Grades for College

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tjb1, Dec 16, 2011.

1. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I have been trying to hold a 4.0 through college...missed it my first 2 semesters due to hard math classes but got Bs in both of them. Last 2 semesters I have gotten 4.0s. Literally just got my grades this semester and I got a 3.93...because of a 1 credit tennis/table tennis class. I get As in Engineering Economics(With one of the worst teachers at the school), Quality Assurance(With one of the worst teachers at the school), Fluid Power, and Computed Integrated Manufacturing...but a 1 credit fitness class destroys it.

Sorry for my rant, but I am pissed to say the least. A class that has nothing to do with my major or how I do in my field is affecting my GPA. She actually tried to tell us that knowing how to play tennis would help us get a job...I will bet that no one plays tennis in my field, if anyone does its very few.

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

A 4.0 isn't going to do anything for you in the real world either.

3. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

Why attempt to get As if there is no reason?

4. Trav29 macrumors member

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Because very few students are going to graduate with anything close to a 4.0 so finishing up with a 3.7 or higher still means you did very well.

Getting your first job out of college is going to be more about how well you do in your interview than your GPA. And years down the line when you're applying for another job, they're not even going to care about your GPA, it will be all about your last job.

6. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

Pennsylvania College of Technology

I have a 3.911 Graduation GPA right now, 3 semesters left...one coming up is 17 credits and the last 2(senior year) will be 13 and 12.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

3.911? What's your complaint? A 3.9 or a 4.0 is not going to make any difference in the real world whatsoever.

8. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

Because it feels good to get As and a 4.0 in college. Im paying a hell of a lot to go here and good grades a reward. Seems you have the D get Degrees attitude.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Money has little to do with what grades you earn. In any case, yg17 is correct. Grades above a 3.5 are all the same.

10. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Best answer so far.
    Do you seriously think this will be a problem? Where are you planning to apply for work, if I may ask?

11. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Yeah, it might "feel well" to get a 4.0, but in reality it doesn't mean ****. Employers don't care about your numerical GPA. Especially the difference between 3.9 and 4.0. You get a diploma that says you graduated. If you get above a certain GPA, you'll get cum laude, magna cum laude, or summa cum laude. But the number is really irrelevant other than that.

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Exactly. As long as you have the degree that's generally all the employers care about. Of course very specialized fields may have requirements but they're generally pretty rare.

13. eric/ Guest

eric/

If you have the ability to get a 4.0, do it. Though there are many claiming, correctly I may add, that your GPA doesn't really matter that much in the "real world", it will make the difference between going back to school at some point for a professional degree and not. It can also pad your resume if you graduate with honors or in some sort of honor society.

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It's true that it'll help when going for a Masters or higher but he's sweating over not even a 0.1 drop. He'd have no issue even dropping to above a 3.0.

OP, In my senior year I had enough credits that I was able to drop a class (I actually received an incomplete) and it didn't affect my GPA on paper. Don't worry about it. In the long run this one class won't matter at all.

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Who cares?

Also, if you earned a B in a fitness class then deal with it...you signed up to take the class

16. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I had a standard job application that asks for your GPA. But, that never comes up in an interview. In any interview I've ever hard. I work in medical field, treating patients. It's all about your experience. Not just what you know in your head.

17. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It's not going to make or break anything. Congratulations for the good grades though. It's hard to keep your GPA as high as you did.

18. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Congrats on your good grades and realize you did better than most. And since employers won't care about an A vs. a B on most classes or if at all, just move on and do your best. Don't cry over that one class as there will be many to face.

Like one poster mentioned, how you interview will be far more important. If you get straight As through college but have no social skills, stereotypes will take over and it won't work to your credit throughout life from now on.

19. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

A 4.0 GPA is just a status symbol, just do well and don't think about it. It's what you get out of your college education that counts. And with comments like you've made in the past, i certainly hope you get a lot out of it because you really need it...

20. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Grades are whats wrong with the school system. Stop worrying so much about grades.
    Make sure you know your stuff when you graduate, that's all that matters.

21. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

Have to take it, 2 fitness classes are required.

Whats so funny? This isn't a WyoTech or TriangleTech, we have calculus, physics, statistics, and harder classes than normal colleges.

Honestly, I can't believe 90% of you are all like screw grades...dont worry about them...blah blah. Grades tell you how you are doing in a class, also grades affect funding and scholarships.

22. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

I think it's time for you to grow up. The biggest hurdle will be getting a good position after being edcuated at PCOT, rather than having a 3.0, 3.5 or a 4.0.

Harder than nomral colleges? What does that even mean. Every university I've been to/worked at has calculaus, physics and statistics. In fact, doesn't every high school have those classes?

You must be trolling.

23. thatoneguy82, Dec 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2011

thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Seeing your location, seems like you're in Europe. So you must know that European education pales in comparison with American education. That's why Europeans come here to learn.

And no, I didn't go to this school. Or one that isn't easily recognized. My college is recognized and within the top ranks. Your comment is just a bit ridiculous since a degree is a degree. Job interviews rarely ask for which college you went to. Also, you can't use the college a person goes to as to how smart or learned they are, or even social stature.

24. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

No, people see Technology and thinks its a damn votech school where all we do is play on ****.

Trolling no. I am pissed that a fitness class is screwing my GPA. Do I need to grow up? No. Sorry I care about what I can accomplish at the school I pay a lot to go to. Not even sure why it mattered what I school I went to.

Pennsylvania College of Technology is practically owned by PennState now by the way.

Thought I would add that since its so important where I go.

25. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

You care about a B in a ping pong class, but don't care about the name of the college you're attending.

Do you always miss the forest for the trees?

This is classic example of why tertiary education in the US is in the *******.