Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
My thoughts exactly !!

Just release a dam GPS app already. Team up with Garmin or TOMTOM, this is the only thing stopping me from getting an iPhone

I've held off getting the iPhone as well... still using the Treo650 with TomTom Nav system... which works GREAT... I've taken it to LA, Atlanta, GA Orlando, FL, Newark, DE, Southern New Jersey, Myrtle Beach, SC and Philadelphia, PA...and TomTom has been DEAD on accurate in getting me where I have to go.... Let's go APPLE, make a little deal with the TomTom people, and everyone will be on the road to iPhone Bliss !!! (pun intended):)

alexbo

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2006
Ellensburg, WA
Beware

I installed it without any problems, then when I hit the Log In button my iPhone hard locked. That is the first time that happened to me, and I didn't like it. I won't be using this program until a few more updates come out, and threads like this start having a greater number of people reporting success!

Oh, and what are you guys referring to a GPS app for? You can't make a GPS reciever out of software alone, and my understanding was that the iPhone simple did not have the hardware for it yet. Are you hoping you will be able to buy a separate GPS device to work with your iPhone?

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
I downloaded the actual Navizon.app from their website, is there anyway to get that onto the phone easily or is it best to wait until the filesize mismatch is fixed?

I'd wait. Try again, though, and make sure to have Installer.app update the sources. It will alert you to any updates.

Also, I got it on my iPhone and set my location online. I am still getting the error saying it has no data for me. :(

BTP

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2007
Ok, 1.0.1 installed and running.

It just loaded and found me in about 12 seconds. A *lot* faster than before. I tried it 3 more times and the longest was about 22 seconds, still much faster. Of course, this is not scientific in any way. Anyone else seeing this?

The only other thing I noticed was very minor, when searching it now says "Navizon Is Locating You. Please Wait..."

Last, I have been trying again and again while I am stationary, and I got the error message. I simply tried again and it worked.

Has anyone had success getting the mapping to work? Everything looks good, but when I click "get directions from here" and enter my destination, it has no point of origin and doesn't work. More work for the next update or am I missing something?

ben5959

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
It would need to have signal to more than one tower for it to be able to triangulate. Maybe its not working for some of you folk because you're not connected to enough towers. Just a theory mind you!! Or maybe the tower's locations have to be manually programmed into the software. ??

reminds me of that episode of Lost, they could have made it off that island if they had a hacked iphone with this app

Llewellyn

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2004
911 service

Hi, don't know if its been mentioned, but I believe this is the same method used by 911 services to find cell phone users in an emergency. Its great because it doesn't have problems with large buildings like conventional GPS.

LoneWolf121188

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Longmont, CO
Hey guys, don't know if you saw this yet, but...
http://navizon.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/09/a-version-of-na.html said:
This application will be fully functional for 15 days. If you like it, you can purchase it for $24.99. But for those of you who of you who may wonder what this money is used for, it isn't going in our pocket. It is used to pay the ones who do the hard work of collecting the data without whom this service wouldn't be possible. So by purchasing the software you are helping them make the service better. All of this is explained here.

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
something tells me 911 needs to be more accurate than 1/2 mile.

...theres someone dieing in the surrounding 1/2 mile radius, OMG! :rolleyes:

dodonutter

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2004
Deep South UK
Ok does anyone actually know how GPS and cell tower locating works?! Someone quite accurately pointed out that you need the GPS hardware to actually do the locating its not just software. you need to be able to see the satellites (at least 4) to get a position and it isn't an instant on/instant off procedure, the device needs to be tracking these satellites for a while to get a decent fix and every now and again has to download the almanac of all the satellites positions and directions so it can figure out where it is. If you want any decent update speed you need to do a crap load of maths very quickly meaning a powerful (relative) processor and it eats battery.

The cell tower tracking thing is done by seeing which cell you are on and what the delay is from it. if its a tricell you have a 120 degree arc which your in and the delay gives you your distance to the cell and usually the program just decides your bang in the middle. also cell phones talk to one tower at a time unless they are handing over which is a very quick process. I thing the thing where you upload info to the website is about the location of wifi networks which is why the location showed where someone use to live. the cell tower stuff should be done through the network providers servers unless they aren't co-operating and the cell tower ids have to be uploaded too.

Thought i'd clear that up for some people....GPS isn't magic

Sorry if anyone wants to shout at me but im tired and hungry so i'll apologise when i read this tomorrow

dodonutter

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2004
Deep South UK
Hi, don't know if its been mentioned, but I believe this is the same method used by 911 services to find cell phone users in an emergency. Its great because it doesn't have problems with large buildings like conventional GPS.

Also cos most people don't have GPS devices on them but are usually calling from a cell phone so knowing the rough location is very helpful. all they need to do after that is ask for something simple like road names or landmarks etc.

RAC use it in the UK to find broken down cars

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
Now someone write an app to interface a Bluetooth GPS unit with Google Maps on the iPhone and I'll be snapping the damn phone up when it comes here on the 9th nov :)

gazmac

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2007
London, UK
sort of works in London

It works but locates me a few miles north of where I actually am, which is Tottenham, north London in the UK. Will have fun testing out tomorrow on the way to work on the train.

jpturner

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2007
Says I am in Chandigarh India! I am in Merced California. My guess if it can't triangulate cell towers, it looks for a wi-fi hotspot name that matches a known location. Someone in India and Merced thinking alike!

appleguru1

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2003
Says I am in Chandigarh India! I am in Merced California. My guess if it can't triangulate cell towers, it looks for a wi-fi hotspot name that matches a known location. Someone in India and Merced thinking alike!

I'm fairly certain it uses MAC addresses for the wifi part and not SSIDs... Otherwise there'd be a million hits for "linksys" and "default" all over the world :p

In any case, when it works it seems to work very well...

I'd like it if it gave an "accuracy" report (IE, where it got the location from (cell, wifi, etc), and how many data points it used to do it (IE, a location based on 3 wifi signals and 5 cell towers will be much more accurate based on one from 2 towers... etc)

And it'd also be nice if Google Maps played nice with lat/long coordinates for directions :'(

bb0ys

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2003
Works great for me!

I'm in Boston and it gave me a location within ~5 seconds. It put the google map's pin about 200 feet away from my house.

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
Works for me via wifi in Chicago, not over cell network though.

What worries me is, someone has, at one point or another, driven by my house, recorded both my wireless network info and my location, and uploaded said info to this database. is that how i'm understanding this to work?

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
I'm in San Diego (downtown area) and get the "Your location could not be identified..." I'm inside - Ill have to try it outside... no luck outside either...

yagrax

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2007
Getting file size mismatch

Getting file size mismatch on nearly every new update of other packages (NES, etc) also in the last day or two when using the installer.app on iPhone.

I don't think it's a Navizon thing...

I turned off/on my iPhone and reran installer, and now it's working.

By the way, Navizon doesn't work for me in Southeastern Denver...

linshiwen

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2007
Even after setting the "home area" for my account, it says Im in Miami (Im in New York)

/uninstall

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area
I am in Antioch, CA. about 30 miles East of SF. No lock at all at home WiFi or near the house EDGE.

But had to go to soccer practice about 6 miles towards (downtown?) Antioch.

It began working about 1/2 mile from the house with accuracy of about 300 yds.

Could not get "Directions" to work...

Looks promising, tho!

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
would there be a reason this app won't load onto my iphone? or any app from installer app for that matter anymore.
haven'd updated to the 7.4.1 and am still on 1.02 for the iphone.
whenever i try to install apps i receive 'error during install script execution!'
WTF?!

i've had installer app on my phone for a while and have never run into this problem. tried shutting down the phone and that didn't do anything. will i need to restore and reinstall the program? that's such a PITA because you have to redo all your ringtones and whatnot for contacts, bookmarks, sms, wi-fi, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.