Google Selling Motorola Mobility to Lenovo for $2.91 Billion

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 29, 2014.

1. captain cadet macrumors 6502

How can you lose over a 10 billion dollars? Aw that's going to hurt and someone might be losing there job soon....

2. dojoman macrumors 65816

Looks like those people will be out of jobs.

[​IMG]

3. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

Agree.

Google holds too much leverage over Samsung with Google Maps. At some point, Samsung has to follow Apple's lead and find a way to divorce themselves from the Google's maps leverage.

FWIW, as painful as the Apple Maps roll out was, I believe time will prove out that Apple ultimately made the right choice.

4. Lloydbm41 Suspended

Lloydbm41

Not really. Of the 10,000 patents involved in the original Google-Motorola purchase, Google keeps 8,000 of them with this sale to Lenovo.

And if I had doubts about getting the Moto X, they are gone. It will be a collectors item now. :D

5. Oletros macrumors 603

Oletros

$12.5 billion - $3 billion in cash - $2.4 billion to Arris - $2.91 billion = $4.19 billion

6. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

They're not gonna ditch them anymore

Momentum is slowing and they just entered a deal with Google. If anything they're gonna coexist now instead of compete. Both of them also look like they're focusing less on mobile and more on new markets like wearables

7. brendu macrumors 68020

What reports? I didn't see anything about Samsung actually preparing to migrate to their own OS. I know they have been developing one but hadn't seen that it actually might replace android.

8. magbarn macrumors 68000

Maybe successful for Lenovo, but today's Thinkpads seem to lack compared to the IBM Thinkpads of the early last decade. Those were built like tanks.

After all the hoopla on how Moto smartphones were made here in the USA, I'm pretty sure that factory is going to be shuttered with all production moved to PRC.

9. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I'm all ready to add my Moto G to my N9 pile of what could have been.

10. HurtinMinorKey macrumors 6502

It's not that simple, Google didn't sell all the patents it acquired from Moto, it's keeping most of them and granting license.

It's official now.
    http://investor.google.com/releases/2014/0129.html

11. Jeff750 macrumors member

12. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

So after losing $1.6 Billion on revenues of $8 billion under Google, and the difference in buy and sell price of roughly $9.5 billion.....

That's worth 8,000 patents that so far haven't necessarily helped them stave off the Rockstar Consortium?

----------

+ Moto's losses over the last 6-8 quarters......

EDIT: Nvm - I found the links.....

Still we're talking over $5 billion in the hole, and these patents so far have done.....

13. HurtinMinorKey macrumors 6502

They didn't. See the press release. They are keeping ownership over the most valuable part of Moto: the patents.

http://investor.google.com/releases/2014/0129.html

14. The Man macrumors 6502

Yes, but some say Lenovo didn't work very well for ThinkPad.

15. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

lenovo buys a mobile division for 2.9 billion from google and google just paid 3.2 billion for a smoke detector company. somethings not right here.... why would you, like why ? you got android. why not make a vertical solution like apple combining hardware and software.

what a waste google.

16. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

17. Oletros macrumors 603

Oletros

Mmm, no?

18. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Google up over in 2% after hours trading so Wall Street seems to be happy. Imagine what Wall Street would do to Apple if they bought a company for $12B and sold it 2 years later for $2B. :eek:

19. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

With what value? FRAND patents provide a steady revenue stream, but they aren't going to cover even the $4.19 billion figure Oletros claims (not counting heavy losses from Motorola over the past almost two years).

Another interesting factoid, Google had to provide a $ 1.5 Billion carry back loan to close the deal.

20. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Whatever - I know.

I still find it ridiculous that Google can essentially spend $5 billion on 14,000 patents, admit they made a mistake, send a US company they couldn't manage to China and have their stock skyrocket.

21. iBug2 macrumors 68040

Apple would be doomed.

22. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Moto's losses while a Google company totaled about $1.6 billion on roughly $8 billion in revenue.

23. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

That vertical solution was the Moto X. Didn't help them much

24. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Probably the same as what happened to all the IBM PC Group in NC - everything moved to China (as far as I know).

I've been telling people at Motorola that they should start learning Chinese if they want to keep their jobs... :eek:

25. Oletros macrumors 603

Oletros

Yap, even you can imagine what would happen if Google does something like this