Google Selling Motorola Mobility to Lenovo for $2.91 Billion

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Oletros macrumors 603

Oletros

So, are you saying that Nortel and Novell patent acquisition were loses?

2. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

You haven't seen wearables yet because it's a future market, not existing

And ditching Google Maps = Samsung coming up with its own webmapping solution. Microsoft did it, Apple did it (poorly), Nokia actually had one of the best. Samsung, with its throw money at everything / kitchen sink approach to products could've done it too if they wanted

They could've also used their Android dominance to renegotiate licensing for Google Services and cut into Google's profit stream.

Moving forward though it looks like they're now strategic partners focusing on other markets.

3. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

4. daneoni, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014

daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Depends on who you ask and how much they value those patents. Some don't think they're worth as much us Motorola/Google might think.

I'm inclined to agree.

5. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

This was from three weeks ago: Interview: Moto Execs Discuss Future of Moto X, Project Ara and More

6. Oletros macrumors 603

Oletros

I'm asking you, you;'re the one saying that Google has lost $4-$6 billion dollars

7. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

And i've answered in my previous post.

8. Ted13 macrumors 6502a

Ted13

Because Google's Motorola unit was losing money hand over fist nd there was no prospect of it ever becoming profitable. Other questions?

9. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Google stock is up 2.63% in aftermarket trading. Never try to apply logic to the stock market.

10. iLoveiTunes macrumors 6502

Was about to post the same...:D :D :D

11. rdlink macrumors 68040

rdlink

Lenovo made IBM PCs for a long time before they bought the brand.

12. elvisimprsntr macrumors 6502

Not to mention Google's complete disregard for Motorola employees. I suspect Lenovo will move all R&D and manufacturing overseas.

Seems like Apple is doing it's fair share at creating US jobs thru investments, US based suppliers, it's app ecosystem, data centers , etc.

13. lazard macrumors 68000

Also because they're just selling off the dead weight to Lenovo. Google is still keeping a bunch of patents and Motorola's Advanced Technology and Projects group.

14. djgamble macrumors 6502a

I hope Google goes bust.
    Apple should have bought them when they were smaller, made a better adsense/adwords deal for consumers and kept them as a search engine.

Now they're just a fat search engine/data mining company that looks for new products so they can track you even further. I personally don't want Google to have a big profile of me that's connected with my mobile phone. We know they tried to hack Apple in order to do the same with the iPhone... with Androids it's not even hacking, it's a feature!

15. Nicky G macrumors 6502a

Nicky G

Is it wrong to feel schadenfreude at this news? ;)

16. lilo777 macrumors 603

I do not think Google shareholders are disappointed with GOOG performance at all. I am not so sure about Apple shareholders though.

17. paul4339 macrumors 65816

I guess it depends on the motive.

If the motive for purchasing the Nortel patents was reduce the risk from another party using the patents against the consortium (to which Google was invited) then one would have to determine what that risk was. Was the risk was to prevent (Apple or MS) from reaching/blocking strategic future goals? or a cost avoidance of paying even higher royalties if it got into the wrong hands? or some combination?

18. LagunaSol macrumors 601

LagunaSol

Of course the stock price won't take a hit - Google can do no wrong.

19. rillrill macrumors 6502a

rillrill

not really. they are unloading a loss. probably writing off the taxes, and they're keeping the patents. not much of a loss...stock should go up.

20. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Lenovo better keep their crappy skin off of the motorola products.

21. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Guess they've got the stock market brainwashed too, huh?

22. dec. Suspended

dec.

Not, it's not wrong at all. Some might think it could be a bit weird maybe, the fact of being so emotional about a company might appear funny (in a non-haha way (...although... never mind :) ) plus without knowing Googles ulterior motives it's hard to tell if this is a good or bad thing. The few billion dollars won't hurt them anyway.

23. lazard macrumors 68000

Slashgear had an article which broke down just how much money Google lost on the Motorola deal, and surprisingly its not that much.

12.4B purchase price
    - 2.9B cash acquired from Motorola
    - 2.4B Motorola deferred tax asset
    -2.35B sale of set-top box division to Arris
    - 75M sale of Motorola's China and Brazil operations to Flextronics
    -2.91B sale of Motorola to Lenovo
    +1.2B Motorola operating losses

Grand Total: 2.29B

So basically Google paid $2.29B for Motorola's best patents and their Advanced Technology and Projects group.

24. Oletros macrumors 603

Oletros

From other site:

They bought Motorola for $12.5 billion. Motorola had $3 billion cash on hand. So immediately the real cost was $9 billion. Then they sold the set top box nonsense for $2.3 billion. Thats now $6.7 billion Motorola cost them. Then they were able to write off at least $2.4 billion in taxes due to the loses of Motorola. That brings the cost down to $4.3 billion. Then they sold the rest of Motorola for $2.9 billion, which brings the cost for the vast majority of Motorola’s patents and this advanced technology group and whatever other deals they were able to make to a total of $1.4 billion

25. LagunaSol macrumors 601

LagunaSol

And Google continues to arm foreign countries (Samsung, HTC, Sony, etc.) against American competitors (Apple, HP) while turning over entire companies to Asia (Motorola) in the process.

Yet the Google fanatics still spin circles thinking they're rooting for the "good guys." What a joke.

I used to love Google. Now I loathe them. Wake up people. Your hero is a phony.