Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Me and 68k others paid good money to an unproven new company for a smart watch that wasn't even expected to exist for another 6 months, and could very well turn out to be crap. So, is there a market for a smart watch from an established tech company? Absolutely.
BTW, I've had my pebble for a week, and I'm loving it.

Assuming one is cool with the Pebble design (I have no opinion on that) - I think the Pebble and what it does is a great idea. Personally - I'm not sure I would want tons of functionality on a watch. The screen limits the amount of information at any given time and I'd prefer not to have to charge yet another device often.

Of course, that (I) could change over time. But right now the Pebble makes a lot more sense to me as a "smart device" then what people are suggesting might come out of cuppertino or elsewhere.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
all these companies jumping on the bandwagon in hopes they dont miss out on the next ipod craze.

Can you tell us whats been copied because as far as i know Apple havent made a smartwatch yet? unless you can copy vapuorware

So, Samsung has done smart watches before, Sony has made smart watches before and Google's Motorola has made smart watches before and they are copying Apple non existent smart watch?

Sometimes I'm amazed with this forum

I'm sorry but I don't see where you see any copying since there is no iWatch to copy. It makes perfect sense for the competition to compete in what seems to be a growing market.

So the companies who already have ANNOUNCED products are copying a company that has NOT yet announced such a product. I guess that only makes sense in the world of Apple fans.

By the way, in your opinion, is Samsung also copying Apple with their Smart TVs? After all, Samsung has been selling Smart TVs for years now while the iTV is still just a silly rumor. But they sure are copying Apple, aren't they?

And why would that be amusing. Other manufacturers would be further pioneering the product and Apple would be left on the sidelines until they either did on themselves or lost out on potential revenue.

Companies aren't going to drop a watch project because Apple says they aren't making one. Do you have some information about products that have been rumored by Apple that other companies have said they are working on and THEN when Apple said they weren't working on anything were dropped?

Yeah - only Samsung already has/had smart watches. So maybe you want to revise your statement?

The concept of smart watches have been around for a long time. The pebble seems to be the first to get released though. Looks like some Android ones are already available
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartwatch
And some Samsungs one on this apple fanboy site
http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...ill-be-companys-third-stab-at-wrist-accessory

Yap, because companies are totally silly and they act according to rumors on blogs :rolleyes:

The flip side is - that Apple doesn't SAY they are working on a watch but rumors surface. Concurrently other manufacturers are also working on watches.

So what does a company do? Do they not speak up? Because whether they release theirs before or after - they will still (on here as example) be accused of copying either way.

Or do they speak up.

Not everything is about copying Apple. The industry moves forward. Companies are expanding their technology portfolios.

I find it hilarious that so many people think that all these companies do all day is wait around for Apple to create something so that they can begin to work on copying it.

Really, people are saying that google is copying apple?

This is a natural extension of google glass which has been in development for years.

Samsung already has previous versions of a smart watch. As did others. And yet there are "daft" people (or ones with their heads in the sand) who refuse to acknowledge that Apple isn't always first.

Clearly all of this was talked about and shared with Eric Schmidt while he was on the board. He then broke into the mainframe and downloaded all of Apple's plans from now until the end of time on a USB drive and ran away....

I seem to have missed Apple's announcement confirming their development of a smart watch. :confused:

It's refreshing to see these rational posts. Personally I too find it difficult to see how any of these companies can copy something from Apple that doesn't exist. Especially when other companies already made these watches years before any iWatch rumors started.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Remember that square iPod nano from a couple years ago? Yeah every Apple Store sold accessories for it so it can be used as a watch.

Same can be said with the Apple TV. They don't keep doing small upgrades on it for no reason. They're preparing for something bigger.

Read between the lines.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
In that case they are copying the market entry rather than the idea.

Rationalize it all you want.

Your comment illustrates one of the issues with several posters on this board who see things in black and white. If you say something positive about another company or criticize Apple - you must be a "hater."

Clearly.

----------

Well technically the first rumors of the current market entry for smart watch is about Apple. So u tell me...

"the current market entry"

LOL

That sounds rather silly. The market already has been entered.

I would offer to help you move that goalpost - but apparently it's light enough you can do it all on your own

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
That's two "monkey see, monkey do"'s that I dished out this week. Who's next, Microsoft?

This just in :

Steve Ballmer, Microsoft's chief executive, announced the intoduction of two new wristwatch PCs in 2025 at a closely guarded press event in Los Angeles.

He said the new devices – called strap2theWrist – were part of a "whole new family of devices" the company is developing.
The devices will run versions of Microsoft's forthcoming Windows 8 operating system, a system the company hopes will allow it to make up ground in mobile computing lost to Apple and Google's Android.

"We want to give Windows 8 its own companion hardware innovations in 2025," Ballmer said.

There will be one for each arm, so consumers do not have to move their heads only into one direction and get neck pain.

The package design is already done, but we will have to see what Apple does before we can introduce our solution.

jasvncnt

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
New Jersey
It's refreshing to see these rational posts. Personally I too find it difficult to see how any of these companies can copy something from Apple that doesn't exist. Especially when other companies already made these watches years before any iWatch rumors started.

Rationalize it all you want.

Your comment illustrates one of the issues with several posters on this board who see things in black and white. If you say something positive about another company or criticize Apple - you must be a "hater."

Clearly.

----------

"the current market entry"

LOL

That sounds rather silly. The market already has been entered.

I would offer to help you move that goalpost - but apparently it's light enough you can do it all on your own

:eek: Whats happening to this site? Are those..voices of reason?!

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
How many people you know that have changed his/her watch in last year? last 2 years? zero? one?

This "Apple have 100 people working on a watch" is just a lame excuse for Samsung and Google to "launche a watch first".

I think this watch rumor is worst than the Apple TV screen.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
The Google Android watch will blow away any locked-down limited function watch that Apple inflicts on the marketplace.

Don't get me wrong - the Apple watch might appeal to Apple's core technophobe customer. But anybody who wants to determine for themselves what the watch will do for them will choose the Android model. Apple is losing market share with its main profit-maker, the iPhone. But they never allow customers to use their electronics the way the customer wants, no matter how small a market niche they fall to.

----------

Is there no innovation in rumors anymore?

Why do Samsung rumors and Google rumors just copy Apple rumors? Can't they come up with rumors of their own? Do they make up a checklist of Apple rumor features to compare with so they can make their rumors even more like Apple rumors?

I heard a rumor that Google is trying to get Apple to approve Google Now, but that Apple doesn't want it to replace SIRI for all of its users, so it is dragging its feet.

How's that for an original Google rumor?

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Of course they are. And it will be released after Apple does ;) lol

Or, Google will release it first just to say they were first, but it'll be geeky and useless and consumers will greet it with one big meh.

Then Apple will come out with an iWatch with some indispensable features that everyone wants and the following year, Google's version will look, feel and function a lot like iWatch but sell for 50% less, thanks to Apple's generous R&D subsidy and ads.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
The Google Android watch will blow away any locked-down limited function watch that Apple inflicts on the marketplace.

Don't get me wrong - the Apple watch might appeal to Apple's core technophobe customer. But anybody who wants to determine for themselves what the watch will do for them will choose the Android model. Apple is losing market share with its main profit-maker, the iPhone. But they never allow customers to use their electronics the way the customer wants, no matter how small a market niche they fall to.

I like how you portray the choice. If you are an idiot you choose an iPhone. If you are for freedom and free will you choose Android.

Enough with the propaganda. :D

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005

Except when Apple released the iPhone, it wasn't the first smartphone out there either. But then almost everyone copied off Apple.

Apple may not make the first smartwatch, but you can be sure that if they make one, people will copy Apple's design and UI, not the previous ones.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I don't see the point of smart watch, I don't think people are interested in a watch that needs to be recharged everyday:p

Also, what kind of apps could the watch run? Only calendar, clock and music player? or we are going to see a 3.5" watch in the future?

Likely it would be mainly a secondary display for your cellphone. So, for example, you could see which music track was playing, and maybe hit the "next" button, but not much more.

Alerts and displays would appear, likely supplementing iOS's abysmal notifications pane.

It would tell you who is calling via caller ID. It would tell you the temperature (on Google watches, only if you wanted it to, but on Apple watches, you would have no choice in the matter). It would alert you to an incoming SMS, but the text of the SMS would require using your gigantic 3.5 inch screen to actually read it.

emeraldringer

macrumors member
May 24, 2009
I wonder how may of the "Smart watch? Dumbest idea ever!" commenters on this thread felt the same way about the iPad mini (or even, going way back, to the original iPod, which had tons of critics).

I'm interested in seeing what Apple, Samsung, and Google eventually come out with. If they don't look useful to me, I'll pass. If they do, I'll consider the best one that fits my needs, regardless of which company it comes from.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Google & Samsung's definition of innovation: COPY APPLE.

:apple:

Oh really? Mind showing me Apple's smart watch that Google and Samsung copied?

----------

I wonder how may of the "Smart watch? Dumbest idea ever!" commenters on this thread felt the same way about the iPad mini (or even, going way back, to the original iPod, which had tons of critics).

I wonder how many of the "Smart watch? Dumbest idea ever!" commenters on this thread will stand in line outside the Apple Store for 4 days to get the first Apple smart watch simply because it has an Apple logo on it.

saha-med

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
Oh really? Mind showing me Apple's smart watch that Google and Samsung copied?

----------

I wonder how many of the "Smart watch? Dumbest idea ever!" commenters on this thread will stand in line outside the Apple Store for 4 days to get the first Apple smart watch simply because it has an Apple logo on it.

Probably the same number of apple-haters who were initally like "The tablet, an oversized phone? nah..." and ended up queuing in non-existent lines for a Samsung galaxy tab when it came out.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Except when Apple released the iPhone, it wasn't the first smartphone out there either. But then almost everyone copied off Apple.

Apple may not make the first smartwatch, but you can be sure that if they make one, people will copy Apple's design and UI, not the previous ones.

Except there are many here who are claiming that Samsung and Google are copying Apple on a product that Apple has not even announced. That is all I am sure about at the moment.

SylarDX85

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2011
Looks like everyone is on the Smart watch wagon! I honestly don't see the point though.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Probably the same number of apple-haters who were initally like "The tablet, an oversized phone? nah..." and ended up queuing in non-existent lines for a Samsung galaxy tab when it came out.

Your constant use of the phrase apple-haters is very telling. I think it might be projection. I think it's more about you having hate for others than the ones you're trying to overgeneralize.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.