Got it!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by DZL, Aug 14, 2007.

1. DZL macrumors regular

Fellas -

Received the Mac Pro last nite -

Setup was a breeze -

Now, I just have to install bootcamp, install windows xp pro, and install 3ds max (the only program i will use with xp).

And I gotta install photoshop, illustrator, flash, and after effects on the OSX.

Coming from the PC side, i'm very impressed with this machine so far - aesthetically, it's incredible. The 30" monitor is obscene. I haven't had any time to really test it's speed, as none of the above programs are installed. After only a few minutes tinkering with OSX, I feel pretty comfortable - and I've never used it before last nite.

I still have to install the bluetooth module (#1 wire, I know!), and I have 4GB's of ram on the way from Omni ($297) - so I should be cooking with crisco by the weekend...

any other thoughts/suggestions?

I'll post some pictures by the weekend --

Thanks, again, to ALL who helped me with this purchase -

DZL.

2. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Make sure you make a sign and hold it over the Mac Pro when you take the picture. The sign should read: "I'm a traitor". lol :p:p:D

Good luck with the machine DZL. And let us know how it goes with the memory install. Be sure to use it a lot between now and then so you can get a good sense of how the performance increase really is.

3. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

:D lol

I'd like to see that pic too!!! Congrats on the new toy, we all know that you are going to have more fun with it than a typical PC

Enjoy!!

4. DZL thread starter macrumors regular

haha - maybe i will take a pic with the sign!!!

i will install some pretty memory intensive software tonite, so I'll have a couple days to use it before the 4GB's show up -- I'll set up a scene, and do some test renders before/after the RAM boost.

5. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

NICE

:apple:

6. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I like that color. :D

Congrats DZL!

7. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Sweet deal! I (heart) my MacPro and I'm sure you will too.
    A question about the BT module though; Was this something CTO or purchased as parts or what? I never bothered with getting the measly $29 upgrade, but in retrospect should have. Apple said they'd do the install if I lug the beast into an Apple store, but that's a ways away.

Just curious to know what you meant. -AB

8. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Congrats!

Few problems with Bootcamp (I have 9GB of RAM, 8 Core 3.0Ghz Mac Pro). First Windows will not recognize more than 2GB of RAM. Second, if you have the wireless bluetooth Apple mouse/keyboard, you will have to reset them everytime you get into Windows......and you might have a few exclamation marks in device manager, but don't worry about those. Also I have the ATIX1900 and under Windows, it treats port 2 as port 1 and port 1 as port 2...and there is the crazy flicker upon boottime and sometimes I boot into a scrambled screen so I have to hard reset...but other than these, Windows is fully usable.

Good luck!

9. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

I hated Windows on the MacPro... So i dumped it and forced myself to get everything I needed done on OS X. I know this isn't an option for everyone, but it seemed every time I booted under Windows *something* was acting funny.

10. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

11. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Works flawlessly here. I made a WinClone copy of the image of a working version. The only thing that pisses me off is the bluetooth keyboard issue (Wireless). My Wacom tablet is USB anyways, so it's only the keyboard issue. October looks ok for me if they fix this problem.

12. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Am I missing something?

Did your system not come with the bluetooth module installed?

I was told by Apple that if you purchased it without the Bluetooth module that you could not buy that module and install it later (although you could of course get an after-market USB module).

And, what is the reference to the #1 wire?

Just curious since my Mac Pro is on the way.

13. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

People have had some luck getting apple or apple repair shops to just sell them the BT module to put in themselves. Or there is always the internet where they can be found. I personally have 2 or 3 from when compusa closed their doors (along with 1 MP wireless module, destined for my macbook or mini). If anyone needs one, 20 shipped for it , new in box.

14. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

That's good to know. They told me it was integrated to the main board. So, at least all hope is not lost if you get one without :)

The reference to #1 wire... Is that for a home-made antenna / transmitter? Or, for a connection that needs to be made?

15. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

There are three small cords on the inside of the Pro - #2 and #3 are for the Airport card, and #1 is for the BT card. Each cord is marked with a number, hence why we call them that. :)

16. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

OK, thank you. That clears it up a bit. :)

17. DZL thread starter macrumors regular

i actually got it CTO, but it comes seperately - you have to install it yourself! (or get a genius to do it). i looked online, and it doesn't seem so difficult - just remember the 'BT' wire is not for the bluetooth - the '#1' wire is.

DZL

18. DZL thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, i noticed the flicker when starting windows - doesn't do that when i reboot in the OSX. i wish i didn't have to use windows at all, but 3ds max isn't offered for the OSX, so until I learn Maya front and back, I'm stuck with XP.

i don't have the bluetooth keyboard or mouse, so everything's fine there - just some buttons are swapped around (CTL and ALT), on some shortcuts.

thanks!

DZL

19. DZL thread starter macrumors regular

coming, man - coming -- i need to make my 'traitor' sign first...

i'll take pics this saturday, and post em. one thing i didn't realize; is that i have a glass desk, so the mighty mouse wasn't working - i actually had to go back in time to 1999, and buy a mousepad.

yikes.

DZL.

20. DZL thread starter macrumors regular

if you go online - there are several places that show exactly how to setup the BT module - what's weird is, there are no directions that come with the module itself!

the #1 wire needs to be attached to the module - then the module needs to be screwed into the motherboard.

DZL

21. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

You don't need to be forced to use Maya if you're good in 3dMax...

I hope Apple fixes the RAM issue and these few quirks...are you going to run 64bit version of XP? If yes, then you shouldn't have RAM issues...you need all that RAM for your 3d APP.

To make your life much easier, here's an app that will really help you changing the CTRL/ALT keys location to whatever you're used to already:

http://rapidshare.com/files/49637150/remapkey.exe.html

Hope this helps bud

22. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Thank you. I'll have to check those out. I thought it odd that you wouldn't be able to add it later. But, the guy at Apple said it was integrated in the mainboard. So, I guess he was just trying to keep me from buying without the adapter built-in :rolleyes:

23. DZL thread starter macrumors regular

hey, thanks for the link, SDAVE!

i just wish 3ds max came out with a mac version - i love that OSX! I can't stand to go back to windows XP.

question for you, can i install windows XP pro 64-bit on the mac pro?

right now, I just have a 32-bit version in there - but i'd like to take advantage of the RAM I have coming...

Thanks,

DZL

24. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

No problem :)

As far as XP 64, I think you need to find the drivers yourself, because Apple does not provide them :(
    So for most of the stuff you can find drivers, but some will be missing. It's worth a try I guess? There is a XP 64 trial that Microsoft has on their site....not sure how many days though, but if it works, then you can buy the retail.

3DMax and Maya are owned by Autodesk...3dMax is usually used for game creations (usually) and Maya is more towards movies, but obviously 3dMax is much older and has a bigger user base, so Autodesk does not want it to hit the Maya users...I use Cinema4D (Even though I used a bit of Maya on OSX before) and I love it. It's universal, as it was built for both Windows and Macs.

Hope this helps

25. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Your BT didn't come installed? My Mac Pro came with the Airport and BT installed and functioning quite well.

Weird.