Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Trooper is searching for fingerprints now. Reason I didn't call the police earlier is because I honestly thought my brother did it and was strapped for cash. Then he got robbed so it didn't add up. They only seem to come by when no cars are at the house, which is why we set up a surveillance system. Why they came 4 times instead of taking things all at once? No idea.

----------

We have hidden security cameras around the house now that detect motion for that exact purpose. Plus they haven't stopped by in over a week.

----------

Thanks. We already thought of an insurance claim, unfortunately the deductible is $2500, which makes no sense to use. From your experience, did you get your property back or reimbursed for it? Or did the guy just get time if he couldn't pay it back or something (if they ever found him)?

You thought your brother, who runs a 'successful export business', stole your stuff and you didn't even ASK him about it?

Hey maybe your brother IS doing it and he 'stole' something of his own to confuse you.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Trooper is searching for fingerprints now. Reason I didn't call the police earlier is because I honestly thought my brother did it and was strapped for cash.

I thought he was supposed to be making millions from that shady deal with the Poles.

First instinct was to call the police and they told us not to set the alarm so it doesn't "alarm" the person when they walk in.

If the cops told you that, you have the most incompetent police ever. The entire point of an alarm is to scare them off when they enter. Not that you'd know, since you didn't arm it even after being robbed three times.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Recently, my home was burglarized. We have an alarm system and pad lock on our garage door entrance which is the main entrance we use. Oddly, they came 4 times; once on the 29th of March, next on the 4th, then on the 8th and 9th of this month. My Xbox One got stolen on the 29th, PS4 stolen on the 4th, iPad Air and my brothers Xbox One on the 8th and my brothers sunglasses and they moved my TV from on top of a shelf to the floor of my bedroom on the 9th. They also tried busting into my brothers in wall safe (this is my brother with the sketchy overseas business) that absolutely no one except family knew about). For what it's worth, my iPad has 4G capabilities and is in lost mode but it's offline - I'd assume they took the SIM card out. On the 10th, we called the police and an investigation was started. We were questioned and had a decent idea of who it was.
Backing up to the 9th, the last burglary, my neighbor whom I've never met or talked to before saw an older car pull up to her house and a guy in a white shirt and jeans walk towards my house. Unfortunately, she didn't see if he walked out with anything. Going forward - the next day we get fingerprints collected. They don't find anything. A couple days later, my brother gets contacted from an old friend who has a history of stealing, just not from us. He told him he was fired from CVS, his place of work, for stealing cartons of cigarettes and that he's strapped for cash. We call the police and tell them ASAP, we give all the information we have on him: full name, phone #, Facebook... Just no address as we don't know where he lives exactly. The investigation is still ongoing and we have them collecting fingerprints tomorrow morning on my TV to see if they could find any matches. My main question is what should we do next? Wait it out? Could we get him for circumstantial evidence? Also, if found guilty, will he have to pay us back if the stuff was sold, which I assume it was? There have been no visits since the 9th. Our neighbor is willing to testify for us. Any advice is appreciated. Value is approx. $2k.

Are you any way related to the Baron von Münchhausen?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Trooper is searching for fingerprints now. Reason I didn't call the police earlier is because I honestly thought my brother did it and was strapped for cash. Then he got robbed so it didn't add up. They only seem to come by when no cars are at the house, which is why we set up a surveillance system. Why they came 4 times instead of taking things all at once? No idea.

I love how the details of your fable trickle out.

Renzatic

Suspended
First instinct was to call the police and they told us not to set the alarm so it doesn't "alarm" the person when they walk in.

That's...uh...kind of the reason people install home security systems, Squilly. Most buglars don't want a violent confrontation. They want to get in, get your stuff, and get out while drawing as little attention to themselves as possible. The loud, blaring sirens that can be heard from half a mile away act as a deterrent to that.

And hell, even if the police didn't want you to doing anything that could potentially drive your burglar from steal-mode to kill-mode, they should've damn well known you could set a silent alarm that could inform the appropriate authorities of a break-in while you're away.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
You thought your brother, who runs a 'successful export business', stole your stuff and you didn't even ASK him about it?

Hey maybe your brother IS doing it and he 'stole' something of his own to confuse you.

No, talking about the cops coming over didn't phase him especially after his stuff got stolen.

----------

I thought he was supposed to be making millions from that shady deal with the Poles.

If the cops told you that, you have the most incompetent police ever. The entire point of an alarm is to scare them off when they enter. Not that you'd know, since you didn't arm it even after being robbed three times.

The goal is to get them to come back so we can figure out who it is, not scare them off. As crazy as it sounds we want them to steal something else.

----------

Nope.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
No, talking about the cops coming over didn't phase him especially after his stuff got stolen.

What is the likelihood of the cops 'catching' him if he were the culprit? His fingerprints are already there right? He could be posing as a victim to deflect suspicion, and he could be playing a delicate game by inviting the cops over. You think, "Hey he wouldn't do that if he stole the stuff!"

You're playing right into his hand!!!! Squilly my friend, you gotta ratchet up your paranoia. You've been robbed FOUR times!!!!!

:rolleyes:;)

----------

Nope.

This is what I love about you.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
On one hand I'm amazed someone would actually waste their time sitting at a computer making up stories and telling them to other people, but on the other hand it's just too stupid to actually be true.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

Why would it phase him? His fingerprints are already all over the house because he lives there. It's not like the cops will find his prints and then think he's a suspect.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

Did you even read the Wikipedia article on him to understand the joke ;)

I've only heard Münchhausen referred to in the medical sense (like my cousin who I am pretty sure is making up the fact that her son has autism) but seems like it could apply here too.....

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Trooper is searching for fingerprints now. Reason I didn't call the police earlier is because I honestly thought my brother did it and was strapped for cash. Then he got robbed so it didn't add up. ....

As mobilehaathi says...

No, talking about the cops coming over didn't phase him especially after his stuff got stolen......
I'm with mobilehaathi here I think.

However.... was there an actual 'break in' - as in doors or windows forced open, or did they have access to keys etc.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Why would it phase him? His fingerprints are already all over the house because he lives there. It's not like the cops will find his prints and then think he's a suspect.

Makes more sense being the other guy.

----------

I've only heard Münchhausen referred to in the medical sense (like my cousin who I am pretty sure is making up the fact that her son has autism) but seems like it could apply here too.....

Yes, I did actually.

----------

As mobilehaathi says...

I'm with mobilehaathi here I think.

However.... was there an actual 'break in' - as in doors or windows forced open, or did they have access to keys etc.

We don't know how they got in. He may have known our padlock pin. If it were my brother, explain the car in front of my neighbors house.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014

How do you make up the fact that your kid is autistic? He either is or isn't.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Does he show any signs of it though ?
No clue, I stay far away from that fustercluck of a family. I guess I shouldn't accuse her of lying, but it would not surprise me at all though. If you knew that family, you'd understand why I think she might be full of it. Her mother and grandmother were just as nuts.

If it were my brother, explain the car in front of my neighbors house.

Salesman? Dominos delivery driver who realized he was at the wrong house? Process server trying to serve your brother papers for his shady and probably illegal Polish iPad scam? Mormons?

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
No clue, I stay far away from that fustercluck of a family. I guess I shouldn't accuse her of lying, but it would not surprise me at all though. If you knew that family, you'd understand why I think she might be full of it. Her mother and grandmother were just as nuts.

I can understand, I have crazy relatives who I avoid as well.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011

If the cop really told him that then it's probably the cop who is burgling him. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.