MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today announced that, starting July 1, it will be lowering its Play Store commission from 30% to 15% for the first $1 million of revenue developers earn using the Play Store billing system each year, as reported by TechCrunch.

play-store-google.jpeg

Google estimated that 99% of developers that sell goods and services with the Play Store billing system will see a 50% reduction in fees.

This moves comes nearly three months after Apple introduced a Small Business Program that reduces the App Store's commission rate from 30% to 15% for developers earning up to $1 million per calendar year in net revenue. For developers exceeding this threshold, Apple's standard 30% rate still applies, whereas Google is lowering the rate to 15% for the first $1 million earned per year by developers of any size.

Update: A spokesperson for Epic Games shared the following statement with MacRumors, arguing that "competition in payment processing and app distribution is the only path to a fair app marketplace":
While a reduction in the Google app tax may alleviate a small part of the financial burden developers have been shouldering, this does not address the root of the issue. Whether it's 15% or 30%, for apps obtained through the Google Play Store, developers are forced to use Google's in-app payment services. Android needs to be fully open to competition, with a genuinely level playing field among platform companies, app creators, and service providers. Competition in payment processing and app distribution is the only path to a fair app marketplace.

Article Link: Google to Lower Play Store Commission to 15% on First $1 Million Earned by Developers Per Year

Last edited:

Freeangel1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2020
Awesome! I have both the Samsung S21 Ultra and the iPhone Pro Max

The Samsung is the BETTER phone. Love the quality, nice to hold. iPhone is Heavy and Bulky.

Iphone drops Calls. Audio quality Stinks.

Samsung S21 takes better Pictures and Android has matured into an awesome OS over IOS.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place

The Samsung is the BETTER phone. Love the quality, nice to hold. iPhone is Heavy and Bulky.

Samsung S21 takes better Pictures and Android has matured into an awesome OS over IOS.
What's the relevance? Whether you think one is better than the other has nothing to do with dev commissions. Seems like just plain ol' pot stirring.

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada

Listen I don’t like Apple’s business practices all that much and I’ll always celebrate competitors giving them ideas to “invent” but let’s be real now, Android isn’t any less of a POS today that it’s been the last 5 years. Nobody who’s actually tried both in a real world setting can say with a straight face that Samsung with its amazing software and update history offers a more compelling product, let’s stop now

But mostly let’s stop because that’s wildly off topic, this thread isn’t about that

NotTooLate

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2020

How much are you getting paid , be honest !!! how did you thought about posting Apple vs Samsung device "comparison" in a Google play developer fees reduction!!! do they pay you on bulk or likes ?

Rochy Bay

Suspended
Apr 5, 2016
Cupertino, CA

Google today announced that, starting July 1, it will be lowering its Play Store commission from 30% to 15% for the first $1 million of revenue developers earn using the Play Store billing system each year, as reported by TechCrunch.

play-store-google.jpeg

Google estimated that 99% of developers that sell goods and services with the Play Store billing system will see a 50% reduction in fees.

This moves comes nearly three months after Apple introduced a Small Business Program that reduces the App Store's commission rate from 30% to 15% for developers earning up to $1 million per calendar year in net revenue. For developers exceeding this threshold, Apple's standard 30% rate still applies, whereas Google is lowering the rate to 15% for the first $1 million earned per year by developers of any size.

Article Link: Google to Lower Play Store Commission to 15% on First $1 Million Earned by Developers Per Year
I can totally understand the developer’s frustration. Imagine you spent 5 years to develop a revolutionary fitness app and then Apple charges you 30% of your profit, plus then they later copy your app... ie: Fitness +. Even the Apple maps feature to see how busy a business is, will be a copy of google feature for many years. No wonder google is labeled as a research company. Apple is known for greediness only. I wish i could return my HomePod they just stopped making.

Mrjetsondc

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2020

Hello everyone I own thousands of dollars of smartphones for no reason other than to troll people on an Apple site lmao what even is your comment

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
Listen I don’t like Apple’s business practices all that much and I’ll always celebrate competitors giving them ideas to “invent” but let’s be real now, Android isn’t any less of a POS today that it’s been the last 5 years. Nobody who’s actually tried both in a real world setting can say with a straight face that Samsung with its amazing software and update history offers a more compelling product, let’s stop now

But mostly let’s stop because that’s wildly off topic, this thread isn’t about that
Now the post you are responding to is defining silly but why is Android a POS?
I actually prefer Android. I have had android phones since I dumped my BlackBerry.
I have at times carried an iPhone and an Android phone and I definitely prefer my unlocked Android device over an iPhone.
Both my wife and my daughter prefer Android over iOS.
Go figure.

ajfahey

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2001
Moorpark, CA
I can totally understand the developer’s frustration. Imagine you spent 5 years to develop a revolutionary fitness app and then Apple charges you 30% of your profit, plus then they later copy your app... ie: Fitness +. Even the Apple maps feature to see how busy a business is, will be a copy of google feature for many years. No wonder google is labeled as a research company. Apple is known for greediness only. I wish i could return my HomePod they just stopped making.
Apple isn’t taking 30% of the profit. They are charging 30% of the sale price and providing a distribution service that protects a developer’s customer base from pirated software or software that includes malware or is itself malware and/or spyware like all Google products. Show me a store, brick and mortar or virtual, that doesn’t charge a sales commission. in fact, show me a brick and mortar clothing store that doesn’t charge a 100%-300% markup on goods they sell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.