Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elmo151

Jul 3, 2007
NYC
Every app you see listed for GoogleTV (aside from certain proprietary things like the Amazon media store), you'll see for AppleTV sooner or later. And I'm betting it's sooner.

They are also now available on a ROKU for $99 or less.

I bought the new ATV but am beginning to wonder why!

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I was considering getting the new Apple TV for my birthday later this month, but I think I have reason to hold off on that now.

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
I bought the new ATV but am beginning to wonder why!

I bought the ATV for tight iTunes integration and the cheap price.

If Google TV does a better job with more options, I will also buy one of them. I would be please to use both.

This isn't DISH vs. DirecTV vs. Time Warner. To have all three would be very expense with monthly fees.

ATV vs Google TV would be a one time only purchase of each. The overlapping services would be available with just one subscription.

This time you can have it all.

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Google tv's feature set is miles ahead of atv.. but it will also cost more. This will be the box for the affulent.. I think altho ATV is pointless and the rental model is bogus... i think its simplicity and price will still make it more attractive than Google TV.

I will be getting GTV anyway!

Torrijos

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
I saw Logitech and lost interest ^^
(and I'm Swiss!)

Most of their stuff feels cheap and bugs horribly...
Not even talking about their incapacity to develop drivers.

We'll just have to wait and see what really comes out, like for most of the announced tablet and other devices said to concurrence Apple's current products.
Say what you want about Apple secrecy, but when they present something they do release said product down the line.

arrow1

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2004
Impressive product. Phone as remote + apps on TV is something Apple should have been all over the last few years with the iphone. Apps on AppleTV with phone as remote always seemed like an easy win to me. Maybe Apple thought it would cannibalize the iPad. I believe this will force Apple to make the move

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Google tv's feature set is miles ahead of atv.. but it will also cost more. This will be the box for the affulent.. I think altho ATV is pointless and the rental model is bogus... i think its simplicity and price will still make it more attractive than Google TV.

I will be getting GTV anyway!

The beauty of Google TV is that the price will be embedded into other device's prices. Stand alone boxes will only be one way of getting Google TV. If they get enough manufacturers on-board, it could get to the point where everyone has Google TV by default, just by buying new electronics. Sure that would kill their own stand-alone partners, but it would also mean that it pulls the rug right from under the competition like Apple. Who would buy a 99$ box when all those features and more came integrated into your Blu-ray player or TV anyhow ?

Ethere

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2009
Central PA
In all of the videos I see of the search bar that comes down from the top, there's no on screen keyboard showing. So I'm guessing we'll need a wireless keyboard? Or will a keyboard show up on the iPhone/Android device?

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
It's not in the video, as the video was mainly about apps on GoogleTV.

There is this bit of info on the new website, could be DLNA.

http://www.google.com/tv/features.html

image of fling

I was wondering that also...Fling could be just sending a url to the Google TV to load the content on the box itself. I would think Google would mention DNLA if it had it.

Another thing, the Netflix app they show in the video looks super basic. My favorite part of Apple TV is the Netflix app as it is my favorite implementation I have seen (minus a few small quirks...) and I have a 360 and a wii and have seen many super crappy BluRay players implementations.

Now the real question is how much will it cost...With Sony it will be an arm and a leg but Logitech may be reasonable...

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
Typical Google. Ripping off the Apple's know how:

Safari ~ Chrome
iPhoto ~ Picasa
iOS ~ Android
iPhone ~ Nexus One
iPad ~ (Google tablet to be soon announced?)
iWork ~ Google Docs
iTunes ~ Google Tunes
Apple TV ~ Google TV
AirPlay ~ Fling

One good thing: Apple will have to match Google with the feature parity. This is how capitalism works - competition will benefit the consumers.

Apple haters will get the Google TV and will be content with a second-grade product, just like it's happening now with Android phones.

Apple-NoEscape

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2010
United Kingdom
Well you have to hand it to them, google has taken the idea and made it everything it should have been. Which they seem to be doing more and more lately.

Apple has lost it's creative juice while google is full on sprinting with theirs.

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
The beauty of Google TV is that the price will be embedded into other device's prices. Stand alone boxes will only be one way of getting Google TV. If they get enough manufacturers on-board, it could get to the point where everyone has Google TV by default, just by buying new electronics. Sure that would kill their own stand-alone partners, but it would also mean that it pulls the rug right from under the competition like Apple. Who would buy a 99$ box when all those features and more came integrated into your Blu-ray player or TV anyhow ?

very true, that is one caveat that i forgot! Sony will be embedding their future tvs with google tv, that would be huge! I am sure samsung will jump on board sooner rather than later. Dish network is already a "partner."

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Typical Google. Ripping off the Apple's know how. One good thing: Apple will have to match Google with the feature parity. This is how capitalism works - competition will benefit the consumers.

Apple haters will get the Google TV and will be content with a second-grade product, just like it's happening now with Android phones.

Enlighten me, how is google tv a second rate product to ATV?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Typical Google. Ripping off the Apple's know how.

Since this was all announced back in spring, before AppleTV the return, how exactly is Google ripping off Apple ? Especially seeing how you even go on to state Apple will need to achieve feature parity, suggesting Google actually did more than Apple here... :rolleyes:

Seriously guys, let's drop the "Apple is only innovator" charade here for a second...

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
This certainly looks nice, but I'll wait for a shipping product to make a firm opinion. Anyone can make features look right on a Web ad, but to actually make it run smoothly in the living room is the next step.

If Google pulls this off, I want Apple to allow apps on Apple TV. Clearly that is the future of Apple TV, as we've seen over the last week's news. So I don't see anything Google is doing that Apple cannot also do.

But let's compare shipping products to shipping products and see what we've got when that happens. Right now only Apple is shipping. But as we've seen in the past, once Apple ships a product, it can later be updated with new functionality. I'm sure they are watching Google very carefully and will react as needed by the market.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
The feature set looks great. Interface....not so much. I don't see much consistency here. It's all over the map. Does NOT look simple.

On a computer, I think you can go with various interfaces. You are using a mouse an keyboard and you are sitting right up on the screen. I think most people will just want a remote for their TV. Up, down, left, right and SELECT/OK.

We'll see, hopefully it's slicker and smarter than it appears.

meli

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2004
What does "Stream Music from the best speakers in your house" mean? It then shows Pandora.

Do they mean "Stream Music to..."? If so, that's kind of a big typo.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
That's really cool. I really have no interest to have any TV accessory for my TV, but if I did I would probably choose this one.

I guess really the only thing that AppleTV has better is the iTunes store, with a vast selection of movies and tv shows. Amazon and netflix don't have that big of an "instant" selection, do they? In the same quality offered by the iTunes store / AppleTV? It'd also be interesting if the GoogleTV has the same seamless integration with all iOS devices, and Mac's. Because I'm not exactly going to get a PC and an android phone / tablet just to choose this device....in that case I would choose the AppleTV

Trooperof3

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
I understand Apple likes to slowly roll out extras....

But the strange thing to me is that Apple loves to be the 1st to release a big product so that it brands to them. Ipod.. Ipad. etc. so it's strange that they didn't go all out to put them in the lead. maybe they were just waiting to see what GTV would be.....

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
Since this was all announced back in spring, before AppleTV the return, how exactly is Google ripping off Apple ? Especially seeing how you even go on to state Apple will need to achieve feature parity, suggesting Google actually did more than Apple here... :rolleyes:

Seriously guys, let's drop the "Apple is only innovator" charade here for a second...

You think that Apple just pulled the new Apple TV out of .. (you now where). Don't you think it has been in development for some time now?

The feature parity I was referring to is the feature parity open to the consumer. Apple has surely tried a bunch of stuff on the new Apple TV that has not yet been made available to the consumer. App store for the new Apple TV being only one example. Bluetooth keyboard, mouse, and a web browser being another example (why else does the new Apple TV have Bluetooth radio in it?). Google can announce whatever they want and as early as they want. The real question is how well this will work. Apple never announces a new product until the product is already in production and they know they can start shipping it soon.

faith4more

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
Just put hulu plus on apple tv and a few apps and that is is all it needs. Half the stuff on google tv will be worthless to use. I mean do I really need to surf the web on my tv.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
I understand Apple likes to slowly roll out extras....

But the strange thing to me is that Apple loves to be the 1st to release a big product so that it brands to them. Ipod.. Ipad. etc. so it's strange that they didn't go all out to put them in the lead. maybe they were just waiting to see what GTV would be.....

I can't speak to Apple's business motives, but one advantage to doing it the Apple way is that it gives the competitors a smaller target to copy. So they rush out their copies, and then Apple opens up more functionality, and now the competitors have to go rushing back to the drawing board to match it. If they released all functionality at once, they would all get copied at once.

Not that Google TV is like this, for they are expanding the functionality of Apple TV. So I hope this forces Apple to open up apps on Apple TV too, sooner than maybe they hoped.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008

Some people don't want Google products built into their TV.
Ever think about that?

Some people don't care if their voice mails, calling history, web surfing habits, or email content is mined for marketing data.

I for one put some value on my privacy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.