Got my Learners Permit!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by DJMastaWes, Apr 23, 2008.

1. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

So, I got my learners permit a few days ago, and I've driven once (at night, and through a mountain). It's such a cool feeling being in control of a car.

I'll be able to get my actual license in 8 months.

I made this thread for 2 reasons. 1) just to express my level of excited-ness (that a word?) and 2) so that you guys can maybe share some stories about when you got your learners. Some tips on what not to do. Your first car. Recommend a first car, and anything else you feel worth mentioning.

Post away boys and girls!

2. bbbensen macrumors 6502

I cant wait till I can drive......

To get downtown (Theres nothing where I live.....), its a 30 min. drive. Cant ride bike, I will die (Cars, and coming back is uphill).

Only a year and 3/4ths left!

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I don't have my permit yet, but my dad has let me drive a lot since I was 12, since there are very few police in my town, My dad lets me drive pretty much everywhere. I know I'm going to be more prepared when I go to get my permit, thanks to him. :)

Oh and trust me, the excitement wears off after two or three years, believe it or not.:p

4. vchalupa macrumors member

Well, getting my permit was something. The only thing I can say to you is, avoid the city driving as a beginner because it's difficult. And when my friends told me it was hard, I didn't believe them because I didn't think it was an issue. I drove through Boston and New York as a beginner and freaked out a bit because cab drivers and other drivers are a little crazier than you'd expect. Just be careful and PLEASE be responsible! I know a few kids who are complete idiots and can't be responsible for their life when behind the wheel.

As for a car...depends what you want. Are you into manual transmissions? Either way, get something you'll enjoy driving but stay cheap. There's no use in getting a nice first car when you're not an experienced driver. Be sure to test drive any cars that you're interested in buying. Since you just got your permit, I'm assuming you're 16 or 17. What I would do in your position is get a decent car but nothing expensive for now. And if you're really interested in getting a nicer car, wait till junior year or senior year in college when you can afford a nicer car...unless you're like me who wants to go to med school. Then you'd be broke and you're prolly better of taking a train, bus, or some other form of public transportation.

Above all, just be responsible with your permit and soon to be license

5. DJMastaWes thread starter macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

I'm interested in sporty type cars. Anything with 2 doors really.

I did notice that I was really focused on like, the speed of the car and me staying in the lane when I drove. Thankfully, the area i drove in was pretty dead, because I missed a stop sign or two, and didn't look in my mirrors a few times. I think it was just the initial rush of driving. As I drive more, that stuff will come easier.

So, for now, i'll keep the driving on really empty streets.

6. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

Please be kind to us truck drivers and in return we will try not to squish you :D

7. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

Congrats on the permit. Please don't be one of those careless drivers on the road that feel they need to be moving faster than everybody else!

Also, look into an economic car, like a Toyota Corolla, which is actually quite sporty. You'll enjoy the better mileage (gas prices are getting out of control) and less maintenance (it's nice when your car just works).

8. huntnboy04 macrumors regular

:eek:, be careful, pay attention. always be aware of your surroundings.

9. xodonniedarko macrumors 6502

xodonniedarko

Are you into manual transmissions? [/QUOTE]

I am :).

Getting my permit was awesome. My mom has a Benz and she had no problem letting me drive it. I'm not going to be vain or lie, but I'm not a bad looking girl, and the stares I get now when I drive alone are just priceless! Hm anyways. I've never really had a real problem driving, and things DO come to you quickly especially ifyou drive the same car every day. And drive in general, every day. I drove every single day because I was always going somewhere, and I work(ed) a lot of days. So experience is key!

I failed my drivers test two times though.
    And I really consider myself an awesome driver - I'll tell you why I failed so you can know what not to do.

The first time, I was super nervous. #1: never get nervous. And I drove my mom's car. #2 never drive a really nice car. It's true, the DMV people WILL judge you on your car (sorry if a DMV worker is here, but mine totally judged me) Because the nicer the car, the 'faster' you'll drive. Or maybe they just thought I was spoiled, whatever. So Anyways I was all nervous and I ran a stop sign that was placed mischievously in the middle of the parking lot. A stop sign in a parking lot when there actually were no other ways for cars to come... Yeah.

The second time, I went and she failed me because here in NC, you have to do a straight reverse, and when I went in reverse I looked in my mirror instead of behind my head.So that was the mistake that failed me. But then she also said I didn't look in the mirrors which was ridiciulous because I did but she couldn't see because I had sunglasses on, so don't wear sunglasses! Make sure you stop at the stop signs THEN Roll forward to see, oh and make sure you stop at stop signs in general. And when you reverse (if they make you), look BEHIND YOU!. Always check your mirrors, and when you do a 3point turn, don't go off the road. LUCKILY the road I went on was like freaking huge. :)

I have my license now and my after 9's (that's what we call them, because for 6 months you can't drive after 9pm) annndd it's nice. I still dont' have my own car because my parents can't buy me one and I chose to go on a trip with my church that costs me $1600 instead of buying a car. So my fault! but I don't mind driving her benz :)

10. DJMastaWes thread starter macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

I drove again today. Didn't miss stop signs or anything, but I still need to pay a bit more attention to the things around me. I find it hard, cause i'm putting most of my focus into my speed/lane/car infront of me. but again, I'm sure that stuff will come to me.

I'm driving an automatic Toyota Corolla. My friends brother, who's really into cars and stuff has a manual Supercharged Chevy Cobalt, and he said he'd let me drive it, but I told him I'll wait until I'm better, cause it's a really nice car.

I'm afraid of failing the driving test (the one I do in 8 months) cause like, they fail you if you make just one small mistake (like forgetting to look in a mirror).

11. monke macrumors 65816

monke

They're not that bad. Once you have enough experience, taking a driving test is just like driving with a parent except they won't tell you what you're doing wrong. If you drive the way people are expected to drive, you'll pass.

First time I got in the drivers seat, I stepped on the gas. Luckily I let go right away, but being used to driving around golf carts and putting full force onto those pedals is a heck of a lot different then driving.

One thing I found was that driving the limit is probably the hardest thing possible. Yeah, its the limit, don't exceed it, blah blah blah, but its pretty hard when you get people flying by you and riding your bumper. Once you hit two lane roads in the future its much easier because people can and will pass you instead of staying behind you.

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

HA!
    ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS!

On my driving test, I actually hopped a curb on a rather tight turn, with a rather narrow lane after the turn. And of course, it happened on my test after I had gone over the route at least 6 times during my driving lessons. I guess having a slightly longer wheelbase will do that.
    Anyways, it's supposed to be an immediate fail, but I guess the tester didn't notice.

And depending on your state, make sure you have proof of insurance. I almost had to reschedule my test because of that. :mad:

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i loooovvvvveeeee driving. been driving for 7 years (am 23) and love it (should i say it again? lol)
    cars are the one thing i am more interested in than computers which is saying something

i have a 1990 celica gts and it is great

however, i did just buy a 2008 kawasaki ninja 250r mainly for commuting, fun with the added plus of great gas mileage (70mpg). figured id buy myself a bday and graduation present and cant wait to get it

now i just need to get a motorcycle license!

do remember to wear a seatbelt and i would recomend getting a manual for sure

so much more fun to drive a stick than a boring automatic.......

14. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

You will get used to all the things you need to do when driving, and if you are or want to be a decent driver there are a lot of things you have to do.

Not only do you need to be conscious of the speed and where you are in your lane but you should be very conscious of what others are doing. Do not fall into the mindset that other drivers are paying attention to you and you can let your guard down.

Don't want to scare you with that harsh facts but you should know what to expect. I will say this again, there are a lot of things you have to do while driving and when you get your license and are driving friends around that will be an added distraction. Someone else said make sure you buckle up, that is the most important thing to do before you start the car. Making sure your mirrors are positioned right and you minimize blind spots, getting those little mirrors that you can stick on your door mirrors helps with blind spots.

Try not to fall into the road rage class, there is nothing wrong with getting upset and angry at someone's stupidity but leave it at just cursing them out in your car, no speeding up and trying to cut them off or anything like that, that is a distraction from everything else and besides, just think to yourself "whatever, I don't have to see that person again" let them get into trouble, not you.

Just remember, driving is a privilege not a right. Drive with respect to yourself the car, the road and others and you will have no problems and it will a good experience. Think that you are the only one on the road and drive like an idiot and I will plow into your little whatever with my big truck.... :eek:

Peace:cool:

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you sure those looks arent of the kind "why is a young girl driving a benz?" ...........oh SNAP haha:p

16. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I got my permit several months ago, but never actually drove until a few weeks ago. I've always been scared about driving, but I was actually quite calm the first time I went out. I get my license in November, and I'm actually quite excited since I can get bored easily in my vicinity.

17. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

That's awesome, congratulations. Better start saving your money, though. Does it still cost $500-$600 in Quebec to get your driver's license? That's what it was when I lived there 15 or so years ago.

18. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Congrats man. Getting your permit and then license is awesome. Its a whole new level of responsibility and maturity that you gain.

I just thought I'd share how ridiculous Connecticut state laws are as a story. When you turn 16 you are eligible to get your permit. After 30 days you can drive on the highway (First time is soooooooooo frightening not going to lie especially when its at rush hour). During your permit period you must drive accompanied with someone over the age of 21 and you can have as many passengers as the car can hold. When you get your license, at age 16.5, you can only drive alone or with your parents for 3 months. For the next 3 months you can only drive alone or with your family members (parents, brothers, & sisters). After 3 months then you can drive friends and other people.

So basically...
    When you have your permit you can drive who ever you want with your parents
    When you have your license you can only drive your parents + you have to pay for insurance

Doesn't make sense to me.

In the past years many teens have died in my state because they were stupid and drove to fast. Additionally, their indulgent parents let them drive and bought them new cars in some cases after multiple driving violations and accidents. Driving too fast doesn't make you cool. Now they're trying to put more laws on us teen drivers because of the irresponsible drivers. So basically, just be responsible. If you drive 130mph, lose control, and hit a tree, it's not my fault, it's not your friends fault, it's not the state's fault, it's YOURS. Sorry for that little rant there.

Will you be getting a car?

19. DJMastaWes thread starter macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

Here, once you have your learners, you can get your license after 12 months, or if you go to driving school, after 8 months. During that time, you have to drive with someone who's had their license for 2 years or more.

I'll be getting a car after I get my real license. I want a 2-door, with leather seats and nothing older than like, 5 years old. I'll obviously have to start saving now. I definitely don't want a honda civic from like, 1991.

I wouldn't drive 130, ever. However, the few times i've driven, say the speed limit was like, 30, everyone around me was going like, 60, so I too was going 60. It's hard to stay under the speed limit in those cases.

Since my first post, I haven't missed any stop signs :). However, on two occasions, i had mistaken the gas for the break, so i accelerated when I had wanted to slow down. When my foots on it for so long, I don't know which is which.

20. JoshLV macrumors regular

Getting to drive is like giving you wings- it gives you so much freedom as a minor. I am on my second permit and it's about to expire lol.:eek: Just been lazy to go to the DMV and wait in line for hours to get my official license.

21. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Down here, you can get your permit at 15, and license at 16. It may not be smart, but we like getting things done earlier. :D

22. DJMastaWes thread starter macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

had I gotten it in October, I would have my real license in July. Now the earliest I can get it is in December.

23. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Congrats on the permit. But trust me, after driving for two years it's kinda like "Eh". But nothing really compares to the excitement of getting your license... it's pretty awesome.

Sporty cars are great, but for somebody getting his or her first car, the insurance will be a killer. It's usually recommended a new driver start out with a simple 4 door, 4 cylinder car. There are quite a few in that class that are popular: the Toyota Camry of course (what I've got; good car), Honda Accord, Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Nissan Sentra or Altima. Basically, anything japanese. The insurance is cheaper, the gas mileage is great, and you can go 200k+ miles with no problems. American cars are usually cheaper on insurance, but you unfortunately get that lackluster build quality, terrible resale value, and extremely unrefined interiors.

Oh watch out for those Cobalt SS's. They're fast little buggers!

24. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

When I first got my learners permit, I thought I was a hotshot and didn't study the book, because I was driving illegally before then, I live on the border so I can (kind of) get away with it. But the first time I took the test, I failed. Miserably. Then the second time I took it, I passed by >1< question. So in my picture, I had a half-embarassed picture. It was horrible, but its funny thinking about it now.

My first car was a 1995 Buick Skylark. Piece of awesome crap as I would describe it. I just kept looking in the Penny trader for cars and then finally gave up and was driving away and I saw a car on the side of the road that said "for sale" so I called the number and checked it out. It had a cracked windshield and the window motor was going. But I got it anyway and that thing was a ROCK! seriously, we get rough winters here and I never had a problem in the ice. Plus it has friggin awesome take off. Actually still does. :) I still love to drive my beast.

Congrats and good luck finding a car.

25. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Congrats on getting your permit. I still have to wait almost a year to get mine, because here, in Maryland, you can get your permit at 15 and 9 months, and then you can get a restricted license at 16 and 3 months, and an unrestricted license at 18 (I think). However, I heard that the Maryland gov't is trying to raise the age to get a permit to 16, so :/. I still have a while to go as I turn 15 this summer...