Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
accept scanned at EDC

and

Flextronics Logistics B.V., Venray, NL

=

My Apple is in the possession of Oranges :eek: ;)
...and will arrive here very soon, I hope! :D

dturano547

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2006
just got my new mac book. first mac i ever owned. Stock black 2.0 1gb ram.

Im noticing some of you have re-installed osx when it arrived? Is this something you reccomend and why? Is there a disc I can reinstall that came with it?

When ever I get a new PC I do a clean install just to get rid of the regular bloatware...is this why I should do it to my mac..well not bloatware on a mac but are there things I dont need?

i can get acces to Mac OSX, any version i should look for?

Also Im used to my silent dell. Not to boast it but I never even here a peep out of my 17" 9400. Not that my new mac is loud but it seems to crank up when i was moving some photos over an then adding them to iPhoto. Right now while im tyoing on it i hear a slight hum but I can live with it, its just the noise when it cranks up...should i be concerned?

Sorry about all the questions, fisrt mac and im just getting my feet wet.

Thank you.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Those questions should be worth a seperate thread, or a search before you ask, but to be quick:

- Every Mac (should) come with a system DVD. You can re-install OS X from this disk.
- There is no bloatware. The only things I could think of that you could classify as such are the trial versions of iWork...(Keynote/Pages)
There is nothing you "dont need" exactly - it could be that you dont want to use Garage Band for example, which is quite a hog concerning HDD space. But on the other hand, this app is great, and if you want to do some audio some day, you might need it.
- The fans are controlled dynamically and so, if the CPU is stressed, they turn on. Shouldnt be too loud anyway. And also, you cant compare an older 17" laptop with a spanking new dual core 13" laptop ;) I bet the 17 is a monster compared to the 'book, and there is much more room for heat dissipation.

I know a first gen MacBook, and the only sound that you could hear from it in normal mode is the low hum of the harddisk.

And now, back to topic ;)

dturano547

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2006
Thank you for your responce, helps out a lot.

Like I said I got my C2D MB today. I was so excited, based on fedex it was not supposed to come in till wednesday.

You could imigine how pumped I was when fedex rang the bell at 8:00 this morning.

I had just placed my order last thursday.

This is the best system I have owned to date! Oh and I have no heat issues, runs pretty cool for the most part.

CeCe

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2006
Canada
I got mine today. It's my first Mac and I'm not sure about a few things...

I turned it on by briefly holding the power button, a tone was emitted, then this weird screen saying that I need to restart my computer. I had the power plugged in and it has the amber light glowing.

Do I need to wait a bit or should it be okay, straight out of the box? I tried the power button (2nd time) and it made a noise, but nothing on the screen....there is however a slight buzz if I put my ear near the keyboard. now I'm a bit scared......

dane0

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2006
Århus, Denmark
Wow, so I've been playing around with my brand-spanking new Macbook for the last 12 hours in a row :eek:

Anyway, I didn't have any big problems with heat and fan noise issues, but at one point, just after installing Google Earth the fans just went crazy on the maximum rpm and stayed that way for 15 minutes without stopping even though the temperature wasn't anywhere near the hottest I've felt the computer. Well, anyway, I installed MCMfancontrol. Keeping it at 2500-2700 rpm as a minimum will keep the fans almost inaudible and keep the temperature in the 50 degrees area for regular use, which is in no way poor for a computer of this size, it is certainly not a lot hotter than say, my GF's 3 year old Acer...

I must say that I'm extremely impressed by both the Mac OS X system, the quality of the bundled programs and the quality of the build of this machine. The display of this one is just a BEAUTY, outshining everything with beautiful colours. It might be a bit of a problem for me when I'm going to use it for photoshopping, but I won't let that ruin the fantastic viewing pleasure that I have on this one. Watching DVDs is more joyful on this machine than on my 32" television set! I've got NOTHING to complain about and my money couldn't be better spent. Mac OS is worth every cent and dollar of the price difference to a Dell, HP, Acer, Lenovo or whichever company you'd get a laptop from...

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
I got mine today. It's my first Mac and I'm not sure about a few things...

I turned it on by briefly holding the power button, a tone was emitted, then this weird screen saying that I need to restart my computer. I had the power plugged in and it has the amber light glowing.

Do I need to wait a bit or should it be okay, straight out of the box? I tried the power button (2nd time) and it made a noise, but nothing on the screen....there is however a slight buzz if I put my ear near the keyboard. now I'm a bit scared......

A kernel panic (system crash) right out of the box?? Ouch!
Try to boot up a few more times. If it doesnt work, try to boot from the system DVD (should be with the Mac) by inserting it and booting while holding down the "c" key. If the DVD does boot with a similar error and you cant install the system, you most probably got a defective unit... :(

CeCe

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2006
Canada
Try to boot up a few more times. If it doesnt work, try to boot from the system DVD (should be with the Mac) by inserting it and booting while holding down the "c" key. If the DVD does boot with a similar error and you cant install the system, you most probably got a defective unit... :(

Thanks for the help, but I think I got it now. Just gave myself a scare, I ended up trying the power button a few more times......now I just feel kinda stupid, I didn't want to be the person who broke her brand new MB...

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
HMMMMM okay!?!?!
Just dont push the power button too often or too long, because...
Usually there is this function in place:
- push the power button once: Switches it on, if off. Put the system to sleep, if on.
- hold the power button down for about 5 seconds: Forces the computer to shut down, no matter what.

Maybe we have some kind of "user error" here instead, hehe :p ;)

Anyway, have fun with your MacBook! :)

CeCe

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2006
Canada

Thanks for the help, but I think I got it now. Just gave myself a scare, I ended up trying the power button a few more times......now I just feel kinda stupid, I didn't want to be the person who broke her brand new MB...

HMMMMM okay!?!?!
Just dont push the power button too often or too long, because...
Usually there is this function in place:
- push the power button once: Switches it on, if off. Put the system to sleep, if on.
- hold the power button down for about 5 seconds: Forces the computer to shut down, no matter what.

Maybe we have some kind of "user error" here instead, hehe :p ;)

Anyway, have fun with your MacBook! :)

This sucks, I managed to get it to load properly once then after a few minutes it tells me that I need to restart. That was as far as I can go with my MB. I was looking forward to this, waiting with everyone else, now I get this unexpected mess.

Since it kept asking me to restart the computer several times already, I call Apple. After an hour on the phone with the Apple guy, nothing changed...now I have to bring it in to a reseller to see if they can fix it and I don't have an option for Apple to send a box out for it cause I'm in Canada

circmiz

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2006
Canada
Hi Guys,
I am new to this forum. I ordered my black macbook from campus store on Nov 15. I have an estimated shipment day of nov 22-27 and I am pretty sure that they will ship it on 27th :( . What is the problem with apple? It says macbook will be shipped in 1-2 day(s) on apple.ca .
I live in Canada by the way. I did not custumize my macbook, the only option I choosed is mini-dvi to dvi adapter. I was wondering, if any one can help me understand this situation.
Thanks !.

Selenolycus

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I ordered my MacBook C2D 2.0ghz White from a company named Insight due to my company's financing policy on Nov. 14. Because they were out of stock I was upgraded to free overnight shipping. I was refreshing the item's page about five times a day to see if they had any in stock. Earlier today it showed they had ONE available. I shot an e-mail to the guy who handled my order and he snagged it for me, so it's going to be here tomorrow at 8:30am.

I love my current iBook, so much that I use it more than my Windows and Ubuntu desktop PCs, But the processing power the MacBook C2D is going to offer will be quite a leap over this computer. The ability to run Windows + Ubuntu in Parallels will be very, very nice.

circmiz

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2006
Canada
Hi Guys,
I am new to this forum. I ordered my black macbook from campus store on Nov 15. I have an estimated shipment day of nov 22-27 and I am pretty sure that they will ship it on 27th :( . What is the problem with apple? It says macbook will be shipped in 1-2 day(s) on apple.ca .
I live in Canada by the way. I did not custumize my macbook, the only option I choosed is mini-dvi to dvi adapter. I was wondering, if any one can help me understand this situation.
Thanks !.

Does any one has any idea about this situation?

Irish Dave

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2006
The Emerald Isle
Poor delivery times

I received notification from Apple (Cork Ireland) that my C2D MacBook had been despatched yesterday (20 Nov) and estimated delivery is 29 Nov. Nine days to travel 200 miles, it would be quicker to walk (nearly !!)

Dave :mad:

circmiz

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2006
Canada
I've read about people getting an estimated ship date of X day, and it arriving 1-5 days prior to that. When I ordered my 4g iPod that's what happened. I don't know if Apple Canada operates any differently than US Apple, though.

.. Yes, this totally sucks. I have just talked with a friend of mine, he ordered his macbook 3-4 days after me from apple direct. They give him an earlier expected shipment date. I think I am not gonna order anything from campus stores for Apple, after I learned that Apple does not even care about them.

isabel

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I've read about people getting an estimated ship date of X day, and it arriving 1-5 days prior to that. When I ordered my 4g iPod that's what happened. I don't know if Apple Canada operates any differently than US Apple, though.

I ordered mine on the 15/11 and it was supposed to ship between 20/11 - 21/11 to arrive between 22/11 - 24/11. I received it on 17/11, a lot earlier than expected, so I think the estimated shipping times given on the online store aren't accurate.

Why is everyone's MacBook shipping from China? Mine came from Sydney, Australia.

MSM Hobbes

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2006
NE Hoosierana
Ordered my 2gb RAM C2D white MB on 10 Nov. @ 9:30 am.

She left China on the 16th, heading to Alaska.
Left Ankorage on the 17th, for Indy.
Headed back north to my area on the 18th.
Arrived at my home @ 1030 am on the 20th.
Woman is shocked [happily tho'], what w/ 2nd Apple delivered in 1 week.
Critters are excited. I am beyond thrilled. :cool:

Expected delivery from 16th- 24th. They hit smack in the middle.

isabel: these Mac's are manufactured in Suzhou, China :)

CeCe: hope better luck is on its way to you.

Little MacMe next to its older sibling MacHumongo :p

Attachments

• 100_5690 b sideBYside 01.jpg
    100_5690 b sideBYside 01.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 128

BBGun

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2006
NY
not sure if it has to be 7 but i brought my macbook with 2 dead pixels and they said that many have it and it did not warrant an exchange. I dont know about you but that is piss poor. I just paid $1500 for a laptop with a dead pixel, loose cover, and a gap in the casing and thats not enough to warrant a return. i have never had a computer with a dead pixel, but a company that is supposed to make qualit products is gonna tell me its normal.

I agree that if your MacBook has multiple issues, Apple should exchange it. However, if someone only has one dead pixel and no other issues to speak of, then they're probably out of luck. If you check any laptop or LCD manufacturer's warranty, it is common for them to require multiple dead pixels before an exchange is warranted.

However, I would still press them on the issue (the sooner, the better). I bought an Apple CRT monitor years ago, and the actual CRT (picture tube) was set in the enclosure at a very slight angle, which wasn't a big deal, but after a couple of weeks of use, it made me feel like I was always tilting my head sideways just a tad when looking at the screen. This was very annoying and distracting. So I took it to the local Apple warranty shop and they politely debated with me about it at first. I persisted and, ultimately, they replaced it under warranty.

It never hurts to be persistent.
;)

krayg

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2006
UK - South of England
I just checked the apecode appletracker and my macbook has arrived at the EDC yesterday (20th nov)! So hopefully this means it will arrive soon.

The apple tracking page hasnt updated with anything yet, and it is still saying estimated date of delivery is the 25th november - which is saturday. I hope they deliver it sooner though, cos im away all weekend skydiving! (and the airfield has free wifi so it would be great if i could take the macbook with me!).

kinster

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
I just checked the apecode appletracker and my macbook has arrived at the EDC yesterday (20th nov)! So hopefully this means it will arrive soon.

The apple tracking page hasnt updated with anything yet, and it is still saying estimated date of delivery is the 25th november - which is saturday. I hope they deliver it sooner though, cos im away all weekend skydiving! (and the airfield has free wifi so it would be great if i could take the macbook with me!).

if you change it to British time it's the 24th :)

wildmac

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2003
Mine's on the FedEx truck! :D

First order of business?... cycle the battery. Second?.. reinstall OSX, without all the extra print drivers, languages, etc. Third?... after the screen warms up, be ready to return it if there are uneven brightness problems. I'll use it for graphics, so it's gotta be uniform.

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
OOOOO YEA...

Just got my Black MacBook, and omg its sooo good! I love it!!!

i got 2GB of RAM and its sooo fast, my MB has more RAM than my MP now!!! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.