Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hhaeschen

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2008
EU
2: Get Glims and it changes the search bar on the right to something more like FF/Chrome. Not ideal but better.

That is nowhere near the address bar search function within FF. This feature might very well be a reason for me to switch from Safari to Chrome (given that there are no huge disadvantages with other things).

RyanR.

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2008
Virginia
Downloaded it tried it out... Naa, it's not for me. Way slow compared to safari.:eek:
Thought I might keep it because of a few work sites, but they still looked scrambled. They only work on EI and EI no longer works on Mac's.. :confused:

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
The Chrome icon looks like a Pokemon ball thingy.

2874749029_d8cda4531d.jpg

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I will say that if I had to use any other browser than Safari, it would probably be Chrome. Is that saying a lot? I don't know.

subaqua

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
Minneapolis
quick startup / active directory login fails

I installed this 30 minutes ago and initially I have noticed:

- very fast startup compared to safari (on my mbp 4,1)
- when i visit sites which require active directory authentication
(e.g. username: mydomain\my_userid )

I am unable to get it to log me in. Firefox and Safari both work perfectly.

So, at this time it is a show-stopper because many of my work related sites require me to authenticate.

Subaqua...

xef6

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
Doesn't seem to be as fast as Safari for some things, especially image-heavy pages, however it is pretty nippy. The top-bar is a bit bigger than I'd like, even with the top-mounted tabs; when Safari had similar tabs for a brief period, it used less vertical space overall.

Very promising though, I currently use Camino for quickly opening a second browser window on my other screen, Chrome may take that spot in the future.

You might have a different setup than me, but it's a whole pixel taller than my Safari.

screenshot20091208at838.png

HONDAxACURA

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
California
Doesn't make a difference to me. I think it's a little faster than Safari.

It's also not running on 64-bit. Hopefully they can work on this. If it uses less memory than Safari, I'm a happy person!

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
I can't believe that the same people around here that hate Android and say it is slow, buggy, and unusable would install a browser from the same company on their Macs.:)

I guess it is just funny how some people like certain products and hate others. I still use Safari and it works fine for me.

How is being critical of every product funny? Wouldn't blindly approving every product be more humorous? I can like my MBP but hate the iPhone. I can like Android and hate Youtube. I can like my Toyota Celica but hate the Toyota Yaris.

I supposed because you like Safari, you love Apple's HiFI?

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
You might have a different setup than me, but it's a whole pixel taller than my Safari.

It doesn't seems as tall because it uses a much lighter colour/shade than Safari. Safari's top end stands out a fair bit more and thus, at least to my eye, seems larger.

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2009

It's actually quite a bit smaller if you don't show the bookmarks bar. People are just trying to find something wrong with it.

star-fish

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2009
... and not having a bookmark manager is just plain annoying.

It's unacceptable. I'll no longer use Chrome until it's upgraded.

Who uses bookmark managers tied to a browser any more? That's what delicious and the hundreds of other similar sites out there are for.

I'd be annoyed if I couldn't access my home bookmarks at work, or wanted to show my friend a video I found randomly (on their computer), or access my bookmarks between laptops, or access my faves at my parents' house - and couldn't. What would you do if your computer completely died?

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
I'll wait for others to check it out before I bother. Google has lousy desktop software and I sure in the hell don't feel like being their guinea pig.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
It's actually quite a bit smaller if you don't show the bookmarks bar. People are just trying to find something wrong with it.

Then what happens if I want the Bookmarks bar? The Bookmarks bar is the height of convenience, in any browser.

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
C'mon Apple.....

@:apple::

PLEAAAASSEEEEEE PLEAAAASSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEE add the
"dynamic-bookmarks-search" when I start to type something in the addressbar....

where is the problem? it's so annoying to go to -> bookmarks and type it in the upper right searchbar. You cannot search for a name you gave a certain bookmark, the address will only show up if you type in THE EXACT (WTF) addresse....:mad:

this is the only thing I don't like about safari... FF has it (although I don't wanna use it, too "heavy"), chrome has it...

when chrome leaves betastatus and safari is still lacking this feature,.. I have to leave safari behind... :mad:

thisgoesto11

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2008
New York, NY
I've built some websites on iWeb with audio clips and Chrome doesn't seem to be playing any of the audio files. Doesn't even show the "quicktime" play/pause/progress bar. Anyone know what's up with that?

Kidman13

macrumors regular
May 16, 2006
Loving the speed but the missing bookmark manager really kills it. I mean it automatically imports bookmarks from firefox and safari, and now everything is one big mess. You can't even delete a bookmark! What type of crap is that...

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2009
Then what happens if I want the Bookmarks bar? The Bookmarks bar is the height of convenience, in any browser.

I don't really use it. Just click bookmarks in the menu, or create a new tab and the bookmarks bar is there.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Huh, what's wrong with autoupdate? And I think you'll be fine as long as you wear a tinfoil hat, which I assume you do

Google said:
It can update nearly any type of software, including Cocoa apps, screen savers, and preference panes. It can even update kernel extensions, regular files, and root-owned applications. Update Engine can even update multiple products just as easily as it can update one.
http://code.google.com/p/update-engine/

Basically a system process that any app can subscribe to and point to a server to download patches.

Nothing, and I mean nothing should have the right to update root owned applications on my system.

Google is lending their good name to any hack who wants to point at a malicious server. There's no reason for it and it's a disaster waiting to happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.