Google Selling Motorola Mobility to Lenovo for $2.91 Billion

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 29, 2014.

1. eric89074 macrumors regular

2. Vaga8ond macrumors member

Vaga8ond

I wonder if their international phones use Android and if not will they use their own proprietary OS.

3. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Ya - I guess my 2014 Android choices now become either the HTC One (2014) or the Nexus 6. I wasn't really going to upgrade my Android device, but I might now....

4. jmgregory1 macrumors 68000

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    I know a guy who works at Moto Mobility and they've been focused on the move to the downtown Chicago Google building, supposedly happening now. What a mess.

5. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

Reviews positive... profit negative.

Apparently Motorola didn't sell enough of those amazing phones.

6. Bhatu macrumors regular

Bhatu

7. Oletros macrumors 603

Oletros

Perhaps because of that:

http://www.zdnet.com/googles-motorola-purchase-was-it-worth-it-7000009356/

If the reports are accurate, Google will keep most of the patents or will cross licence them.

----------

And it is official, $2.91 billion and Google will retain the vast majority of patents.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com.es/2014/01/lenovo-to-acquire-motorola-mobility.html

8. Mockenrue macrumors 6502

Might have as much to do with keeping the other handset makers happy, and don't forget that Google just got even tighter with Samsung. Being a handset maker has been very awkward from the beginning given the rotation system for Nexus phones. They bought Moto primarily for patents.

As a Moto X owner, I do hope that the lineage continues. This is THE Android phone for people who like the iPhone size, want a bigger screen, a lower price point, and/or the flexibility of Android. I still like iPad/iOS better for the tablet form factor, but a modern Android device like Moto X has passed the iPhone in my book (and my wife has a 5s for comparison sake).

9. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

From the article here:

The acquisition, worth at least $2 billion, will include more than 10,000 mobile communications patents currently held by the United States company, according to a person familiar with the matter.

I'm sorry - but you lose $9.5 BILLION (not counting the losses Moto incurred while a Google company) for roughly 14,500 patents???

This acquisition was finalized in 2012.....that's not even 2 years ago. I'm sorry, but I don't understand the positive spin here.

10. cube Suspended

You should not expect Google to try too hard, when they were competing against their partners.

11. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

12. KPOM macrumors G5

They will, but it's pretty obvious that the investment was a loss maker for them. They tried to use the patents as ammunition against both Apple and Microsoft, but it largely hasn't panned out.

That said, now the deal with Samsung makes a lot more sense. It seems that Google is content to play the same role Microsoft did with Windows, and let Samsung, et. al. worry about making hardware.

13. dojoman macrumors 65816

What's wrong with Google? Are they just giving up on Android phones now? First, there was a rumor Google might kill Nexus phones now Motorola. Eventually Google will hand everything off to Samsung. Bad times for Android fans.

14. ryansimmons323 macrumors regular

Well this is interesting. Phones made in the US and owned by a Chinese company? I wonder if that'll continue?

15. jkichline macrumors 6502

Losing money

If they weren't into losing money hand over fist, they wouldn't be in the Android business :p And.. the stock is UP???

Apple just posted fourth highest profit for any company in the history of ever. The stock goes down???

This just goes to prove that our country is DOOMED. Wall Street and government are filled with idiots.

16. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

spooky2k

I'd say it's the opposite. Android is becoming a more focused platform with less bloatware. The folk who make the biggest selling devices for the platform have just agreed to stop pushing their bloatware and stick with Googles vision.

You can say bad times though when Samsung finish their own OS and stop using Android. They're just a maps app away from being able to do that according to these reports.

17. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

I always thought the Motorola acquisition was an attempt to keep Samsung from hijacking Android and possibly forking it

I guess that cross-licensing agreement achieved the same goal

18. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Good for Apple that they are not in the habit of doing this; by their own statement, they buy smaller companies, from time to time…..

19. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

20. jkichline macrumors 6502

A lot...

(in the voice of Con-Air Nicholas Cage) "My first thought would be, a lot"

21. Oletros macrumors 603

Oletros

Highly doubtful that Samsung ditches Android for Tizen. I predict the same success than Bada

22. dojoman macrumors 65816

I wonder how long they plan to keep Nest? What a way to destroy American companies. Google really is evil.
    I guess $299 no contract Moto phones were fire sale.

23. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

funny if you open the motorola page it advertises the moto x for the only smartphone to be assembled in the united states. i wonder if that will stay the same.

24. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I thought they had to put Tizen on the back burner because of this new deal with Google.....

I mean Samsung already controls Android market share and the only major competitor is Apple/iOS.

Either Samsung really needs to reign it in and fix (re get rid of) TouchWiz, or we need some new players to step it up. Unfortunately the best (HTC, Moto) can't seem to gain a foothold.

25. cube Suspended

Thinkpads worked very well for Lenovo.