Google Selling Motorola Mobility to Lenovo for $2.91 Billion

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 29, 2014.

1. oliversl macrumors 65816

Well Lenovo is getting bigger, with Motorola Mobility and IBM x Series Servers.

2. unlinked, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014

unlinked macrumors 6502a

The Moto G is definitely a good phone for the price. Not sure about the Moto X but some people seem to like it. It takes a long time to switch around a product line. Motorola only has a couple of months of Google phones out.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the way Google and Samsung seem to be becoming buddies.

3. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Hmm gotcha.

Though I saw a report that Xiaomi had surpassed both Apple and Samsung to become the #1 smartphone maker in China in December 2013.

4. cube macrumors P6

5. LordVic macrumors 603

I always imagined that Lenovo would have been an amazing match to purchase Blackberry for the enterprise and business focus that Lenovo has.

6. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

It doesn't make much sense. you thought google would become a player in hardware and software unification when they bought motorola. they did almost nothing with moto when they had them then sold them for a 10 billion dollar loss.....uhm.

7. FakeWozniak, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014

FakeWozniak macrumors 6502

FakeWozniak

At first I was going to say I was glad to hear the relief for Motorola employees, but when you put it like that, Lenovo might be a looming threat.

8. steve119 macrumors 6502

9. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

This makes sense. A Moto purchase is puzzling....especially at this point. Google didn't give them a chance....and for $12B you'd think they'd at least try a few years.

I mean they lost $250 million last quarter - they could go on like that for 10 years before they equaled the loss they took by selling.

Again - puzzling move.

On a different note, does this mean my Moto G is a collector's item?

10. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Maybe they can turn the Moto X into a world class phone someday

11. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

That was fast lol, hope those few patents were worth nine billion dollars.

12. mozumder macrumors 6502a

13. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

Woah! Over 10 billion for some patent licenses.

14. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

I wonder if this includes the patents or just the design & manufacturing portion.

15. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Looking like the Moto X and Moto G might be joining the collectors item list.

16. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

17. Skika macrumors 68030

18. derbyshire2013 macrumors member

No wonder the Moto X was launched earlier than slated in Phones4U over here in the UK.

The Moto G appears to have been a massive success and from what I can gather the Moto X was going to perform well in the UK, too.

I had high hopes for Motorola through 2014, if the sale DOES go ahead I hope Lenovo treat it better....

19. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I wonder if the Moto X will go on sale even more than it already is......I think I still have a little bit of time to return my Moto G....

20. KPOM macrumors G5

And this is why Apple shouldn't be tempted to use its cash pile for a big acquisition.

That said, Google is oddly up after market on the news, despite the essential admission that it overpaid for Motorola Mobility.

21. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

Sam - Sung.

HTC has also produced some critically acclaimed phones but they're still getting swallowed up by iterations of the Galaxy.

22. Northgrove macrumors 65816

Yes, that combined with so-so sales is what I've heard. Which doesn't make much sense, but maybe they've been poorly marketed, or that they didn't get to a good, early international release?

In either case, these news are pretty shocking!

I can't believe they were just disappointed in the Moto X sales and then got rid of this huge division.

There must be something more to it?

For an observer, my immediate thought is "Huge miscalculation by Google as for... some future... uh, prospect or need".

This is really rare to see.

23. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Lol so Apple sells 52 million iPhones (more than any quarter in their history), pockets $13 billion and their stock plummets.

Meanwhile, Google says "oops, we wasted $12.5B on Moto - here Lenovo takes this off our hands for a $9.5B loss" and their stock is up.

What....that....what?

----------

Its a shame too - although Samsung took a hit last quarter. With the news they'll be scaling back their marketing efforts, I wonder if 2014 is the year we see another OEM step up to play with Apple and Samsung.

Maybe someone else will break double digits?

Attached Files:

24. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Not at £380, Many will opt for the Nexus 5 instead. I'm thinking of returning mine too...

This is one of the reasons iOS will continue to remain my primary platform of choice.

First it was Palm, then RIM, then Motorola, then Nokia, then Motorola again.