"Google's Android is eating the iPhone's lunch."

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wirelessmacuser, Aug 10, 2010.

1. thetexan macrumors 6502a

The only people who care are the idiot fanboys who belong to the "my phone sold more than your phone" crowd. Oh, and developers. Android and iPhone will both dominate the market, and the market is big enough for both players to continue.

I'm pleased both as an Apple stockholder and as an Android user.

2. mra1989 macrumors member

Duh! Android has numerous models on several networks. Apple's iPhone has 4 total models two of which aren't even sold anymore to my knowledge on a single network. The fact that there's even a close number between iPhone and android shows iPhone dominance in the smart phone market.

3. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Plus some Droid's are Buy One Get One FREE!

Can you imagine the sales if iPhone were that way?!?!?

4. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I'd love to see the iPhone on different carriers already. Then we'd really see which is more popular.

5. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

this^^ its kind of obvious isnt it, if this was iphone the ship time would go from 3-5 weeks to like 2 months

6. aohus macrumors 68000

Apple is pulling the 'go to verizon ASAP' card right now. because things are getting much more competitive these days. Not that its a bad thing. They've had a good run, and will continue to do so.

its now a given that iPhone will be going Verizon. Doesn't matter though. Personally for me, Android 2.2 is polished and slick. I dig their UI, less cutesy, and more focus-oriented, and more customizable. I tend to JB/root often, so its natural for me to go Android. Yes, JB'ing community is great on the iOS platform, but I'm over wasting time downloading the latest apps. I want basic things done well and efficiently.

Definitely going for Droid Pro come November.

7. lnferno macrumors 6502

Android = OS - These run on many devices (e.g. HTC, Motorola and Samsung, etc)

iPhone = phone - There is only one phone that the iOS4 software runs on and that's the iPhone.

Comparing Operating Systems versus phones is a dumb comparison that marketing weenies like to do.

8. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

iPhones don't "eat lunch", so this is all wrong.

Androids eat cute furry critters and will get obese & die of myocardial infarction.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The smartphone market is still tiny compared to what it will eventually be.

Anyone who claims one has "won" over another is clearly just trying to get attention.

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I think I am your new greatest fan!.... I Couldn't have said it better.

11. rashhashan macrumors newbie

rashhashan

Yup! I was waiting for it...I was an AT&T customer since iPhone launch and honestly service in the south is spotty at best... Im excited to hear that Apple is ordering CMDA chips (ref: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=988508) in order to support Verizon's network.
    -But-:eek:

I also heard that the iPhone 3gs? possibly ( i dont think the iPhone 4's hardware is capable) is coming to T-Mobile....(ref:http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=988508)

VERY excited about that because i am currently a T-Mobile Customer.:cool::apple:

12. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Which individual Android smart phone is outselling the iPhone? Even that doesn't matter, but that's the only real comparison to make.

13. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Carriers will not be able to give Android based phones away if all the US carriers get the iPhone. Well maybe not everyone would get an iPhone, but there would not be much of a market for anything else IMO only.

Chalk it up for Android phones on all Carriers except AT&T for lack of good phone options on Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, Boost Mobile and whatever else is left.

14. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Apple can't keep up production to current demands, now. What will spreading out to more carriers do for them?

15. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I don't care what the Android fans have to say. I'm using the iP4, and I love it!

16. colder macrumors member

Android may account for a third of all smartphones, but it has virtually zero penetration into the business market (dominated by Blackberry). And it benefits from the wide number and variety of devices on which it is offered.

iOS only comes on 2 or 3 models across the whole market. It's limited to one carrier. It doesn't have the benefit of appearing on more economy-oriented smartphones or those in other form factors. And it's a huge pain right now to even buy an iPhone due to low supply. There are dozens of Android phones that can be had at any moment.

The market is big enough for both Google and Apple. The only losers here are Palm and Microsoft.

17. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

The caption underneath the photo in that article says everything that needs said:

"Android phones — primarily made by HTC, Motorola and Samsung — are now outselling the iPhone, and will continue to grab market share. Here is the Google Nexus One, made by HTC, next to Apple's iPhone 4."

Android, an OS by Google, is featured on phones made by at least three major manufacturers. HTC, Motorola, and Samsung.

iOS, an OS made by Apple, is featured on one phone made by one manufacturer. Apple.

Android is not outselling iPhone. An OS cannot outsell a physical device.

However, with multiple manufacturers vs single manufacturer (never mind multiple carriers vs single carrier, which we could use as further proof), it's to be expected.

However, God forbid the media actually report things factually, but that's their job at the end of the day; sensationalism sells.

18. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm sure once this happens, there will be enough devices to go around. Will most likely still be wait times to get it though.

19. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Nothing is more pathetic than fanboys on either side of the argument claiming "victory" for their chosen platform. Use what you like and do so without the childish baiting and bragging.

20. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

21. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I think this is one of the major points that the author is trying to make. Perhaps the iPhone would be more popular on multiple networks. But, it's not. And he's blaming Steve Jobs for this blunder. Apple likely had the chance of totally squashing Android for good in the beginning (when the G1 came out). But they missed the boat. If Apple had gone to multiple networks when the G1 first came out, there probably wouldn't be an Android phone left on the market.

22. GamecockMac macrumors 6502a

GamecockMac

Is it true?

Well, ask Apple and Google how much money they are making off their respective mobile strategies, and then we'll see who is eating what.

23. qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure the official story on the CDMA chips is to build out the 3gs iphones for China's network.

This doesn't mean the iPhone won't come to Verizon. It just means that they at least have plans to manufacture hardware that COULD operate on Verizon. Whether or not it WILL, is a completely different story and certainly isn't a "given".

24. jacollins macrumors 6502a

Rather, one more set of stores (Verizon's) for people wait in line outside of. :)