely one or two years run. Apple must be wanting people upgrade their iPhone.

13. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

Yes, exactly. Because dying fast and not charging are signs of a bad battery. $20 and I can swap it out in 10 minutes. Besides I have older devices (before iOS 10) which operate perfectly fine and they are well over their battery count. What's that say? This is a software issue, not a battery issue.

14. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

I think he’s saying Android is more efficient and faster than Android and making its own processor will only make that difference more pronounced.

15. qawes macrumors regular

qawes

Google competing directly with the companies that use their open source software = not a good idea.

Regardless of the chips that they will develop/use, I cannot see their Pixel line going further than Microsoft hardware.

Funny how al these companies that criticise Apple actually end up just as immitators.

16. PJivan, Dec 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2017

PJivan macrumors regular

PJivan

You never loose the opportunity to embarrass yourself, he was hired by the Tim Cook era, an era were Apple chipset became the fastest of the market while in the Steve era they were lagging behind, from consumer product to workstations, to PR and engineers they do all wrong and you seems to know more than Apple.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 26, 2017 ---
    Yeah no animation is obviously faster, uglier but faster, try that with any OS but it says nothing about soc speed, this is why it takes more than double the time to convert a 4k video

17. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

There is an animation. I have the phone in my hand typing this.

I don't convert 4k video and neither do the majority of people. The few who do, certainty don't depend on their phone to do that for them.

18. PJivan, Dec 26, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2017

PJivan macrumors regular

PJivan

I do as well, try another launcher and you will get what I mean, transition effect are super fast, this give a sense of "speed", not to say that it's a bad thing, I like the minimalistic transitions but in terms of raw power is just a snapdragon

19. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

OnePlus launcher is fine, I wouldn't use another one. Also Apple is 2 generations ahead of the competition when it comes to 64 bit chips. In 2 years a snapdragon will be just as powerful as what we have today from Apple. But what good is all that power when it's being throttled back from heat and battery wear?

20. recoil80 macrumors 68000

We don't know how much Google is going to pay him. Maybe he loved his job at Apple but Google is paying a lot more and he wants to pursue new challenges, maybe he was tired of working at Apple.
    Google is poaching employees, so is Apple. They may hire people from AMD, Intel Qualcomm...

21. Donoban macrumors 6502a

Donoban

Do you truely believe that is what a remarkable workplace looks like? Fear of punishment = great outcomes.

If you do, you’re going to be in for a real surprise when you’re a ceo.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 26, 2017 ---
    In IT, 5 years in the one job is like a million in any other industry.

I think good on him for taking on new challenges.

Who knows. He could be back at Apple in 2023.

22. nt5672, Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2017

nt5672 macrumors 65816

Have been both CEO and CTO and there is a lot of room between my understand of Cook and Jobs capacity to tolerate mediocre or poor performance. In order to be fair to everyone (using todays politically correct definition) one has to have a huge tolerance for poor performance. That is Cook in a nutshell. He values the idea of political correct fairness over performance.

Otherwise, a lot of people that enjoy protection only because of their race or sex (which is real racism and sexism BTW) would not be around. Good performance has nothing to do with race or sex. There are top performers within every race and sex and they don't need any protection. And they know it.

In addition, there is a huge difference between fear of punishment for random reasons and fear of punishment for lack of performance. The first is used by poor managers and supervisors, the later by good managers. Don't know which Jobs was, never worked for him.

But without punishment for poor performance there is no drive for excellence. To believe otherwise requires one was raised by snowflakes, one never told they made mistakes, and were lead to believe this is the way the world works.

When the poor performers get the same raises and accolades as the good ones (which is now standard in our public schools), the goods one take a knee. Why perform when all they have to do is show up?

23. Donoban macrumors 6502a

Donoban

Thank you for the reply.

I believe 3 chances and then you’re gone. But done in a humane way that respects the person.

If that is poor performance, ie. not delivering on your promises. Then fair enough.

But failure for a product to hit the mark isn’t poor performance in my opinion. It takes guts to put something out there , to be criticised and judged by others.

Give me someone prepared to take that failure and own it, then build on those lessons.

I heard jobs sacked the guy heading up MobileMe, which eventually went on to become iCloud. This was probably jobs temper in action rather than punishing poor performance. I imagine the guy that was fired, and his team, busted a gut to ship that service.

It’s an interesting challenge of what to do with people that are being paid just to turn up. Promoted for doing their time. I think this is a global challenge for all leaders across all industries. There is no silver bullet, but I believe appreciation of people’s gifts and effort is the place to start.

As for cook, my feeling is he leads with his head while jobs lead with his heart. Need a balance, but I don’t get a clear sense of what Cook stands for. I get he’s all about human rights, fitness, support, acknowledgment of effort, etc. but what are his passions and reason for being ceo of apple. Other than a massive salary.

24. PJivan macrumors regular

PJivan

Unless you get the message that battery needs to be serviced, there is no throttle, please inform yourself

25. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Yes they do.