Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
I'd be happier if Messages in Mountain Lion wasn't such a piece of crap. Randomly arranging message order, failing to show messages, sending messages to the wrong contact account ...

out of "beta" my ass.

Can't stand when it arranges my messages out of order. Apple get it together...

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I'm loving this app. Replaced groupme and like the integrated video since most of my friends have Android devices.

doomfront

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Weird that it's on the App store but not in the Play store.

Do you have to have Google+ to use this?

uncle.zed

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2009
Is this Hangouts limited to chrome only on computer??? thats the message i got on safari: "You need chrome to start hangouts"....

That's bad. i hate chrome.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Damn. Maps, Hangouts, Google Now, Voice...Apple has A LOT of work to do. :eek:

----------

Would you guys really trust google with your conversations? Really?

What? You think Apple doesn't save your iMessages on their servers? :rolleyes: You guys kill me.

doomfront

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Is this Hangouts limited to chrome only on computer??? thats the message i got on safari: "You need chrome to start hangouts"....

That's bad. i hate chrome.

yup, I'm using firefox and it wouldn't let me download it either. Chrome doesn't play well with a few sites that I regularly use.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Can you contact everyone at oncce on Facebook-GooglePlus-iMessage-BBM-Hangouts? Hmmm...no?

Can you contact everyone at once using e-mail? Yup

I use some of these services often. They're fairly useful. But until someone addresses that issue none of them will ever come close to being essential.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
Hangouts, which is similar to Facebook Messenger, places an emphasis on "conversations which last," saving chats between users in the cloud and allowing users to access past chats, shared photos, and video call history.

Oh dear.... It is bad enough when my other half shows me historic text message conversations that have gone...er...bad....

uncle.zed

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2009
yup, I'm using firefox and it wouldn't let me download it either. Chrome doesn't play well with a few sites that I regularly use.

It appears it works on all major browsers but You have to install some extra plugin, even for hrome!. LAme

https://plus.google.com/hangouts

if You go there and hit start it will ask for the install

So if You try to fire it up on someon elses or public computer there is no way to use it.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
A text messaging app that takes and indexes all of my private messages for Google's profit? Can't see any reason not to sign up. :rolleyes:

Why bother when Apple's Message works with Google accounts? Just message their Gmail address and you're set.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
As many as you need to reach everyone you need without paying carrier's ridiculous fees.

Carriers still charge $30+/month for a data connection that costs them pennies.

You "save" money by not using SMS/MMS, but then use their other method of raping consumers.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
"conversations which last" = Google stores your chat history for all of eternity in order to market targeted ads to you.

Pass.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
We're on Google Biz Apps, and we use Hangouts almost daily for team stand ups. It works really well, the audio is very good, and the collaboration tools are very good. We've been using screen share + Reflector to show off builds of our iOS product :) I've also used it twice with an iOS device where I was offsite, but on a really stout LTE connection, also worked great.

We use Message (in OSX/iOS) for quick communications, but if we need to chat, we almost always turn to a Hangout (the audio is always better than a couple of our teams cellphones).

Ok, it's in the App Store now.

Q: how do I enable Hangouts for Google Apps?

As long as you have a Google+ account you should be good to go, and if I recall, our Biz Account had it automatically enabled as soon as I setup my G+ Our team (on the same Biz Account) was already a group that could be selected during a Hangout.

Elijen

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
So no native OS X app? Is it just Chrome add-on? Or do I have to wait?

I downloaded it and it looks COMPLETELY different than on the videos. It's still the same **** as the web version of GTalk (integrated in Google+ and Gmail)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.