Got my new MBP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by donbenjy, Oct 15, 2008.

1. donbenjy macrumors 6502

Couldn't see any other posts, so I guess I'm one of the first to actually own one in my house?! :D Got mine at 1pm GMT in the Birmingham store, and my friends just told me they've sold out (at 2pm!). Unfortunately I have to go and do some recording, so I can't post a full report of how I'm getting on, but so far, I'm quite impressed with the trackpad, though it's really tempting to try and use two hands, where one will more than suffice! The gestures integrate stupidly well, but I'd have preferred to have expose for up, and show desktop for down, but I guess that's changeable, and I'm not that picky!

Not sure if this was possible before, but during setup I used a standard (not crossover) ethernet cable to transfer from my old mac. Twas painfully slow though - I'm pretty sure it was slower than firewire transfers (which i can't do because I don't have a 800-400 adaptor, and surpirisngly, the Apple store didn't have any! :eek: I'll post some pics soon, but yeah, gotta go now :( So I'm gonna leave it copying/software updating. One thing I don't like is the sharp edges are slitting my wrists as I type, but I'm not really sitting properly at the desk, so I think it's fine if you're higher!

Ask away people, if you want any knowledge - it's always so frustrating for me when new stuff comes out and nobody will answer your questions!

Happy macbooking! Hope yours arrive soon!

2. Dan 7.1 macrumors newbie

congratulations! gotta let us know how that trackpad works out. that is by far the coolest computer-manipulation device i've seen in awhile.

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

4. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

Wow - I can't wait to hear reviews about the trackpad

5. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Saw the front page after my initial post, there's already links to unboxing pics and also first impressions including the new glass trackpad.

6. xnitrorider62x macrumors newbie

xnitrorider62x

Lucky :p I'm sitting perched by my door waiting for the fed ex truck...

7. motoxpress macrumors 6502

I had not thought about that aspect of the design change. Good to know.

-mx

8. Palliser macrumors regular

9. guest8t88 macrumors member

Any word on the CPU type?
    Centrino Penryn or Centrino2?

10. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The Glasgow store had none of the new machines today. Here's hoping for tomorrow.

11. tony-in-japan macrumors regular

Check this out!

The glass trackpad feels like ‘silk’. Seriously.

Anybody else with an opinion?

12. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

How is the gloss screen? The the "more light" thing really reduce reflection and make the colors more faithful, or is it as terrible as many of us are thinking it is?

13. davem7 macrumors member

We must have crossed paths at some point - I was in the Bull Ring store from 12:30-12:45 at some point playing with the ones they had on display. Hopefully purchasing mine online at some point next week (HE discount :))

14. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Congrats, hope you and the new baby play along well together. Please return some and post some images, i'm sure the rest of us would like to see... I know I would!!

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

16. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Yes, how do you like the glossy screen? As far as I can tell, that is the only thing I am unhappy about.

17. thespyglass macrumors regular

thespyglass

Congratulations! Eeee, exciting! I'm guessing they're sold out here in Liverpool as well, then. Hope they haven't sold the display models, I need to go play! ;)

I'd also really like to hear your thoughts on this. Were you used to matte or glossy? Have a preference?

And any feedback on the trackpad - which sounds amazing - and the keyboard would be great. Thanks and congrats again!

18. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

i just got back from the apple store with my new Macbook Pro! I was the first one from this location to buy the MacBook pro! Some guy before me bought the new MacBook though.. LAME! haha i wanted to be first. But its cool. I am super excited. I need to see how all of these new features work. I already love the trackpad, you really cant tell a difference

19. donbenjy thread starter macrumors 6502

It's growing on me more and more to be honest! And the extra space really does help - you can contort your fingers into more awkward shapes than te previous smaller trackpad (I haven't used a early 2008 large MBA type one properly though). Not had issues with the glossy screen (I'm more of a matte supporter, but it was matte with a possible dodgy GPU, or glossy with an awesome new trackpad and it makes me look cooler!) But yeah, it's reachable from anywhere really, and it clicks just like an actual button. Right clicking can catch you out - normally on a MB(P) I'll use two fingers from my right hand on the pad, and click with my thumb, or my left hand: using three digits in all. With this, I only use two, so that's kinda confusing. I have the bottom right set to right click too, but I haven't used that at all yet!

I'd have to say that I can't particularly tell that it's glass though, but its really silky smooth!

Sitting higher up, it's not as much of an issue...this is my first notebook, though we have a MB at home, so I couldn't say how it compares with the old MBPS, but its usable, though not necessarily overly comfy. Also, my watch keeps almost knocking the front, but I suppose that isn't limited to this model really - just that distance from the keyboard!

Which kinda leads me on to the keyboard - it's much nicer to type on than the MB chiclet one tbh, as there are small grooves in the keys, so you can intuitively feel where the centre is! I haven't mistyped any more than I do on my apple white keyboard (the one before the chiclet).

:O I've just noticed they've gotten rid of the Enter key next to option on the right - its not a big deal, but sometimes its easier to hit than return! Obviously the numpad has gone also.

Tell me how to check, and I'll let you know ;)

Looking through System Profiler tells me that the superdrive is a Matshita UJ 868, so looks like there's gonna be no way to legally get around DVD regions! :(

So so far, my only frustrations are really the sharp(ish) front edge, and the proprietary mini displayport which means I need to spend £20 a pop for adaptors! Does anyone know (the Apple store girl didn't) if I could get a mini displayport to DVI adaptor, and then use existing adaptors on that? For instance - my external display is VGA, but has a DVI adaptor on it for my mac mini - would I be able to run through both? Obviously I can get a VGA adaptor, but I'm thinking of other situations where many of my friends already have DVI - <whatever> adaptors...could I just stick another dongle onto that to go through the mini displayport?

I'm also slightly annoyed about the FW800, because I'll need an adaptor for that, but it's a minor annoyance, and my backup drive has USB for now too! :)

Overall, I'm happy (but it's taking ages to get 40GB of data from my mini across wifi because I can't use firewire...hmm...

Pics:

Attached Files:

20. Kyrahlynn macrumors member

Hehe, is that what one calls "cutting edge technology?" :p

Sorry. Couldn't resist XD

I want to hear about the screen too- how do you like it?

21. 251920 macrumors member

Did I get it right? Does the MacBookPro have 2 video cards?The 9400M+9600M?

22. Aranince macrumors 65816

23. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

9400M and 9600 GT

24. donbenjy thread starter macrumors 6502

haha probably...I had a red crumpler bag, and was with a guy with a guitar :D Got the HE discount too- I love being a student! £58 for applecare iirc too!

Actually, when I first got it out and had it facing the window it was really reflecty, but it's fine facing away...I've just turned the brightness to full and it is BRIGHT though - I think it might actually outshine alot of the reflections! I can't see myself or my room behind me reflected with the brightness past 3 dots, so it's promising. I'm sure it's gonna have to be a road test type thing, and as I haven't moved it yet, it might be a while before we really know!