Google Releases Chrome for Mac Beta

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As anticipated, Google has finally released an official beta version of its Chrome browser for Mac. The initial beta version, termed Build 4.0.249.30, requires Mac OS X Leopard or Snow Leopard, and is only compatible with Intel-based Macs.

While developer builds of Chrome have been available for nearly six months, only now does Google consider it full-featured enough and stable enough to promote to its "Beta" release channel. Work will continue on Chrome with additional Developer Preview releases occurring on a regular basis. Refined versions will then periodically (approximately monthly) be released as new additions to Chrome's Beta channel. Releases will eventually make their way to Chrome's "Stable" channel, which will offer "rock solid" performance without the inclusion of features still under development and testing.

Chrome for Windows launched as a beta version in September 2008, with Google co-founder Sergey Brin admitting only days later that the lack of a Mac version at the time was "embarrassing". At the time, he hoped that a Mac version would be available in only a "matter of months", and the company announced in January that it was targeting a Mac release for the first half of 2009. While developer versions of Chrome did appear within that timeframe, it has taken an additional six months for developers to sufficiently refine it to be considered a beta release for more general consumption.

Article Link: Google Releases Chrome for Mac Beta

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
Shall check it out.

The private browsing/incognito page is quite funny.

I can't seem to access some options in Preferences > Under the Hood, like turning off auto opening certain file types.

Anyone else?

Comment

Airforcekid

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
Will try it but going to be very very hard to ditch Safari. Didnt the guy on the Boxee livecast have chrome on his Macbook?

UPDATE: So far Safari wins however testing on Linux is much better than firefox. There are adblocking extensions that work better than ad block plus. Also enable google DNS made my connection more reactive.

Comment

RyanFromQA

macrumors member
May 15, 2008
Cool but I'm surprised/disappointed that my Developer Preview that I've been using didn't automatically detect this and update me.

Oh well, at least it's out, I've been loving the dev preview but it's a bit unstable.

Comment

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
Hmmmm, seems very sluggish to me at loading web pages, and it's really jolty on YouTube running a HD video. Think I'll stick with Safari.

Comment

ipoppy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
UK
Hmm..not much difference in speed by naked eye. But still Safari design is slicker for some reason. I wonder why Chrome disabled full screen option, which would be very nice feature to see in Safari too. And where is privacy browsing? ;)

Comment

MattJessop

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
Manchester, UK
I've been using the developer previews of this for some while, which have been more than stable enough for me to use. I wasn't aware it hadn't even reached beta yet, which is a testament to both my ignorance, and the good work that Google did with it.

Having said that, I'm still not yet ready to ditch Safari just yet, but Chrome is a very very good alternative (Firefox and Opera I consider too slow on OS X, though the windows versions are fantastic). I do like Camino, but the interface seems a little off and unintuitive to me.

Comment

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009
Seems to be pretty fast for me, arguably as fast as Safari. Great first attempt and great port.

Comment

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
how about if you gonna stop posting "I will download" and "downloading now", and post some thoughts on how it actually work and what you think about it, huh?
How about you posting something yourself?

I used the developer version. It was as stable as Safari & FireFox. It reminds me of Flock.

Why if you use Chrome must you stop using Safari or FireFox. Just use them all. Usually one does a better job on certain things than another one does. Just use the one that is best for that particular job.

Now to read more posts of those that say that they will download Chrome & those that complain about it. Just download it, try it & tell us both good & bad what you think about it. If you are truthful it won't all be good or all be bad.

Comment

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2004
how about if you gonna stop posting "I will download" and "downloading now", and post some thoughts on how it actually work and what you think about it, huh?
How bout you relax or download it for yourself. People will write reviews soon enough. Why post a review after 1 min of playing with it

guess I was a little late with this response. Stupid iPod touch

Comment

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
It's doubtful that I would ditch Safari for Chrome, but I definitely will download the Beta tonight. I'm looking forward to comparing the two.

Comment

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Feels as fast as Safari. I like the Tabs on top, they're easy to distinguish. It's nowhere near as elegant as Safari, however. The favicons on the Bookmarks bar ruin the look, although they do aid the eye in differentiating the the bookmarks.

Hmmm . . . I'm fairly neutral about Chrome. Not really wowed or anything.

Comment

Analog Kid

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2003
I'm very wary of Google applications since Google Earth 5 started shipping with that Auto-Update rootkit.

Does Chrome carry the same payload?

Comment

miralize

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
Ireland
is there any way to enable extensions? Really want to use it as my primary browser but cant live without feedly!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.