Google Preparing 'Android TV' Set-Top Box with Native Apps, Simple Interface, Voice Search

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
I don't want a voice-activated set-top box. Imagine seven children all screaming at the television. ::shudder::

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
And Google didn't create or come up with Android, they bought it.

People buy Android for one reason, and one reason only: it's cheap.
And Apple didn't come up with Siri, they bought it. Point?

And the phones in question are those that are equal to if not more expensive that iPhones.

Your desperation to cling on to these fallacies is laughable.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
And I don't care how many people waited in line for one, the first iPad mini was garbage using 3 year old technology....

If Apple released the iTurd there would still be a massive queue for it.
Millions of people today are enjoying their 1st Gen iPad Mini. They don't think it's garbage. Why are you so angry?

----------

And yet they sells tens of millions of Galaxy S, Notes, Ones etc. These are priced inline with the iPhone. What's your theory on how these are selling? Because they certainly aren't cheap...
Mega marketing dollars. Samsung spends billions a year on marketing.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Millions of people today are enjoying their 1st Gen iPad Mini. They don't think it's garbage. Why are you so angry?

----------

Mega marketing dollars. Samsung spends billions a year on marketing.
Ultimately if they weren't good devices, they would be returned and revenue not counted.

Marketing builds product awareness and leads to sales. Not satisfaction.

It's subjective to argue whether or not one likes Samsung phones. But it's hard to argue that they solely successful because of marketing.

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
Until you can explain how so I will have to respectfully disagree.
Okay, an explanation. iOS on the iPad is still more or less a blown up iPhone, it just doesn't utilizes the way bigger space you have. It was okay when it was released (I use the iPad since 2011 myself) but there's so much room for improvement. I think many people were thrilled when iOS 7 was announced, and what changes are planned for the iPad. IMHO the biggest bummer was the even worse blown up, unchanged version (e.g. folders); apple really let things slide in this matter.

Android IMHO does way better on tablets, I just love how I can arrange the home screens; notifications and quick settings are better implemented, too. Even widgets make way more sense on a tablet than on a phone. And don't get me started about what third party launchers can do, if you like an even more customized home screen.

I don't want to make this a iOS vs. Android war (this is something for idiotic fanboys); I just think I have a very neutral and objective view on these things.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Have you even used anything of theirs outside of google search in the past 2 yrs? They've really cleaned up their UI and unified their "design language". It no longer feels like just a smattering of features.
Yes. Unfortunately I have tried using Chrome which is great for some things, but still misses the mark. But I also must use Google Docs quite a bit, and am frustrated by that experience beyond belief.

HenryDJP

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Okay, an explanation. iOS on the iPad is still more or less a blown up iPhone, it just doesn't utilizes the way bigger space you have. It was okay when it was released (I use the iPad since 2011 myself) but there's so much room for improvement. I think many people were thrilled when iOS 7 was announced, and what changes are planned for the iPad. IMHO the biggest bummer was the even worse blown up, unchanged version (e.g. folders); apple really let things slide in this matter.

Android IMHO does way better on tablets, I just love how I can arrange the home screens; notifications and quick settings are better implemented, too. Even widgets make way more sense on a tablet than on a phone. And don't get me started about what third party launchers can do, if you like an even more customized home screen.

I don't want to make this a iOS vs. Android war (this is something for idiotic fanboys); I just think I have a very neutral and objective view on these things.
You're right, I'm not interested in any iOS vs. Android war however I respectfully disagree with you once again because I don't see how your post was being neutral and objective at all. It was quite was one-sided in Android's favor. Does anyone ever read their own posts? :confused: So, why are you even using an iPad still? Why aren't you just using an Android tablet only?

I have no problem with the implementation of iOS on the iPad. It's nicely laid out and not cumbersome and crowded and frankly, there's nothing wrong with it being "A big iPhone". I would certainly prefer to jump back and forth between my iPhone and my iPad and not have to switch my way of workflow just because the interface is different.

If it's not for you then it's not for you but I will say the iPad wouldn't be selling the millions that it has been selling to satisfied customers if people thought the same way you did.

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
You're right, I'm not interested in any iOS vs. Android war however I respectfully disagree with you once again because I don't see how your post was being neutral and objective at all. It was quite was one-sided in Android's favor. Does anyone ever read their own posts? :confused: So, why are you even using an iPad still? Why aren't you just using an Android tablet only?

I have no problem with the implementation of iOS on the iPad. It's nicely laid out and not cumbersome and crowded and frankly, there's nothing wrong with it being "A big iPhone". I would certainly prefer to jump back and forth between my iPhone and my iPad and not have to switch my way of workflow just because the interface is different.

If it's not for you then it's not for you but I will say the iPad wouldn't be selling the millions that it has been selling to satisfied customers if people thought the same way you did.
a) it wasn't one-sided, there was just no need to praise the iPad since we all know it. I just tried to point out the advantages of android on tablets.
b) I don't have a problem(!) with the implementation either, I just think there's lot of room for improvement. If you don't see it you're not very farsighted.
c) That "but it's selling millions!" argument is a thought-terminating cliché, how could you even come up with that? I don't care how much it sells, I care about better products -> I think the iPad could be a even better product with the right changes, that's all.

Good night (it's 11 pm here) ;-)

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
how many of these do we need that do essentially the same thing? Is the market for them really that profitable that every tech company out there sees the value in competing in this space?
Yes. There should only be one or two vehicle manufacturers.
There are to many now.

HenryDJP

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2012
United States
a) it wasn't one-sided, there was just no need to praise the iPad since we all know it. I just tried to point out the advantages of android on tablets.
b) I don't have a problem(!) with the implementation either, I just think there's lot of room for improvement. If you don't see it you're not very farsighted.
c) That "but it's selling millions!" argument is a thought-terminating cliché, how could you even come up with that? I don't care how much it sells, I care about better products -> I think the iPad could be a even better product with the right changes, that's all.

Good night (it's 11 pm here) ;-)
You're missing the entire point of my reply to you. You brought up earlier that iOS on the iPad isn't suitable for a tablet. I simply asked you to explain why. You made it your own debate of Android vs. iPad. Then you went on saying you didn't want any "fanboy debates". You actually created one, I didn't. I never even brought up Android. If you can't see what you wrote was one-sided then you are the one with vision issues my friend. :p

My "selling millions" was 100% valid and on point. If customers are satisfied then it's not them, it's you. Thanks.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Dosent really matter whether its hardware or software - the iPad 4 was still released roughly 6 months after the iPad 3. I think the response on here was "Your iPad 3 will still work, so stop moaning". Likewise, the original Galaxy Gear still works.

----------

So what your saying is, its ok for Apple to have quick turn arounds, but not other manufacturers.
Nevermind, I just read some more of this thread and this is not worth my time. :rolleyes: