Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which do you believe will dominate mobile development?

• Native applications

Votes: 349 72.6%
  • Web applications

Votes: 89 18.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 42 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
Which businesses do you think are making this shift? I work in the enterprise space doing desktop transformations, and never once has anyone even requested something like Google Docs. It's a myth. Google is trying to leverage their web search "platform" to increase the share of the desktop, but it's just not a logical link.

Microsoft may find some success with Office 2010 web edition, but only because it complements an already very successful thick client.

So whilst web apps have a future, it won't be this year, or next.

Damo

I agree with you that no company would use Google Docs just because of security concerns. The people who actually use Google Docs as their main office tool is less than 1%. But I also think that there is opportunity in this space for someone to step in just like Blackberry did with PocketPC. If there is a web app that could have a lightweight thin client and alleviate worries over security, it would be a success.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Uhm.. Thanks for that :cool:

hehe I cranked the settings up and it brought Safari to its knees. I had to force quit after waiting 10 minutes. I did not even get the slow javascript warning with option to quit. Nothing like losing 12 tabs to an abhorrent script.

Point taken :p

Seriously. You jacked up the settings past what your hardware could handle, and you're blaming the app? You have the same basic problem if you jack a game's graphics settings too far beyond what your hardware can handle.

Knowing a bit about what's involved in modeling fluid dynamics, I'm actually pretty impressed by the performance he managed.

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
In order for web anything whether it be OS, apps, what ever to trump something tangible we can have access to always we need to have access to the interwebz constantly.

Now, wifi is not prevalent at all and mobile broadband costs a sh*t load of money on top of the 5gb cap

So unless Google decides to offer free wifi for the entire planet, uh I will stick to native apps.

MegaSignal

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
The future is web applications and cloud computing. Maybe not the near future, but it is the future.

It could be the future; the technology is certainly there. However, I believe, with the exception of mobile devices, native apps/file downloads will be the desired choice for many people for personal reasons - depending on various human cultures, native apps (i.e. desire of ownership, desire of personal possession, etc.) may end up being the driving force in the end.

An example: I've struggled and worked hard on this video/photo/spreadsheet/presentation, it's real personal, it was created by me, and you want me to just throw it up into the cloud? Once the dumb-terminal has been switched off, what do I have?

Just puttin' it out there.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Does anybody read the thread?

Developing an application with web technologies != must always have internet access!

See: Palm Pre

See HTML5 standards: http://www.w3.org/TR/offline-webapps/

Edit: I can see from the recent responses, the answer is no. The continuation of posts that says this will never work because you don't always have an internet connection makes me weep for this forum. And America.
I feel for you, slu. 36 posts later and people still don't get it. :eek:

oregon2

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
Cloud computing is utter junk and I'm afraid that at some point I'll have no alternative because too many dumbasses will buy into it.

No way I want to expose my data to (a) hackers (crackers) breaking into systems or (b) not being able to get to my data because of some bug in the hosting of it.

I want it local, and in a package small enough for me to tote everywhere (tablet?!?).

Both (a) and (b) are invalid points. You talk about hackers and bugs as if you are currently immune to them. Though they may not be a problem for you, you are nowhere near as secure as google. And as for bugs, sure that may be an issue, but if you choose a reliable service, it should be less of an issue than accessing your data on your own computer.

And why carry it around (clunky!) when you can just skip the storage and access everything via network?

ljocampo

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2008
Issue of Cloud Computing is not speed or access...

Would you trust me with your valuables? I'm Google and I want to manage all your data.

Personally, I'll go out on a limb here and say no intelligent person is going to trust a outside company with their valuable data.

Would you create a product you haven't patented yet with an online App? Who is watching what you're doing at the other end of the pipe. Will you trust the company's financial data to a cloud? No I didn't think so.

The real problem with cloud computing is trust. It isn't cross-platform software, access, or speed. Human nature isn't very trusting, especially with things you consider valuable. For this simple reason, Googles hopes for the future are just pie in the sky.

Sure there are things I have in the cloud now, but my economic future doesn't depend on any of it. You can give us free access and space on YOUR server, but I will always consider it your server and act accordantly.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Would you trust me with your valuables? I'm Google and I want to manage all your data. I'll go out on a limb here and say no intelligent person is good to trust a outside company with their valuable data.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying but I'd say nearly everyone living in a developed nation trusts some outside company, or government agency, w/some amount of valuable data.

Lethal

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Both (a) and (b) are invalid points. You talk about hackers and bugs as if you are currently immune to them. Though they may not be a problem for you, you are nowhere near as secure as google.

I've never had data stolen from me. Google has (look it up).

If everybody's data is in "the cloud", all you gots to do is hack "the cloud", one single point of failure, not 1 billion individual devices that go on, off, sleep, restart, update, on, sleep....

EDIT: Hmm... did anybody see "Antitrust"?

xIGmanIx

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying but I'd say nearly everyone living in a developed nation trusts some outside company, or government agency, w/some amount of valuable data.

Lethal

Agreed, i guess no one executes online transactions or does any online banking. But apparently their data is way more valued then their finances.

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
He would say that considering Google makes all it lunch money from advertising on the web. Duh!
And Google better watch its ass cause it has a lot of BIG BROTHER TECH behind the scenes. They monitor our every action and report that **** back to their advertisers. Besides, I'm not doing **** on the web like Google is predicting. You saw how North Korea did that hack job the other week. ****! The web is super vulnerable to attack. And Google's only ****ing concern is making money for their investors and Wall Street and not for the safety of the public.

ljocampo

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2008
Both (a) and (b) are invalid points. You talk about hackers and bugs as if you are currently immune to them. Though they may not be a problem for you, you are nowhere near as secure as google. And as for bugs, sure that may be an issue, but if you choose a reliable service, it should be less of an issue than accessing your data on your own computer.

And why carry it around (clunky!) when you can just skip the storage and access everything via network?

You forget that my sensitive data WILL be seen by anyone who works on Google's servers. It could be a bonanza for corporate espionage, not just hackers. Your vision of an all powerful Internet is humanly undoable.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
You still have to develop for different browsers.

I think Apple has the right direction. I don't like the delayed response of web apps. I'd much rather do things locally. And use the cloud where needed.

I would think with the data rates in the mobile space this might be even more the case.

xIGmanIx

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
You still have to develop for different browsers.

I think Apple has the right direction. I don't like the delayed response of web apps. I'd much rather do things locally. And use the cloud where needed.

I would think with the data rates in the mobile space this might be even more the case.

right because i never get a beach ball opening up the finder :eek:

ljocampo

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2008

Lethal

Not if they can help it. Value is subjective for sure, but do you really think a company as secretive as Apple would design future products in the cloud? I'm beg no one would. I could go on and on, but I'm sure you get my point.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Agreed, i guess no one executes online transactions or does any online banking. But apparently their data is way more valued then their finances.

When your money is stolen, you can tell. And there's a, ahem, money trail. I can look at my balance, see my PayPal transactions and know exactly what's going on, where every $0.01 has gone.

When your data is stolen, you don't f&*king know about it. If you're lucky, you won't ever know it was taken. If you're unlucky, you'll find out damn quickly that it was, and it will already be far too late.

Money and data are not the same thing. In this digital world, people like to pretend it is, but it's not. If someone wants to make a copy of my bank balance, they'll get a 3-digit number that won't get them sh#t.

xIGmanIx

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
When your money is stolen, you can tell. And there's a, ahem, money trail. I can look at my balance, see my PayPal transactions and know exactly what's going on, where every $0.01 has gone.

When your data is stolen, you don't f&*king know about it. If you're lucky, you won't ever know it was taken. If you're unlucky, you'll find out damn quickly that it was, and it will already be far too late.

Money and data are not the same thing. In this digital world, people like to pretend it is, but it's not. If someone wants to make a copy of my bank balance, they'll get a 3-digit number that won't get them sh#t.

its sillyhow secure you think your banking is. At the end of the day, the real weakness is people, always has always will.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Not if they can help it. Value is subjective for sure, but do you really think a company as secretive as Apple would design future products in the cloud? I'm beg no one would. I could go on and on, but I'm sure you get my point.
So you don't have any credit cards? No bank account? Never filled out any employment or tax forms? No utilities in your name? No government issued ID?

Do I think Apple is passing around design info in Google Docs? Probably not, but to assume that no one trusts 'the cloud' and/or 3rd parties w/their valuable info isn't realistic.

Lethal

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I see it happening pretty soon. Web apps will be easier to develop for all phone platforms, instead of having to make an individual app for each one. It's just how it's going to go...

Macminiintel

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2007
Yes LOL. Apple are always right LOL.

Well its not as bad as Microsoft failures

Microsoft BOB LOL
Windows Me LOL
MSN messenger LOL
Windows Live Care LOL
Windows Defender LOL
Windows Movie Maker
Internet Explorer LOL
Microsoft Zune LOL

& The biggest Windows Vista, on every top 10 tech failures vista has got either number one or number two.

The G4 Cube was a work of art, the newton was way ahead of its time & the Lisa was brilliant although cost $10,000. How is Apple TV a failure???, I know alot of people who have them including myself, I stream content to our 52'' Samsung downstairs, works brilliantly and its not even that expensive for what your buying.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I've never had data stolen from me. Google has (look it up).

If everybody's data is in "the cloud", all you gots to do is hack "the cloud", one single point of failure, not 1 billion individual devices that go on, off, sleep, restart, update, on, sleep....

EDIT: Hmm... did anybody see "Antitrust"?

I had the Nurv to watch that film. Just change a few items in there and it pretty much does fit in today.

I sure as hell am beginning to not trust Google. Those guys seem to be developing quite a messiah complex and want to do EVERYTHING. What really scares me is the "if it's too good to be true..." idea. Has anybody ever given Google a dime for all of this stuff? I would start to worry when someone starts handing over everything on the planet for "free." Searches get paid for by the ads, so I think most of us got that. But now we're talking office apps, this voice stuff, e-mail, maps. I don't buy my gasoline from Wal-Mart and try to limit it from Kroger (a grocery store) because I don't want three companies left in a few years selling everything to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.