Got $100 to burn...what should I buy?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Hi. I'm getting $100 from YouTube to burn (AdSense :D), what should I burn it on? I thought:
-$20 PC game
-eReader
-Save up for iPad Mini

Any thoughts?
What do you like to do in your free time? What are your hobbies, interests, passions, pursuits in your spare time? What really grabs your attention, and what would you like to do if money or time were no obstacle?

An online forum cannot tell you what is inside your head; do you like to read? is music your passion? The answers to these questions might offer you some sort of clue as to where and how you might consider spending your money…

My advice would be to spend some time in getting to know yourself; what you decide to spend money on will follow from that.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
I'd agree.

However I can speak from experience, saving repeatedly makes one dangerously solvent.

Visa & Mastercard hate customers like me. I never carry a balance.

I own my cars & house too, further irritating my bank. :D

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Save it if you don't have something you actually need. If you're set on actually buying something then it all depends on what you like, so probably any of the things you were thinking of would work great.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
...Visa & Mastercard hate customers like me. I never carry a balance.
i would mostly agree, with the exception being if you follow that advice long enough and have a high enough credit score, they will start to offer you even better things...

i have a 0% offer with 'Chase' for anything up to my $35000 credit limit, and it is zero until 3/15. i don't recommend carrying a balance, but free money is a hell of an option in the current fiscal world. :)

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
Saving $100 isn't going to change your life. It isn't going to get you a nicer car or house.

You might as well go out and have fun. Buy a round for your buddies.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
life changing depends on what you think is 'changing'

Saving $100 isn't going to change your life. It isn't going to get you a nicer car or house.

i don't know you or your situation, but i've turned a $100 into lots more, and that to me is life changing.

take 100 and multiply it by 2000. if you don't consider that life changing, then you and i will never agree on 'life changing'.

it made a real difference for me. best of luck.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
i don't know you or your situation, but i've turned a $100 into lots more, and that to me is life changing.

take 100 and multiply it by 2000. if you don't consider that life changing, then you and i will never agree on 'life changing'.

it made a real difference for me. best of luck.
$200,000 is much different then $100. He obviously isn't going to turn it into anything because his ideas are to blow it on consumer goods.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I'll tell you what YOU want to hear:

My advice would be to treat yourself to a few games. Maybe a few for your iPod, a few for your Mac (do you use Steam?), and whatever else you have.

I wouldn't buy an eReader unless you currently are using the Kobo, Kindle, B&N, etc apps already. In fact, if you aren't, and it's something you want to try and get into, Marvin is a pretty good eReader app you can start with (load some Readlists ePubs or whatever if you don't have any books). If you like the experience, then your iPod might be your perfect reader.

With eInk devices, you have to figure out which store/software you like first, and then pick the device. If you do it the other way, and decide on a Nook GlowLight, but then want to buy from Amazon, you've made a mess for yourself and then have to use software like Calibre to deal with it.

You should really wait for the upcoming refresh to decide. It's coming soon, we're just not sure when. The updated specs every year for these devices make all the difference.

As for the iPad Mini, I have one myself, and probably use it once or twice a week. Why? Because I have a MacBook Pro (like you) and it's easy enough to carry around with me. It's like my Kindle Paperwhite 2, which I don't use other than when I want to read. I can read on my iPod/iPhone, and I can do whatever my iPad can do on my Mac.

So really think about whether or not the iPad even fits into your lifestyle, because it's otherwise $400+ that could have been spent better on something else.

Now I'll tell you what I want you to hear:

Cash the check, and then just put it away for a rainy day. Wait until you see that one thing you REALLY want. A lot of us have this idea where having all these gadgets would be nice, but it just ends up being stuff that becomes clutter in our rooms.

Your YouTube channel is very nice by the way. Well done on making that first $100. It's a very satisfying thing to finally get to that payout.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Put it in the bank for something else that may come up. If you don't have a need now, you may later.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
Buy something nice worth a $100. Then make a video stating your doing a giveaway. Your views and subscribers might double, triple, etc. Then you''ll end up receiving $1000 next time. :D

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Since you have to ask, I assume you don't really need it right now - in which case, I would suggest saving it until you know there's something you need/want.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013

It's not about short term thinking. It's about the big picture. If millions of people would save, they'd never have the need to be in debt. But they fail to do the math, $100 at a time add's up fast. Before you know it you've got thousands.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Give some of it to a good cause. Then you will feel okay about blowing the rest.
Also if there's nothing you need, spend it on an event.
Tickets to a show or a meal out with your girlfriend.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I'd agree.

However I can speak from experience, saving repeatedly makes one dangerously solvent.

Visa & Mastercard hate customers like me. I never carry a balance.

I own my cars & house too, further irritating my bank. :D
Living the dream :D

**** credit.

MathBunny123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Wow, thanks everyone! :) I was definitely not expecting that many responses. I'm just a teen, so I'm going to spend a little chunk of it on some small games and then I'll save it up. :D I initially wanted an eReader, but I guess I could use that $$$ for something like a giveaway on YouTube, it might help. :p

Thanks everyone for your responses! I appreciate each one. :)

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Definitely don't save it. Spend it. I'm not saying saving money is bad, but this is only $100 and you're a teen. You have the rest of your life to make money. Some people spend so much time saving money they never get to enjoy all the money they saved. Your money ain't good for anything after you're dead anyway.

MathBunny123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Definitely don't save it. Spend it. I'm not saying saving money is bad, but this is only $100 and you're a teen. You have the rest of your life to make money. Some people spend so much time saving money they never get to enjoy all the money they saved. Your money ain't good for anything after you're dead anyway.
My dad told me to buy books( :( ), but I'm probably going to save up for a tablet or a nice external hard-drive. :D Thanks!