Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Well, I just got my Mac Pro in about 15 minutes ago, I fired it up and quickly found out that it came with an AirPort card pre-installed (when I ordered it said it didn't come with one). Did "About this Mac" and found it that is shipped with 6GB of RAM (the one I ordered came with 3GB). Then, to my surprise, I open up System Profiler and find out I have a Radeon 4870!!!!! (it was supposed to come with an nVidia GT 120). Also, I have 2 SuperDrives!!! And, that is not all. It was supposed to ship with a 640GB Hard Drive and I got a 1TB Hard Drive!! Absolutely unbelievable. I got like $400 of upgrades for free, plus the AirPort card pre-installed, which wasn't advertised on either unit. I can't believe this. Totally insane (but very cool too)!!!

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
That's way cool. :p. What processor speed did you get? The refurb unit still listed is the 2.9GHz flavor.

Congrats on the new HW.

JohnG

Whaditis

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
Congrats on the extra goodies, maybe refurbished is the way to go these days.

Nice surprise for a great price!

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
... When I looked at the order page yesterday there were 2 Mac Pros, one a $2599 Unit (3GB/GT120/640GB) and a $2999 unit (6GB/4870/1TB/2 SuperDrives). Apparently they shipped me the wrong unit

This was Apple who shipped the "wrong" order or some other vendor ?

WardC

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Here are some photos to confirm the config they shipped me:

screen1.jpg

screen3.jpg

screen2.jpg

screen4.jpg

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden

it's not like this is unusual, there are 10+ posts on this forum about getting extra stuff when buying refurb
congratz to you, but noone likes a bragger, and I would be careful posting about stuff like this when it's easy for Apple to discover the mistake and recall your computer.

Roman23

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
I Told You...

Thats what happened with mine.. and now is the time for you to get the most powerful upgrade for your computer.. the mighty W3580! Goto http://www.velocitymicro.com and ask for Matt Gloskey.. I get a referral discount for each person I refer..

the processor is: 599.. with shipping it is 603 or less than that.. Enjoy.

Here is what came with my mac pro.. I made a mistake.. two superdrives also came with mine. 2TB western Digital hard drive w/32MB cache.. unfortionatly, the airport did not come with it, however i got it installed at my local apple store.. 6GB of memory came with it like yours.. I consider my radeon 4870 HD to have come with it since I took it out of my 2008 and installed it..

Glad you didn't get that piece of crap GT120.. I destroyed mine as I did not like it at all.. too slow, and was making a mockery of my mac.

Remember too that because of all of this, yours was more expensive than mine.. though 2199 is not a bad price for a refurb 2.66.

Refurb also means that someone bought it new with those configurations and for whatever reason returned it and thus.. now you have it.. Also, just to let you know should you decide to get the dual processor tray, you are free to do so.. its only 3-400 dollars.. but it will require the processors and sad to say the processors are expensive, unless you can get a good deal on two 2.26's.

Unlike the duals, we have ultimate power here.. power to upgrade the processors to what we want.. well, within reason.. 3.33 is the tops. And yes, even the lowest of lowest will fit though I wouldn't get a w3505 as it sucks.

And also, the mac pro can be fully expanded to 32GB using 4x8GB chips and 64GB using 4x16GB chips - ueber expensive!

Well, I just got my Mac Pro in about 15 minutes ago, I fired it up and quickly found out that it came with an AirPort card pre-installed (when I ordered it said it didn't come with one). Did "About this Mac" and found it that is shipped with 6GB of RAM (the one I ordered came with 3GB). Then, to my surprise, I open up System Profiler and find out I have a Radeon 4870!!!!! (it was supposed to come with an nVidia GT 120). Also, I have 2 SuperDrives!!! And, that is not all. It was supposed to ship with a 640GB Hard Drive and I got a 1TB Hard Drive!! Absolutely unbelievable. I got like $400 of upgrades for free, plus the AirPort card pre-installed, which wasn't advertised on either unit. I can't believe this. Totally insane (but very cool too)!!!

Roman23

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
Ugh!

Yeah, the hitachi/LG superdrives are crap also... mine crapped out on me, so I got one Pioneer DVR-218L from OWC.. and even OWC told me that lg and hitachi superdrives are built like flimsy crap.

Plus, they are 24x both.

Please now, tell me your bootrom firmware: it should be this:

MP41.0081.B08
Your serial number probably begins with an E, right? I think that means refurb.

Roman23

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
Not all the time..

Ward and I were extremely lucky.. lucky for him he didn't get the GT120, while I did.. but I also had the 4870HD in my 2008 mac pro and all I needed to do was do the "ole switcheroo".. He also got a 1TB drive, while I got the 2TB drive.. I also got the same superdrives as he has, finding out shortly that the HL by LG and Hitachi are garbage and OWC recommended to me the Pioneer 218L-DVR which is what I currently have.. I took that one out of my 2008 mac pro also..

Now all he is missing is the W3580.

Congrats on the extra goodies, maybe refurbished is the way to go these days.

Nice surprise for a great price!

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
That is awesome for you, but it would totally suck to be the other guy if the boxes were swapped, and end up with a lot LESS than what was paid for. I imagine Apple might compensate the one that got rooked in that case. I wonder how often things like that happen.

Roman23

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
Rom revision of Radeon 4870HD

Mine says something different:

113-B7710C-176 - CALL FOR CONCERN??? Ward's is the 113-B7710F-176 = WHat does this mean?

screen1.jpg

screen3.jpg

screen2.jpg

screen4.jpg

Roman23

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
His mac pro is similar to mine..

except I got the 2.66 of which came with 6GB of memory like his, a 2TB Western Digital hard drive.. his is a 1TB Hitachi which I don't like as I bought one brand new only a week later to find out its got UNCORRECTABLE ERRORS on it and one pending bad sector - according to smart utility.. all other utils check out fine, even windows.

My video card was the GT120 - Was, as I got rid of it.. not a good card at all.. replaced by the radeon 4870HD that was in my 2008 mac pro, though the revision firmware has me worried though.. his is an F and mine is a C. I am not sure what this means.

He got a supurb deal on the machine with the airport installed, while mine didn't come with it.. but I managed to get it anyway.

Wow - now you almost got your moneys worth in terms of hardware with a '09 Mac Pro. Almost unbelievable. :)

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
replaced by the radeon 4870HD that was in my 2008 mac pro, though the revision firmware has me worried though.. his is an F and mine is a C. I am not sure what this means.

CALL FOR CONCERN???

your posts never make any sense. why would you be worried about this? -_-

OH WAIT B7710F DIVIDED BY B7710C IN HEX EQUALS "2010-07-30", IT PREDICTS END OF THE WORLD. CALL FOR CONCERN. :rolleyes:

WardC

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
except I got the 2.66 of which came with 6GB of memory like his, a 2TB Western Digital hard drive.. his is a 1TB Hitachi which I don't like as I bought one brand new only a week later to find out its got UNCORRECTABLE ERRORS on it and one pending bad sector - according to smart utility.. all other utils check out fine, even windows..

Yeah, it's Hitachi 1TB drive, but I am getting two Seagate 1TB drives tomorrow and a 120GB SSD drive which I will install tomorrow. I plan to use the SSD as my main boot disk, and only use the stock drive for extra space and boot camp. I plan to setup the two 1TB Seagate drives as a RAID 0 array for scratch and media files.

The upgrades from OWC are on the way and scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Also getting 16GB of RAM tomorrow too!

Roman23

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
Damn!

Looks like you don't have the 2010 microcode.. requires B08.. and it looks like I have it.. that sucks..

But one thing thats getting to me is the revision firmware for the radeon 4870.. yours is F while mine is C.. what does this mean?? DOes this mean my radeon 4870HD is doomed to die soon?

difference between F and C revisions?

Just checked...

Boot ROM version on mine is: MP41.0081.B07

Roman23

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
because I am ..

So, do you know what it means or not?? Here is it again...

from my mac pro: 113-B7710C-176
Ward's: 113-B7710F-176

So, what does it mean?

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
FFS, stop spamming about this, so his card rom is another revision, unusual? No. Does it mean anything? NO!

It simply means that ATI, sometime in production, decided to change something in the firmware, maybe "Hm, we can make the fan 00.1% more effective by replaceing this with that" and thus, a new ROM revision is created.

Roman23

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
Ok, thank you..

so, all that was is a revision by the date it was revised it seems.. ok.. it wasn't stupid.. I simply didn't know.

Remember your part of the bargain?? Oh, and did you get my message regarding congrats on going to the University?

OH WAIT B7710F DIVIDED BY B7710C IN HEX EQUALS "2010-07-30", IT PREDICTS END OF THE WORLD. CALL FOR CONCERN.

lpolarityl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2009
Ohio
FFS, stop spamming about this, so his card rom is another revision, unusual? No. Does it mean anything? NO!

It simply means that ATI, sometime in production, decided to change something in the firmware, maybe "Hm, we can make the fan 00.1% more effective by replaceing this with that" and thus, a new ROM revision is created.

You're quite pissed for no reason, he's just curious. :)

Congrats on the unexpected upgrades Ward! The same happened to me when I ordered a refurbished MacBook a couple years ago, got some extra memory, was a nice surprise.

I would have ordered a refurbished MacBook Pro i5 but I got such a good deal on a new one, I didn't bother.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.