Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

122527-google_chrome_logo.jpg

Google today announced that it has released its first "stable" version of its Chrome browser for the Mac platform, finally deeming the application complete enough and having undergone enough testing to promote a beta version to the top level of the company's three-tier development cycle. Chrome for Linux similarly made its first stable channel appearance today.
Today, I'm happy to announce that Google Chrome for Mac is being promoted out of beta to our stable channel. We believe that it provides not only the stability, performance and polish that every Mac user expects, but also a seamless native Mac application experience that Mac users will feel instantly at home with.
The release brings a number of highly-requested features that have been testing, including access to over 4,500 extensions, full-screen mode, bookmarks management, and bookmark and preference syncing across computers.

As noted in its broader blog posting on the Chrome updates, the new release offers support for a number of new HTML5 features, including geolocation and file drag-and-drop. The company also notes that the integrated Flash Player plug-in currently available in beta versions of Chrome has not been included in the new stable channel release, but will be released alongside the full Flash Player 10.1 when that becomes available.

Article Link: Google Releases First 'Stable' Version of Chrome for Mac

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
What's this? A Google product out of Beta? Say it ain't so...! :)

I like that the Mac version of Flash player isn't deemed viable for the Stable build. Even Google acknowledges that the Mac version sucks.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Well it's about effin' time.

Nice to see Google can finally drag their arses to deliver a supposed "stable" version of Chrome for their second class citizens that use Macs. :rolleyes:

I'm sure the "stable" moniker only refers to how well it spies on its users...

NoExpectations

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
I don't trust Google

I avoid them at all costs. I truly believe that every keystroke, every web site, every action on my computer (especially with Chrome) is being monitored by Google. Yes, it is probably being used for targeted ads....but I just don't like it.

99John

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2009
Number of thumbnails in New Page tab?

Anyone know if the number of thumbnails in New Page tab can be increased beyond the current 8? Hard to see why this can't be increased (or decreased) by the user.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Is there any way to view PDFs within Chrome on OSX... and without installing Acrobat?

Safari can do this... and it's integral to my workflow (I search for academic papers all the time).

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
I installed the last version. It was FAST. Then a week later, it was a dog. In fact, when I went back to Safari I was shocked by how slow Chrome had gotten. Manly with flash issues/games. But some sites would just hang and hang. Sorry, sticking with Safari until I know Chrome is consistently speedy.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
What's this? A Google product out of Beta? Say it ain't so...! :)

I like that the Mac version of Flash player isn't deemed viable for the Stable build. Even Google acknowledges that the Mac version sucks.

Has anyone done a socket analysis to see if it is reporting user activity at all?

wjlafrance

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2009
Madison, WI
Wow, I forgot how many ads there were out there without AdBlock and NoScript.

Chome, it's been a good two minutes.

And no, Chome is distributed on a DMG and you just drag the app into the Applications folder. From what I can tell, updating must be contained in the app.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I'm also sticking with Safari. I've used Chrome on Windows and prefer Firefox there. But good luck to Google, at least they keep pushing Apple and Mozilla to innovate and streamline.

iamse7en

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
Is there any way to view PDFs within Chrome on OSX... and without installing Acrobat?

Safari can do this... and it's integral to my workflow (I search for academic papers all the time).

Extensions do everything. Install Docs PDF/PowerPoint Viewer.

I've been using Chrome for a few weeks now, and I can't believe I stuck with Safari as long as I did. Was a big Safari apologist, but now I think it sucks compared to Chrome. Safari started to get SO slow and useless. The only reason I held onto it for so long was inquisitor. I MUST have a way to search within multiple search engines with ease and quickness. WELL, Chrome has that feature built-in and it's amazing! Right-click the url bar and edit search engines. It's my favorite feature. I can open up TONS of tabs very quickly, which takes years on Safari. Here are some extensions I really like:

AdBlock (& Broswer button for Adblock if you want more features)
Clickable links
Docs PDF/PowerPoint Viewer
Drag n Go
Google Dictionary (although I would rather have the mac os built-in dictionary)
InvisibleHand
MegaUpload Download helper
RapidShare download helper
Proxy Switchy! (this is amazing - set up proxies and even set up rules for when to switch the proxy, e.g. use a bulgarian proxy whenever you access zamunda.net - coolest extension if you use proxies)
RSS-Feeder (so you can see all the RSS links associated with the site)
Ultimate Chrome Flag (gives you location, rank, WOT stats, etc of the site you're on)

Make the switch to Chrome, and you'll never look back. I know I haven't.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC

There's an extension called "Docs PDF/PowerPoint Viewer" that will open PDFs in OS X. I use it, but I do think that Safari's method of handling this is superior. With that said, Chrome has been my default browser on both OS X and Windows for many months now. It just blows away Safari and Firefox, in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.