GPS System

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ChefMacDaddy, Dec 19, 2011.

1. ChefMacDaddy macrumors member

I was curious as to what kind of GPS systems you use in your car.
    I'm looking for a reliable sub $100 system, thinking TomTom or Garmin would be a good choice, unless an iPhone app with a mount would work better.

Thanks.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I use the TomTom app on my iPhone. It is great.

3. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

Is it worth $49.99? Especially when a TomTom can be sold for $80 with a larger display and louder speakers? I'm just curious. :confused:

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Google works fine with me... I never need the turn-by-turn because I always scan through the route and park if I think I missed a turn or something.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yeah, a stand alone unit is bigger, but it is another device to buy and charge.

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And Google doesn't charge for updates. ;)

7. wpotere Guest

Honestly? I use my iPhone (Navigon) for trips but for my own car a Garmin is a little better simply because it is less to mess with. I have used Tom Tom and Garmin and prefer the Garmin. You can pick them up at a place like Costco fairly cheap now. Also, here in the DC area the traffic feature works pretty good as well.

8. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

MotionX GPS Drive. App is $.99

Live voice guidance is $9.99 for the year, but comes free for 30 days.

Honestly, I purchased this app when it first came out and it was good, but not great. I just happened to reinstall it two weeks ago when we were getting ready to go on vacation. Since the first time I used it on my 4S, I got the free 30 day voice guidance again.

This app has greatly improved. With the turn by turn. I had no need at all to look at the screen and I didn't know the general area at all. Used it over 1000 miles. For $.99 worth the try to me.

Unlike tomtom and some other apps, it doesn't store the full maps on the device so you will need data. You can pre do a trip though and cache routes.

Other than a head unit that had a built in TV/GPS, I'd never buy a standalone GPS for car again.

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

If you do get a stand alone GPS, try to get one with free maps updates for life. I personally haven't touched my old garmin in a while, I just use my iphone but I can see how someone would just like to keep a GPS hanging in the car, with its bigger screen and just use that. My garmin nuvi was great while I used it.

10. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

You can buy refurb'd units from TigerDirect for around $60. I picked up a new TomTom unit on Black Friday for $100 from TigerDirect. Mine is a 5" screen with lifetime map and traffic updated. In the event you get a stand alone unit, make sure you get one with at least lifetime map updates as new maps can cost around $70. The traffic is so so and not really a necessity however it is nice to have.

11. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Well I paid $100 for the TomTom app when it was released, and it is worth it.
    1. I always have my iPhone with me, so no matter who I am with, I have a GPS.
    2. If you have more than one iOS device (up to 5) you only need to purchase the app one time.
    3. You don't need to carry and extra device with you when you travel.

Larger display, not needed. louder speakers? The iPhone is pretty loud(or you can hook it up to your car speakers). Though I usually keep the volume down or even off on GPS.

12. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

I've never really found the need for GPS over here. It's strange as there's no N/S/E/W markings on the Autobahn signs, just the list of towns, and since then I've really been forced to know where all the cities/towns are.

The only time I found it useful was when I was driving from Munich to Tuscany and Italy was a total PITA because the signs had no particular order and no regulation.

When I lived in the US, I didn't find it very useful either.

As to people using the iPhone apps, don't forget about the cost of the data plan compared to a standalone device.

Attached Files:

13. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

App doesn't use data unless you use the google search feature, turn on traffic updates and maybe other "high end" features.

14. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

Really, it just loads the maps at the beginning with data, and that's it? That's actually reasonable. However, I think I'll go with an OEM/integrated unit when I upgrade the car.

15. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

No, when you buy the app (tomtom, garmin or navigon) and download the app, it already includes in the maps in the download. That's why the apps are 1 to 2 GB each.

16. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

Really? I guess that also why it's so expensive. Is the whole US/EU covered?

17. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Different versions for different areas, Here in the USA tomtom offers North America, USA only, USA + Mexico and maybe more. Navigon lets you put on the states or areas you want.

I also have an app for Japan (gogo navi) I used while driving in Japan, data turned off.

18. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I don't trust those GPS systems...not much anyhow. I guess they're okay if you're lost, but I wouldn't trust it to direct you to where you're going without a bit of excitement (a few almost accidents because of outdated maps and plain bad software) "In one hundred feet, exit left. Exit left" (WTF? There is no left exit, only a right exit!:eek:)

I'm old school. I study a map before heading out to some place new. All I need to do is remember the names of a few key streets. As far as GPS systems. I find the higher end Garmin the least error prone of the units I've used.

19. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Anyone who takes a turn, because it says take a turn is stupid. If there isn't a road to go down, then don't turn into someones pool or backyard. The GPS doesn't tell me to stop at a stop sign or red light, but I do that. It is just basic instructions to get from point A to point B. You still have to follow basic traffic laws.

20. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

I've found some really interesting places by going the wrong way as well.

I was trying to head into France at the southern end of Germany (to avoid a toll on the way to Basel, Switzerland) and I ended up here instead:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitra_Design_Museum

Now I stop in every time I head to Basel.

If I really need to get somewhere for an appointment, I just take the subway, high-speed train and taxi, then I don't have to worry about directions and I usually get reimbursed.

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Me too, and I'm usually going to a new peep's house every week.

I note the main street, direction, and 3nd L 2nd R, in my run log, but I also have a tear-out map from the front of the phone book with me. ;)

22. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This is a huge plus... especially for me when I am in "cheap bastard" mode.

23. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

iPhone Navigon app w/ the Traffic Upgrade

Been using it since I had a 3GS. Totally happy with it

Before that I was using Yahoo Maps (printing out the directions and bring a stack of paper with me lol). Before that I had a Thomas Guide

24. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Attached Files:

25. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I use the 'MapQuest 4 Mobile' app for iPhone...it's free and does very good voice navigation. I have a dashboard mount for my iPhone, a charger and it plays over the sound system. When it has a route update, it fades out the music, speaks, and fades the music back in, so I can listen to my car stereo as loud as I want without missing a prompt. Really fantastic overall. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mapquest-4-mobile/id316126557?mt=8

If I were to get a stand-alone GPS, I'd make sure it had lifetime maps and traffic updates. The one thing I wish I had, as I often drive into traffic hell in Boston, New York and DC, is a Tom Tom with the smart routing based on traffic. I am, though, familiar enough with the cities I drive to that a quick check on Google's traffic before I leave will usually show me if there's an accident, and often I know better than the GPS what route to take. :)