Google Unveils Pixel 2 Smartphone, Pixelbook, and Two New Google Home Speakers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Jax44 macrumors 6502a

Jax44

Good one...

2. zonk44 macrumors member

zonk44

Yes they destroyed Apple's advantage with the portrait mode. The most common portrait shot today is the selfie. Google has you covered there, Apple not.
    What I like about the dual camera on the other hand is telephoto. The internet is spammed with wide angle pictures, so going tele is a welcomed feature.

3. the-msa macrumors 6502

man i would have already ordered the white xl with 64gb if it was priced at around 500-600 euros :(
    and, well, if they were being offered in ireland where they save their tax-monies....

4. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

And only one carrier in the UK stocked the pixel which is a joke. Their sales are always going to stink if they don’t market it and make it available for all carriers. The demand is clearly not high.

5. ginkobiloba macrumors 6502

ginkobiloba

“ Pixel Buds feature real time translation”

If it’s based on the same tech as Google Translate and Youtube Translate, it’s going to be an endless source of amusement and hilariousness, Oh wait... it is...
    So they basically embedded a Comedy Channel in an earbud. Hopefully people won’t use them for anything semi-serious, cause that can get you into trouble.

6. CaTOAGU macrumors 6502

Pretty much what I was thinking.

7. symphara macrumors 6502a

symphara

It's gotten really good since they use ML. I don't know how many languages are now ML-supported but I noticed since German was added, translations are very good, often usable as-is, without changes.

They talked about this a bit during the presentation, but I guess you just came here to make some snide remarks.

8. ginkobiloba macrumors 6502

ginkobiloba

No kidding ? So, I just went back on Youtube to check again, got a german video and set the subtitles translation from german to english. The guy is doing a fairly simple technical demonstration, no complex literary ambiguous semantics, just a demonstration.
    It sounded like what an alien on LSD might be saying at a drunken party.
    The german to french version, i just couldn’t stop laughing.

9. dilbert99 macrumors 65816

Not sure why google is trying to hide the screen in their promotional shots.
    I think the backs looks a bit ugly
    Any why the big bezels like the iPhone 8

10. ginkobiloba, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

ginkobiloba macrumors 6502

ginkobiloba

The cattle have been groomed enough with arguments like “why would you want privacy unless you had something to hide ?” , that we have entire generations ready to pay for the priviliege to have all their private lives sold, bought and exploited on the market. Google hardware is nothing but a private information funnel to the Mothership.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 5, 2017 ---
    Absolutely. Many years ago, the head of a major PC builder was quoted as saying pretty much the same thing about Windows compared to the Mac Os, that the bar was set so low, all MS had to do is make a decently usable version , and the reviews would be glowing.

Now, all this being said, Apple better release some earth-shaking products next year, or it will slowly go back to the 90’s era.

11. Mrjoedot macrumors regular

I feel sorry for google. They got to bite Apple at issues because their lack of self-esteem like a child

12. symphara macrumors 6502a

symphara

If you give it highly technical stuff it won't work very well, but for websites, letters etc it's really good.

13. ginkobiloba macrumors 6502

ginkobiloba

Sure “ The sky is blue “ will work well. I don’t think i’ve ever seen even ONE example of Google Translate working well on an automated web translation. For some reason, a lot of english written websites/stores think it’s a good idea now to automatically activate Google Translate based on the country origin of your IP.
    I’m always struggling to find a way to deactivate it when i land on one of those website. It just makes for a horrible experience. “ Navire de expedition quand le stock de US “ WTF .. ( if translated back, it reads literally : : boated of expedition when the stock of the US )

That is what, for a long time, was the differenciating factor between Apple vs the rest. Apple would only stick a feature in their product if it was deemed mature/stable enough for a really useable overall experience . Others will just try to shove whatever feature exists in the world, novelty for the sake of novelty.

14. tatonka macrumors 6502

tatonka

It is a very different philosophy but also expectations people have towards these companies/tools. From Apple everything is supposed to work perfectly from the get go where Google has no problem making research demonstrators available to the public and people don't seem to mind to much.
    Google uses the data collected to refine the tool constantly and the abundance of data gives them a huge boost in all their AI/ML developments.
    And some problems are to hard to solve in solitude until they are ready for prime time. Take maps for example. Apple maps was/is atrocious and Apple got a ton of push back on it. Because people expect more from them. Translation is another such problem. You need the input and the feedback from millions to be able to refine it to a point where it usable at all and much more make it decent .. and I think for most purposes it is quite decent by now, nowhere near perfect, natural or even good but you usually can get what is talked about.

15. symphara macrumors 6502a

symphara

If you go to Apple’s Swiss website, and select German, then ask Chrome to translate it to English, it’s pretty good. I use this feature all the time and it’s consistently good.

I also use translate.google.com a lot and at some point this year I think translations have suddenly gotten much better. I found out that Google had enabled the ML translations for German. I don’t know if this is universal, related directly to the translation website or available in all geos, but it works for me.

It’s not anywhere as dire as you depict it. It’s not perfect by any stretch of imagination, but this is a really complex problem and they’re the only ones making real progress at it.

I admire Google for even attempting to fix this kind of monumental issue. I think only them and IBM think big in this regard. Apple is happy to sell small-minded shiny baubles in their petty, little, closed world.

16. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

XL has small bezels like the newer samsung phones and the X. The Pixel 2 (smaller version) has a top and bottom of similar size to the older iPhone design. Doesn’t bother me personally, but it would have been nice for them to put the curved corners and longer screen on the small phone too.

17. pika2000 macrumors 68030

The regular pixel 2 uses HTC U11 design, while the Pixel 2 XL had LG making them with screen matching the G6.

Basically it’s like the Nexus 6P and 5X, two Pixels each made by different OEMs

18. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Agreed, they are made by different manufacturers to Google’s specifications. With regards to the regular pixel, it is similar in design language to the U11, But actually very different in many ways. The U11 actually has a bigger and better spec’d screen.

19. spacemnspiff, Oct 5, 2017

spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

It's not just privacy, the person and their family and friends become the product of the advertising company - Google. In other words, selling out to the advertising company for providing the so called free benefits.

Might as well go ahead and become a model for an agency, and not get paid for it but receive free benefits in return, those benefits could be analog to maybe transportation to photo shoots, and free food, clothes etc... That might appeal to some people, but not to me.

You must not have used the Hangouts app or the Google Voice app, they really show how brilliant Google is at software. /sarcasm

20. rawitten macrumors newbie

I love how you said, “Pixel Buds feature real time language translation and are priced at...” as if those are remotely comparable statements. I have a suggestion for a different title to this article:

GOOGLE RELEASES EARBUDS WITH REAL TIME TRANSLATION, and phones and stuff

This is a mind-blowing, world-changing technology. I’d love to find out how accurately it translates, but even if it’s relatively poor it is the start of something only dreamed of in sci-fi.

21. WannaGoMac, Oct 5, 2017

WannaGoMac macrumors 68000

Enjoy. Airpod still sound like ****.
    Progress is more dongles or having to remember to recharge headphones. What exactly did I get in return for losing this headphone jack? Water resistance. Yeah that's a huge win for the 0 times I ever got water an iPhone in the last 10 years. which btw you can get by simply coating your phone in a hydrophobic chemical such as from https://www.liquipel.com/ (Thats one i quickly found, there are many other companies with various types of methods to apply the coating).

Progress? You got to be kidding me.

22. SigEp265 macrumors 6502

SigEp265

I don't know about you guys but I really like that orange button! haha.

23. Leguna24 macrumors member

Why would they leave a headphone jack away

24. Dick Whitman macrumors 6502

Dick Whitman

I wish I would have waited for these prior to getting my AirPods. The design is much more aesthetically pleasing than Apple’s Q-tip shaped alternative. Also, the AirPods’ silver accents truly make it look like you’re wearing earrings at times. The flush, discrete shape of the Pixel Buds, combined with a cord attaching the two to one another, makes for a more practical solution.

25. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It’s the same in the US, FYI. Verizon. That’s it. Other than that you can do google store or resellers.

Idk about elsewhere but in the US it’s a contractual obligation much like ATT had with iPhone for something like four years.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 5, 2017 ---
    I dig everything but the cord. Odd design choice imo. Crossing my fingers they’re removable? Doubt it.