Google Selling Motorola Mobility to Lenovo for $2.91 Billion

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 29, 2014.

1. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

And they unfortunately only sold about 500,000 of them in the first 3 months.

Hard to look at that and say, "hey, nice start" when Sammy barfed out 10 million GS4's in its FIRST month.

Like I said before, a shame the best (HTC, Moto) are being trampled and driven into the ground.

2. mrhick01 macrumors 6502

The stock price would halve in a day (hyperbole, but not by much)

3. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

Apparently adult supervision might still be required... ;)

I wonder what they'll get for Nest two years from now.

4. robjulo macrumors 65816

Yes. There is a vast Wall Street conspiracy against Apple.

5. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

More like "selling the corpse of Motorola" after having their way with it and tossing it to the curb... they didn't even think it was worth 1/2 of what they paid after that raping.

6. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

Yet Google did not release a single nexus with Motorola, things that make you go hmmmm....

7. paul4339 macrumors 65816

Even if they wanted to, I'm guessing Google probably doesn't need most of Motorola Mobility to make a vertical solution. They can make a good Nexus phone by teaming up with companies like LG, and outsource the manufacturing it the same way Apple does. Plus I think it was bleeding over 0.25 billion per quarter... and that's after they pared-down the company.

8. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

The deal was finalized in 2012.....meaning the only Nexus they could potentially have tried for was the Nexus 5.

That's the whole point - Google hadn't even had Moto for 2 years before dumping it - and apparently they would've done it sooner had it not been for tax reasons.

9. Todd B. macrumors 6502

Google is a failure at hardware, which is why it's pretty surprising people are handing over $1500 for a beta product Google will get tired of and kill off when nobody buys it.

Wall St. is pretty much a joke, any way. Who cares what rich snobs think?

10. iBug2 macrumors 68040

Apple should keep buying shares back.

11. wizard macrumors 68040

Yes to the fact that Wall Street and Government are filled with idiots. I've seen this first hand with ruined publicly traded companies. The problem is who's to blame, for that we need lots of mirrors. Hopefully people will realize that to change things the idiots in Washington must be eliminated. We need a government that attacks people with brains and a conviction in their viewpoint more than any thing else right now. Washington is a chess pool of liberalism.

12. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

I like the way that's written, makes it sound better than it is. As though the revenue somehow makes up for the loss. Wallstreetspeak.

Here is what really happened: $8 billion in revenue - $9.6 billion in expenses = -$1.6 billion in losses. In a year and a half.

13. B4U macrumors 68020

B4U

ow...

Another American company sold to Chinese company...:(

14. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

My line was copied from some article.

Anyone who understands basic business knows when you see the word "losses" there's no silver lining.

Though I will say, the year and a half is exactly what makes it perplexing. They didn't really even give it any time to grab hold and grow.....despite the low sales figures, the Moto X and G had been praised by reviewers. Perhaps a second generation would've garnered more consumer attention as Samsung cuts back on its marketing and spews more TouchWiz garbage.

Anyhow, I really like my Moto G. Guess I'll throw it up on the shelf with my other collectibles. Gonna make sure not to update it either so it still opens with "Motorola: A Google Company" lol

15. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

Samsung can sell their own apps through their own store, but they'll have to figure out how to ditch Google Maps first. That's the leverage Google holds over them. For now...

BTW, I have yet to see anyone wearing these new wearables.

16. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Sad isn't it

17. springsup macrumors 65816

springsup

Woah! :eek:

Did not see this one coming, although now that we know, it makes all of that talk about Google cosying up to Samsung make more sense (patent cross-license, talks to remove TouchWiz and use stock Android branding and emphasise Google apps rather than their own versions).

Yeah, but this was a pretty expensive way to go about it.

18. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I wonder what this acquisition will do to project Aura.

19. LastQuadrant macrumors member

This confirms it. The folks running Google are STUPID.

Hey, let's buy a company for $12Billion and then lose money for a couple of years and then sell it off for a HUGE loss. Go ahead Google, maybe you should buy MySpace for Billions and then sell it a couple of years later for millions...

What a concept. Apple's NEVER been THAT stupid.

20. Oletros macrumors 603

Oletros

And exactly what huge loss is that sell off?

21. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

I was just critiquing the Wallstreetspeak. It wasn't directed at you, though it did come out that way. Mea culpa.

That's just it. If this was all about the patents and they never wanted the hardware to begin with, why not just buy the patents (or license them)? Did they really think FRAND patents were going to work as weapons in a patent war? Wouldn't their own patent lawyers have explained how this would eventually pan out?

At the end of the day, this is nothing more than Larry Page's Folly. I thought so when it was announced, and I still think so now. The shame is that an ill thought out deal by Larry Page (bankrolled with public shareholder money) will tank whatever is left of Motorola.

22. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

I always thought this was an awkward arrangement. Google selling hardware has them competing with other Android OEMs, which I'm sure was causing tension in the ranks.

If they kept some of the tastier patents, and licenses to the rest, and have managed to seed Google tech more firmly into the China market, this isn't quite as big a failure as keeping them would have been.

I've taken to referring to Motorola as "Xeno Corp". If you take a company and divide it in half, and then half again, and then half again, will it ever disappear?

23. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

$4-$6bn

24. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

All the while their stock skyrockets.