Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

collin_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2018
I really can´t understand why a mac user install this piece of ****.
It has some settings and extensions that are highly useful to me and not available on Safari. I'm thinking about moving to Safari with its big improvements lately, though.

Something that should be noted is that, although Chrome is a privacy nightmare with default settings, it can be heavily configured to be way more private -- potentially even more private than default Safari. Google is banking on people not disabling features such as these, and probably 99% of users don't.
Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 8.55.57 AM.png

Last edited:

zenotds

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2019
Just spent half the morning fixing a website because Chrome 89 introduced a render bug with floated elements...

I've been saying it for years... Chrome is the new Internet Explorer. Stay away from this piece of ****

I use Firefox Dev Edition for work (best dev tools out there) and Safari for casual/personal browsing.

Reactions: Mitthrawnuruodo

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Nice to see - there are folks that need it for things or just want to use it - so for those folks this is good news.

Firefox and Safari are my daily drivers, but I do use Chrome as my trashcan browser (Facebook, Youtube where I want to be signed in, gmail) as I assume those folks will plant who knows what to get around my uBlock Origin plugin and cookie restrictions - so they can just stay in a nice pool by themselves, tracking almost nothing, where its only used when needed (rarely).

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
Because the web inspector saves an insane amount of time when you're a software engineer. And for my use, it's easier and quicker to use than the ones in FF and safari. safari's used to be good until apple tried to turn it into xcode-lite
I dislike Google and Chrome so much that I use Opera for that.

To head off any question, yes, I know Opera, sadly, is a Chromium browser. Long live Presto!

• Haha
Reactions: sinoka56

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Cool. Mom's using Chrome (it "works better" on the websites she visits apparently) and the battery life on that MBA is abysmal despite a recent battery change.

wanha

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2020
Sorry, Google, but too little too late. I've already deleted Chrome from my devices and moved onto other browsers to complement Safari.

That, and the fact that I don't trust you AT ALL when it comes to handling my data and respecting my privacy.

wanha

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2020
Problem with safari you can’t do everything chrome can, why safari can’t live stream or do video calling is beyond me so we have to have chrome, also safari keeps killing Disney plus website
Lots of good alternatives out there, like Brave (which is based on the Chrome engine), Edge, and Firefox. All of those are way more privacy focused than Chrome and at least *seem* lighter.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
Safari on Mojave doesn’t work on several websites including FB and .gov ones. I also use opera, FF, and Chrome. Same with iOS 14 devices. Facebook doesn’t work at all on my ipad running iOS 14. I don’t use the app. Chrome works well. My daily driver is safari

JuBe

macrumors regular
May 28, 2009
Chrome is great for reading my Gmail account and for searching Google when Duck-duck go is not so productive in Safari. I also use it to load some sites that don't load as they should in Safari. My Google profile is very boring :)
Quick tip: If you have Duck-duck-go as your default search engine, simply adding g! to the end of your query will route the search through Duck-duck-go (I think) to Google (I know), maintaining some of the privacy features of using Duck-duck-go (I think). And if you add w! to the end of your search, it will try to take you to the Wikipedia page for the search you just entered.

Reactions: B60boy

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I would rather install Edge. I don’t want Chrome even if it uses 0% resources, if it’s going to spy on me.
Chrome is great for reading my Gmail account and for searching Google when Duck-duck go is not so productive in Safari. I also use it to load some sites that don't load as they should in Safari. My Google profile is very boring :)
try Edge, and Apple Mail. I have 4 Gmail accounts working perfectly with Apple Mail.

Reactions: B60boy

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Problem with safari you can’t do everything chrome can, why safari can’t live stream or do video calling is beyond me so we have to have chrome, also safari keeps killing Disney plus website

Use Firefox as the backup browser then. I've never ever needed to use a Chromium browser.

luvbug

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2017
Getting closer every day!
Google Chrome, and the open source Chromium project, are not the same. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. There are some very good browsers built on top of Chromium, e.g. Brave. Edge started with the Chromium code base, too. Just sayin'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.