Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TaKashMoney

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2005
Just picked up a 2.0 White C2d Macbook from the store yesterday. It is flawless from what i see. Great build quality, no dead pixels, wireless reception is excellent. The heating and noise are also wonderfully minimal. I can hear a very slight hum if I put my ear up to to the keyboard, but it is silent from where I am sitting. Overall great upgrade from my G4 iBook! Silent, cool and blazingly fast. Transferring files from my old ibook was also a breeze! The only thing is that my fingers need to get used to the new keyboard and slightly different feel of the mouse button. Otherwise, couldnt be happier!

Heres to hoping to no future problems, and that apple changed the plastic the used when the staining occurred....

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
YAAAY I GOT IT!

Arrived tonight, in really mint condition. No dents or odd shapes or gaps, no dead pixels, everything is great!

Just one thing... I ordered it together with a DVI adapter and a sleeve. The sleeve came hours earlier in a seperate box (!) and the DVI adapter is still missing. I wonder when it will arrive, if ever...

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
i ordered mine at Sunday night, close to midnight and according to tracking it has left Memphis so hopefully be in Quebec soon and i will get it tomorrow or Friday/.

spacecadet610

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2006
I ordered the Black macbook from Amazon (2 ghz 1 gb ram) last friday and received it today. I could hardly wait to receive it. I already sold my old white macbook on ebay a while ago.

So today with much anticipation I open up the box for the black macbook, and what i find inside is a white macbook, the 1.83 ghz 512 mb model!

I was very upset, Amzon says i have to ship it back and when they receive it they will send me a new one. They can't advance send me a new blackbook due to the high value of the item. BS, it's their fault and i will now be without a computer for a couple weeks.

Heck i'll just use it for a week then return it after the thanksgiving holiday.

What i've found:
- They've changed the layout of the keyboard compared to the old macbook. The ENTER key on the right is MUCH smaller as is the SHIFT key on the left. I don't like it as i tend to use my left pinky to press SHIFT key and now i find i'm pressing the wrong key by mistake. I don't understand why they changed this.
- In my limited use, it seems pretty quiet. Haven't really stressed it yet.

Anyone have ideas how i can pressure amazon to send me an advance replacement or at least give me some kind of compensation. I already talked to their cust service reps. I talked to the local apple store too and they say Amazon is not an authorized apple reseller so the Apple store can't help me.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Cancel The Amazon Order And Order From Apple Store With 2GB

I ordered the Black macbook from Amazon (2 ghz 1 gb ram) last friday and received it today. I could hardly wait to receive it. I already sold my old white macbook on ebay a while ago.

So today with much anticipation I open up the box for the black macbook, and what i find inside is a white macbook, the 1.83 ghz 512 mb model!

I was very upset, Amzon says i have to ship it back and when they receive it they will send me a new one. They can't advance send me a new blackbook due to the high value of the item. BS, it's their fault and i will now be without a computer for a couple weeks.

Heck i'll just use it for a week then return it after the thanksgiving holiday.

What i've found:
- They've changed the layout of the keyboard compared to the old macbook. The ENTER key on the right is MUCH smaller as is the SHIFT key on the left. I don't like it as i tend to use my left pinky to press SHIFT key and now i find i'm pressing the wrong key by mistake. I don't understand why they changed this.
- In my limited use, it seems pretty quiet. Haven't really stressed it yet.

Anyone have ideas how i can pressure amazon to send me an advance replacement or at least give me some kind of compensation. I already talked to their cust service reps. I talked to the local apple store too and they say Amazon is not an authorized apple reseller so the Apple store can't help me.
I would NOT exchange it. I would return it for refund and order the Blackbook from Apple store with 2GB. You need 2GB of RAM for longer battery life and faster performance. It is least expensive buying it with your order from Apple. Amazon does not deserve your money after what they did to spoil your Holiday. :( :eek:

Irish Dave

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2006
The Emerald Isle
Thanks for the reply!the reason i'm doing it through a shop is i'm getting it from a friend who works there(discount) also doing it through my company (vat Back!)..hence being able to afford the black version!!!Still though,i needed it for college...9 weeks ago!!!SOON APPLE PLEASE!!!!

thanks again and best of luck with the retirement!!

OK on the discount and VAT back, neat move. I hope your black MB arrives soon.

Thanks for the retirement comment, I'm going to be sorry in some ways and very glad in others.

Cheers
Dave :)

spacecadet610

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2006
I would NOT exchange it. I would return it for refund and order the Blackbook from Apple store with 2GB. You need 2GB of RAM for longer battery life and faster performance. It is least expensive buying it with your order from Apple. Amazon does not deserve your money after what they did to spoil your Holiday. :( :eek:

You are right. amazon doesn't deserve my money. Unfortunately i already purchased a ton of amazon gift certificates from dealpass (20% discount) so i don't have much choice unless i want to shell out a lot more money. Plus i plan on purchasing 2 gb RAM from Newegg for about $160 (after paypal rebates). I figure i can sell the 1 gb RAM (512 x 2) for about $75 on ebay... so the upgrade to 2 gb will cost about $85 or so.

Don't know if all this hassle is worth it though.

Chosenbydestiny

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2006
California
Do we get the same two finger scroll function on the macbook that the macbook pro has? I was just wondering since I'd be using a macbook for web a lot... when I get it.

krayg

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2006
UK - South of England
I just checked UPS and it says my macbook is out for delivery, so it should be here today! woohoo! Thats one day earlier than originally expected so im happy about that. Hope somebody will be around in my house to sign for it though as I have to go out in a minute! :(

reda

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2006
My exposé runs choppy (a bit) when my machine runs on battery power (even fully charged and in best performance mode). It runs really smoothly though when it's plugged to a power supply.

Do you have the same "problem" ?

Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo, 2.33Ghz , 2 GIG RAM

kinster

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
at last my 2.0ghz macbook arrived in Leeds, UK at 10:34am. I am pleased as punch.

Looking forward to learning to navigate my way round this O/S after many uses of windows.

rushmere

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
New Zealand
My 2Ghz Macbook was due to be delivered today (i'm in the UK).

Unfortunately, the UPS tracker said they couldn't find me. I phoned UPS, and they said that my address was incorrect, and they couldn't do anything about it, and were unable to deliver to me. They were very rude and totally unhelpful.

I then phoned Apple. Although Apple have my correct address, somehow they've given the wrong address to UPS, or UPS have messed it up, not sure which. They contacted UPS, and subsequently told me that I might get it tomorrow, or maybe Monday, or maybe some other day. No one seems to know for sure.

It's now more than 2 weeks since I ordered from Apple on-line, and I still don't know when it's going to arrive. Apple's distribution method to the UK seems slow and inefficient.

I tried to cancel, but they can't because it's been despatched. I'm going to send it back when it arrives - I'm not putting up with poor service like this. I might try buying again from a retailer at a later date. This has certainly put me off using the on-line store.

krayg

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2006
UK - South of England
my macbook just arrived! ive just unboxed it, and am just about to hook it up to the mains and do the battery conditioning that a poster mentioned earlier. Im so happy! its gonna be a fun night of playing on this baby! :D

Max Payne

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
Brisbane, Australia
How do I track my MacBook.

This is what I got:
Carrier Tracking Number: 80XXXXXX
Assigned Carrier: WALSH WESTERN UKDC

When I tried using Walsh Western or FLEXTRONICS LOGISTICS UK, they asked me for a Tracking Reference and a Customer Reference. Where can I find these?

rushmere

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
New Zealand
How do I track my MacBook.

This is what I got:
Carrier Tracking Number: 80XXXXXX
Assigned Carrier: WALSH WESTERN UKDC

When I tried using Walsh Western or FLEXTRONICS LOGISTICS UK, they asked me for a Tracking Reference and a Customer Reference. Where can I find these?

That means it's still on it's way to the UK distribution centre at Daventry. Once it's arrived and been handed over to UPS, the Apple tracking page will change to give you a new tracking number, and you can then track it at http://www.ups.com/tracking/tracking.html

It took about a day before my UPS tracking number appeared, and it was then out for delivery the following day.

Max Payne

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
Brisbane, Australia
That means it's still on it's way to the UK distribution centre at Daventry. Once it's arrived and been handed over to UPS, the Apple tracking page will change to give you a new tracking number, and you can then track it at http://www.ups.com/tracking/tracking.html

It took about a day before my UPS tracking number appeared, and it was then out for delivery the following day.

Well this is what I got in Apple track.

22 nov 06 90 75 truck arrived at final destination Asus Alpha, Shanghai 22 nov 06

I take it that the final destination is: FLEXTRONICS LOGISTICS UK., DAVENTRY, GB

In Apple website, the information changed from carrier not assigned to Offering me a tracking number and an Assigned Carrier: WALSH WESTERN UKDC

Now I don't know how to track it from the walsh western website.

rushmere

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
New Zealand
Well this is what I got in Apple track.

22 nov 06 90 75 truck arrived at final destination Asus Alpha, Shanghai 22 nov 06

I take it that the final destination is: FLEXTRONICS LOGISTICS UK., DAVENTRY, GB

In Apple website, the information changed from carrier not assigned to Offering me a tracking number and an Assigned Carrier: WALSH WESTERN UKDC

Now I don't know how to track it from the walsh western website.

I don't think you can track it at this stage. You have to wait for the UPS tracking number to be assigned on the Apple tracking page (it will be a long number starting with 1Z) , then you can see where it is.

Generally, I think Apple's distribution method to the UK, and the tracking, leaves a lot to be desired! You'll see from my earlier post that I've got past the stage you're at right now, but then my Macbook got lost somehwere, and I'm still waiting for news on when it will be delivered. I won't buy direct from Apple ever again.

Max Payne

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
Brisbane, Australia
I don't think you can track it at this stage. You have to wait for the UPS tracking number to be assigned on the Apple tracking page (it will be a long number starting with 1Z) , then you can see where it is.

Generally, I think Apple's distribution method to the UK, and the tracking, leaves a lot to be desired! You'll see from my earlier post that I've got past the stage you're at right now, but then my Macbook got lost somehwere, and I'm still waiting for news on when it will be delivered. I won't buy direct from Apple ever again.

Thank you for your help rushmere.

I ordered 1 MBP, 2 MBs (for friends) and 2 iPod Shuffle (1 also for a friend), all online.

The MBP was assigned to tnt and arrived on time.
1 MB arrived yesterday (on time), a friend's MB. TNT again. TNT are great and you don't need K+N for tracking.
1 MB and a shuffle did not arrive yet, used to be on schedule, but now not. Estimated arrival time changed today from 26th to 22nd! Weird, huh. K+N carrier.
1 Shuffle shipped today after 4 days delay in shipment. UPS, but no tracking information from their site.

Phishin' it

macrumors member
I should have said "calibrate", but anyway....

From the manual:

"To calibrate your battery:
1Plug in the power adapter and fully charge your MacBook battery until the light on the
power adapter plug changes to green and the Battery icon in the menu bar indicates
that the battery is fully charged.
2Allow the battery to rest in the fully charged state for two hours or longer. You may use
your computer during this time as long as the adapter is plugged in.
3Disconnect the power adapter with the MacBook on and start running it from the
battery. You may use your computer during this time.
When your battery gets low, you’ll see the low battery warning dialog on the screen.
4Continue to keep your computer turned on until it goes to sleep. Save your work and
close all applications when the battery gets low and before the system goes to sleep.
5Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or longer.
6Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged
again.
Important: Repeat the calibration process every two months or so to keep your battery
fully functioning. If you use your MacBook infrequently, it’s best to recalibrate the
battery at least once a month.
"

Thanks for the tip

krayg

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2006
UK - South of England
ok guys, im happy to say i am typing this from my brand new macbook!

I have been charging it and downloading some programs since i got it, the battery is nearly charged now, then i will let it sit for 2 hours with the chager still attached, then move to battery power and drain it as per the calibration instructions given.

This is my first proper apple computer, I did have a mac mini for a while, one of the 1.42ghz powerpc ones with just 512mb ram, just borrowed it off a friend for a few weeks, but I never got into it as it was too slow and the hard drive wasnt even big enough to fit all my music and photo's on. I will transfer all my photo's and music from my windows pc to my macbook tongiht using gigabit networking so should be nice and quick! im sure i will be totally used to OSX in no time!

Anybody got any links to threads with essential applicaions etc for switchers?

thanks

wildmac

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2003

thanks

Tell us what type of things you are planning on doing on your MB (home, business, graphics, photography, etc.), and I'm sure a lot of folks here can help out with suggestions....

kinster

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
ok guys, im happy to say i am typing this from my brand new macbook!

I have been charging it and downloading some programs since i got it, the battery is nearly charged now, then i will let it sit for 2 hours with the chager still attached, then move to battery power and drain it as per the calibration instructions given.

This is my first proper apple computer, I did have a mac mini for a while, one of the 1.42ghz powerpc ones with just 512mb ram, just borrowed it off a friend for a few weeks, but I never got into it as it was too slow and the hard drive wasnt even big enough to fit all my music and photo's on. I will transfer all my photo's and music from my windows pc to my macbook tongiht using gigabit networking so should be nice and quick! im sure i will be totally used to OSX in no time!

thanks

lol, nice one. This is my first Mac and just trying to get used to navigating around it. Just put Ruby on rails on it and all my apps run.

I'm looking to buy an iMac now, but don't think I'll be going through the stress of online ordering again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.