Google's New Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL Smartphones Likely to Debut at Upcoming October 9 Event

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 6, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Google today sent out invitations to members of the media for a "Made by Google" event that's set to be held in New York City on Tuesday, October 9.

At the event, Google is likely to unveil its Google Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL smartphones, which will be competing with the trio of new iPhones that Apple is set to unveil next week.

Details about the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL have already leaked thanks to multiple hardware units and images that have surfaced from Russian bloggers and a device that was left in a Lyft.

[​IMG]
    Image via Mobile-review.com

The 6.2-inch Pixel 3 XL will feature a deep iPhone X-style notch that's been the subject of jokes on the internet since early images leaked, while it looks like the smaller 5.5-inch Pixel 3 will be notchless.

Wireless charging will be available on both devices through glass rear shells, and the two smartphones will feature single-lens rear cameras and dual front-facing cameras. A fingerprint sensor is located at the back of each device, and given the inclusion of USB-C headphones and a USB-C to audio jack device, it looks like the Pixel 3 will not feature a headphone jack.

[​IMG]
    Image via Mobile-review.com

In past years, Google has unveiled multiple other products at fall events, so there are likely other devices Google is set to debut aside from the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL.

Apple is unveiling its own new 2018 smartphone lineup a month ahead of Google on Wednesday, September 12. Rumors suggest we can expect to see a 5.8-inch OLED iPhone Xs, a 6.5-inch OLED iPhone Xs Max, and lower-priced 6.1-inch iPhone with an LCD display.

Article Link: Google's New Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL Smartphones Likely to Debut at Upcoming October 9 Event

2. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

3. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

And they won't matter as usual, particularly after everyone wants the new iPhones.

4. apolloa, Sep 6, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018

apolloa macrumors G4

At least the camera should make up for the ugliest notch design so far, by a country mile! This so should be a Nexus and not Pixel device with a Nexus price to match.

5. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

And people give Apple crap, lol. Looking forward to Samsung's notch next.

6. Kiorr macrumors member

Kiorr

7. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

Not really. The Pixel is for a niche market of users.

8. justiny Contributor

justiny

A media event for a product that has been “leaked” and unboxed all over the web for the past six weeks.

9. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Why is it risky? This will be the third year in a row for them to have an event at this time. It's a whole month later. Nothing risky going on.

10. AngerDanger, Sep 6, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

So that'll leave them with less than a month if that want to squeeze in and last-minute copying. Whew.

11. Moonlight macrumors 6502a

Moonlight

Thats a "NOTCH" market...

12. skitidetdu macrumors 6502

skitidetdu

I'm waving my tax returns at apple but $1000 +VAT is still a lot of money.

13. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

Will Apple sue everyone for violating trade dress with their notches?

14. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Not really. I would rather have Google hold the event a month later than having it too close to the iPhone event within days or a week. Not to mention, this is totally two different platforms of smart phones the consumer is choosing between iOS and android.

15. Blackstick macrumors 6502a

Blackstick

16. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Looks pretty bad to me. I’m not sure how long the Pixel line will last, but I’m assuming Google will keep throwing money at it or make some major changes to Android at some point. That being said, it’s the only Android I’d ever consider if Apple failed to provide me with the value it does today.

17. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

The notch detracts from the huge beard on that phone.

18. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

Why are people so against the notch - it's extra pixels you wouldn't have had otherwise. Think glass half full instead half empty.

19. blacktape242 macrumors 68000

blacktape242

dunno whats worse that notch at the top or the space at the bottom.....

20. rturner2 macrumors 6502a

This phone has all the bad parts of the notch design and none of the good. What’s with the chin?!

21. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

With that in my mind's eye, have to say this is now one ugly phone.

22. shareef777 Suspended

shareef777

23. AppleFan910 Suspended

AppleFan910

I agree. The pixel has amazing HDR camera software. I’ve seen really nice pics from pixel 2 and iPhone X. Hopefully Apple will up the camera game again this year. The front cam of the pixel 2 is amazing too with the hdr.
    But on negative size, notch and chin.... not feeling the design. And I’m sure it’s gonna be hella expensive too.

24. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

It's the smarter ugly cousin of notched iPhone X but still no thanks.