Google to Buy Napster?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
That would be a great idea. I also hear that Google is going to buy gold plated cars for all it's employees. And hire a monkey on lollerskates as it's head of PR.

sworthy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
I don't think they're buying them for the brand - more for the existing licenses and design of the store. It makes sense, especially b/c Napster is a pretty cheap purchase for Google.

outerspaceapple

macrumors regular
May 23, 2004
Minnetonka, MN USA
That would be kind of ironic... Anyway if the audio quality for "Google Music" is as bad as the video quality for "Google Video" you can bet your bottom dollar that very few people would "take advantage" of it. ;)

Until then, there's the perfect solution we call ITMS. :D

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
This really doesn't mean anything. I am sure they want to get into the music download game but Google has a habit of just aquiring companies for other projects. Maybe they just want to use Napsters set up to start a Netflix sort of business where you download it instead of receiving it in the mail. Really thats going to be the next big thing. The only problem is the current amount of bandwidth most homeusers receive.

I dunno though just a thought.

The Red Wolf

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2004
Occi Dens Pacifica
No way in...

So, Google Buy's Napster. AOL/Time/Waner buys Google. Microsoft, buys AOL/Time/Waner/Google/Napster and becomes a little bit like the thing at the end of Akira...

This is bad. Very... Very bad.

d.perel

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2005
outerspaceapple said:
That would be kind of ironic... Anyway if the audio quality for "Google Music" is as bad as the video quality for "Google Video" you can bet your bottom dollar that very few people would "take advantage" of it. ;)

Until then, there's the perfect solution we call ITMS. :D
What are you talking about??? Google Video is an amazing and well-integrated solution for streaming video content! Haha- JK. I don't understand the whole reason behind google video, and I suppose google music would end up to be just as pointless.

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
Google issues denial

A spokeswoman for Google UK has already issued a strong denial of these rumours. According to her, Google has at this time no intention to enter this market or aquire any companies.

To those who like conspiracies: "At this time" means you can't sue Google if they ever change their mind.

stoid

macrumors 601
Napster's market cap is at about $175 million, and it jumped, starting the day at about $136 million. This is pocket change for some individuals much less for a corporation like Google that has a market cap almost a thousand times larger than Napster's.

iGuy

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2004
license agreements

sworthy said:
I don't think they're buying them for the brand - more for the existing licenses and design of the store. It makes sense, especially b/c Napster is a pretty cheap purchase for Google.
You're assuming that Google doesn't believe it could negotiate better license agreements. I would think they are in a better bargaining position than Napster was.

~iGuy

bit density

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2004
Seattle
Macrumour???

Cripes, if this qualifies as a mac rumour, we are going to have to include EVERY freakin acquisition,rumour and product out there. This is especially poor since this isn't even true.

If it is such a slow news day, I am sure that Griffen has released somesort of iPod accessory today. At leas that would be APPLE related if not so MAC related.

allpar

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
"So, Google Buy's Napster" ... "This is bad. Very... Very bad."

Which part? Google buying Napster, or the combination of incorrect capitalization and inane use of apostrophes?

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
LOL to the last two posts...

And, Really, Shouldn't... This Be On Page 2 ( ... Or Three?)?

rickag

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2001
I say,"Go for it Google.". Join the ranks of music stores losing money. Apple makes hardly anything on an individual song. Only the fact that they sell ~3 million/day makes it any where near worth the effort.

Apple sells tunes to support the iPod industry. Wonder if Google has any plans to introduce their own mpg 3 player, if so, it had better be good to attempt to dethrone Apple's iPod line.:p

macFanDave

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2003
Google: Do no evil.
Napster: Thou shalt not steal? Riiiiggghhhhtt.

So, when is stealing not evil.

I know Napster has gone "legit," but it's brand name is derived from its criminal past. Now that our society's morals have dipped so low that corporate entities want to associate with criminals, I won't be surprised to see a Lee Harvey Oswald Rifle or Jeffrey Dahmer Chicken Fingers!

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
macFanDave said:
I know Napster has gone "legit," but it's brand name is derived from its criminal past. Now that our society's morals have dipped so low that corporate entities want to associate with criminals, I won't be surprised to see a Lee Harvey Oswald Rifle or Jeffrey Dahmer Chicken Fingers!
How dramatic..

But seriously, does anyone even really remember about Napster's past? Johnny and Jill HIghschool don't. It was too far in the past to register on their MTV addled brains. Much to early in the.. hey a chicken on a motorcycle! Dude, who is sleeping with who on Battle of the Relaity Hasbeens?

crachoar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Ohio
And the world continues to not give a damn about Google or Napster stores.

I agree, how is this a 'mac rumor'?