Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Yikes, this hardware is soooooo much higher end than the iPad. Probably much better for browsing the web....but I'm not sure what else it'll be able to do basically running just a glorified web browser.

TheScavenger

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2007
Kansas City, MO
Yikes, this hardware is soooooo much higher end than the iPad. Probably much better for browsing the web....but I'm not sure what else it'll be able to do basically running just a glorified web browser.

Much much better hardware. Right now we are just running off speculation but all looks good so far.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Man, I so wish a game system would use Tegra 2...I'm assuming the 3DS is probably an underclocked Tegra 1, because this is Nintendo we're talking about. A Tegra 2 handheld would FINALLY be more powerful than the PSP, and the Gamecube/Wii and Xbox 1!

Worf

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I'm buying an iPad rev 2 as long as it includes a front cam. Some things i would like to see in addition on an iPad is high res screen, 32,64, or 100 gb+ iSSD or SSD. Also hopefully iOS 5 gets notifications right and is more enterprise friendly.

Also 1 or 2 gb ram would be nice.

RHatton

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2009
Louisville, KY
iPad's major success was due to its ability to integrate with other hardware like a Macbook or iMac and alongside an iPhone. Google's tablet will integrate with...? Until they grow a set and enter the real computing market they will always be second best. What good is a google device when it doesn't offer a complete solution? This is where Microsoft went wrong from the start. Its a poor business model and in turn offers a poor user experience.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Maybe I'm kidding myself, but I really feel like an iPad 2.0 could be here as early as next month. Why? In no particular order:

-they might time it with the iOS 4 update and iPod launches...and a refresh to go to battle with Google's stuff
-the current hardware is kind of sad next to the iPhone 4...the iPhone now has double the RAM, and I mean the iPad just had a 400MHz faster CPU than the third iPhone/iPod, and now it's only 200-250MHz faster, despite being massively faster. At MINIMUM though I'm expecting them to bump the RAM so it's the same (or slim chance, so it's 1GB).
-That iProd or whatever product that people think is the second iPad keeps showing up in logs.

So...even a quiet bump to 512MB seems like an obvious thing to happen this year, if not more (just so long as it at least has parity with the iPhone/pod.

blackpond

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
...yes, and? By the time any of these speculated iPad competitors hit the market Apple will be shipping iPad2 and two thirds of the way completed developing iPad3.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
...yes, and? By the time any of these speculated iPad competitors hit the market Apple will be shipping iPad2 and two thirds of the way completed developing iPad3.

I'm expecting a bump on the iPad soon, but this'll almost certainly be much better hardware than Apple has in an iPad this year...though the software situation...

SDMacFTW

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2010
It's also a day when shoppers are out trying to find dirt cheap deals, not looking to browse new tech products. I don't agree with the wisdom of introducing something like this on that particular day. It's a rat race on that day, not a day when shoppers are wandering around aimlessly saying, "Hey, this is neat. Let's slow down and check out this new tablet."

Agreed. Most people buying newly released technology like to thoroughly examine and play with it's features before making a decision to buy. I've never been out on Black Friday, but from the video footage on the news and hearing horror stories of people dying from being stampeded by crowds, not a good idea.

AmpSkillz

macrumors regular
now here's a good laugh for ya, Apples top designer himself claimed to be "highly" influenced by Dieter Rams for his designs...but i guess he's probably talking crap also wright, how the hell would he know who influenced him for his designs?

better you only talk about the stuff you know...quit making a fool out of yourself

Here's another one for you to laugh at, they even copied the colors...but hey it probably all coincidence

http://photos.northtemple.com/iphone_braun.jpg

I hardly made a fool of myself

I said I don't doubt that Apple would take designs from other products

i was trying to point out how people like yourself will make a connection between 2 things like the pic you posted above and instead of saying oh thats kinda cool Apple probably got their ideas from an old design or whatever

they freak out and act like its some conspiracy they have uncovered that proves apple is a complete fraud or something or that apple was trying to be sneaky and steal the design and start saying apple stole it or that their products are exact copies which is just retarded

its hardly a conspiracy or big deal

and many of the comparisons in the original pic had slight similarities but it's stretching it to say they are complete rip offs

the calculator is obvious design snatch

but in the original pic the radio and monitor comparisons were far from similar except maybe the pocket radio which only makes sense because they are both rectangular portable music devices with something circular for the controls

so I admit you are a super genius, Braun invented portable music players, as well as the shapes we all know of as the circle and rectangle, and apple completely ripped them off, its clear that they are exact replicas of modern iPods

i take it all back now

Apple is a complete sham and has put none of their own work into designing their products

wreckshop

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2008
Apple is a complete sham and has put none of their own work into designing their products

No thats not true. But apple's designs aren't completely original either, which is the point that's being made. People seem to have this notion that apple always do things first and they are completely original. Like the chiclet style keyboard. When apple nerds see a Sony Vaio with one they're like omg Sony ripped off apple when in fact Sony used the chiclet style keyboards years before apple did.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
iPad's major success was due to its ability to integrate with other hardware like a Macbook or iMac and alongside an iPhone. Google's tablet will integrate with...? Until they grow a set and enter the real computing market they will always be second best. What good is a google device when it doesn't offer a complete solution? This is where Microsoft went wrong from the start. Its a poor business model and in turn offers a poor user experience.

To how high an extent does the iPad integrate with Macs, etc? I'm aware the iPad needs a computer to sync with but is there anything mind-blowing, or is it just that the iPad is dependent on the computer? No doubt this Chrome tablet will take a similar role, to which Google pretty much has its own little hub of facilities. I don't get what you mean by not offering a complete solution, doesn't Google offer quite a few web facilities, for free? Last time I checked you had to pay for the optional ones on MobileMe.

And aren't they entering the computing market with their OS? Perhaps this device will be open as opposed to the closed device that is the iPad.

RHatton

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2009
Louisville, KY
To how high an extent does the iPad integrate with Macs, etc? I'm aware the iPad needs a computer to sync with but is there anything mind-blowing, or is it just that the iPad is dependent on the computer? No doubt this Chrome tablet will take a similar role, to which Google pretty much has its own little hub of facilities. I don't get what you mean by not offering a complete solution, doesn't Google offer quite a few web facilities, for free? Last time I checked you had to pay for the optional ones on MobileMe.

And aren't they entering the computing market with their OS? Perhaps this device will be open as opposed to the closed device that is the iPad.

Google doesn't make computers. They offer no additional hardware to integrate an Android device with like a user can do with iPhone/iPad. This means Google is still dependent on others for integration of their devices therefore not offering a complete solution.

On the topic of the iPad being a closed device; why is this a bad thing? Its called quality control, companies practice this ALL THE TIME. It is normal for a company to not guarantee performance when you alter the device. Do you buy a BMW M3, modify the suspension and then expect BMW to understand your complaints about your ride quality or replace your aftermarket components under warranty? No. How is jailbreaking an iPhone/iPad any different? Android is already experiencing issues, Google has already had to use their kill switch once, malware is already striking Google from below. This is the issue with an "open device", its open to everyone. Not everyone is a moral person. Realistically here the reason people like "open source" is because they are tight wads stealing applications because its cool to rob people of their rightly deserved profits.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Google doesn't make computers. They offer no additional hardware to integrate an Android device with like a user can do with iPhone/iPad. This means Google is still dependent on others for integration of their devices therefore not offering a complete solution.

On the topic of the iPad being a closed device; why is this a bad thing? Its called quality control, companies practice this ALL THE TIME. It is normal for a company to not guarantee performance when you alter the device. Do you buy a BMW M3, modify the suspension and then expect BMW to understand your complaints about your ride quality or replace your aftermarket components under warranty? No. How is jailbreaking an iPhone/iPad any different? Android is already experiencing issues, Google has already had to use their kill switch once, malware is already striking Google from below. This is the issue with an "open device", its open to everyone. Not everyone is a moral person. Realistically here the reason people like "open source" is because they are tight wads stealing applications because its cool to rob people of their rightly deserved profits.

But to use the car analogy, thats not exactly how it is. The iPad isn't fully compatible with other commonly used technologies, its more like having to buy an adaptor for the car to work on roads and another to work off-road, etc. So that analogy doesn't really work.

And you really think the App store is perfect, for example? That is a prime example of the quality control and its not perfect. An open system doesn't mean modifying it, I'm not talking about Jailbreaking (which seems to be what you think I meant) but rather a device that is fully compatible.

RHatton

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2009
Louisville, KY
But to use the car analogy, thats not exactly how it is. The iPad isn't fully compatible with other commonly used technologies, its more like having to buy an adaptor for the car to work on roads and another to work off-road, etc. So that analogy doesn't really work.

And you really think the App store is perfect, for example? That is a prime example of the quality control and its not perfect. An open system doesn't mean modifying it, I'm not talking about Jailbreaking (which seems to be what you think I meant) but rather a device that is fully compatible.

I think you might be missing my point a bit. I was commenting on the device being closed because of quality control. This is a totally separate thing from production integration. iPad integrates pretty well with the Mac whereas Google will need to release a full OS on a machine to integrate with their tablet to offer a complete solution.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
And you really think the App store is perfect, for example? That is a prime example of the quality control and its not perfect.
Perfect?

Who's asking for perfect?

As far as being the most successful business model out there for distribution of music, media, and applications for mobile platforms, comparatively speaking, I'd say it's admirably close to perfection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.