Grandfathered Unlimited Data Planners - What's The DEFINITIVE Answer?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by boltjames, Mar 12, 2012.

1. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

The clock is ticking and Friday is fast approaching, I've read other threads filled with speculation and semi-advice, and I really need to know what to do when Mr. FedEx shows up at my front door.

In order to keep my unlimited dataplan with AT&T do I:

1. Log in on my The New iPad, boom, magic, the UDP moves over with me.

-or-

2. Call AT&T on the phone, ask them to enter some digits into some system to make the move for me.

-or-

3. Walk into an AT&T store, give 'em both iPad's, tell 'em to figure it out.

-or-

4. Navigate the My AT&T website and enter some serial number from my The New iPad there.

-or-

5. Flip the SIM's if indeed they are compatible.

Does anyone have the real answer either having confirmed it with Apple or AT&T or are we really just sitting here waiting for a few of us to give it a try and post the results? Clearly, I don't want to make a mistake and lose the grandfathering but at the same time I don't want to hit 'refresh' on this forum and wait for others to prove out one of the theories.

TIA

BJ

2. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

This is what I was told by my local AT&T rep.

Log into the new iPad with the e-mail address and password for the data plan on the old iPad, if the unlimited option is there, you are good. If not, cancel out and bring it into an AT&T Store and they may need to manually transfer it.

This is what I plan on doing. *fingers-crossed*

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

There isn't one yet. I don't think there will be a 'DEFINITIVE Answer' until someone actually has a 3rd-gen iPad working on a grandfathered unlimited plan. That probably won't happen before Friday.

4. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68030

boltjames

Will that transfer the unlimited plan or will it create a new unlimited plan?

Because once we get through the stress of getting it over to the The New iPad we then have the stress of cancelling it on the old one.

BJ

5. Bheleu macrumors 6502

Definitive answer...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14464594#post14464594
    There is too, I posted it over the weekend in the other thread... Search is a friend.

6. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68030

boltjames

That says what we were told: "Looks like AT&T will continue to grandfather early adopters and the unlimited data plan".

It doesn't help with my question which is: "How does one keep the unlimited data plan and what steps are necessary to do it?"

Still don't know what we're supposed to do. Call ATT? Cancel the plan on iPad 1 and then sign up on The New iPad? Sign up on The New iPad and then cancel on the iPad 1? Leave both active for a month to let the system catch up, don't cancel it on iPad 1 for awhile? Don't do anything on our own, call ATT?

It's not a matter of if they'll continue the UDP- that seems certain based on the articles we've read and calls we've made .

It's a matter of how we get the UDP onto The New iPad. Your "here are a million guesses" post from last week doesn't clarify things, isn't definitive. It's Friday, it's 3pm, I want to activate my The New iPad. Need to know what to do to keep the unlimited data plan and not accidentally lose it in the process.

BJ

7. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

1. Relax
    2. Dont cancel anything. Just log in to the new iPad and it should transfer over. I did that from iPad OG to iPad 2. Lots of others did too.
    3. Take the price of your new iPad out of your sig. Don't be douchey. We all know how much it costs.

8. RMSko macrumors regular

Doesn't the new iPad use the same SIM as the iPad 2? If yes, wouldn't you just need to switch the SIM. That's what I did when I went from 1 to 2 and it picked up the UDP w/o any issues. I guess I may be wrong about the SIM being compatible though?

9. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

The new iPad is 4G LTE compatible so it'll need a newly provisioned SIM to work on those networks.

10. Bheleu macrumors 6502

One of my posts... In that thread if you care to read it...
    P.S. Worth reading my directions from last April when I transferred it from iPad 1 to iPad 2.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1129205

11. RMSko macrumors regular

Interesting. I just looked at your instructions (very helpful BTW), but when I looked at my IMEI on the AT&T site, it wasn't the same IMEI as my current iPad. The ICCID was the same, just the IMEI wasn't. My current iPad is an iPad 2 and my original unlimited data plan was with the iPad 1. When I switched from 1 to 2, they just switched my SIM. Is that why my IMEI is wrong? Should I correct it now or just leave it as is until I get my iPad 3?

12. Bheleu macrumors 6502

The reason SIMs should not be switched is because at one time people were pulling them out and putting them into adapters for iPhones and other devices. AT&T quickly caught on and suspended those accounts, as using them in other (non-iPad) devices was a violation of the terms for the account (and no they did not get their UL data back, AT&T has an monetary interest in killing it off in all legal ways that they can). They have a record of which devices are iPads to correlate them. The fact that they have not disabled it, I would just wait till the iPad 3 is in your hands and update the info with that of the iPad 3. Besides you end up causing wear on the contacts by moving the sim around, even if the old SIM was compatible which I do not believe it is as you need an LTE compatible SIM. The reason it is transferable is due to Apple, irregardless if this is iPad 25 it is still an iPad, and it is a recurring prepaid plan for the life of you abiding by the terms of the original contract (keeping it paid/billing info current) and that means it will never legally be throttled either. Keep your CC up to date, and your account email address current so you get the billing success/failures status. I would also keep a copy of all the data associated with the account in case it ever gets hacked. The plans are currently worth $450+ on eBay now and will only go higher as LTE grows through this year. AT&T is continuing to ramp it out in prep for the next iPhone, which is their bread and butter. AT&T LTE is faster than Verizon's, eager for it to get in our area, but I will survive on 20Mbps HSPA+ until it does.

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

If it ain't broke...

14. rkahl, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

rkahl macrumors 65816

TRANSFERRING UNLIMITED DATA PLAN (Without even turning on NEW iPad)

1. Turn off cellular data on your old iPad and POWER DOWN.

2. Goto https://dcp2.att.com/OEPNDClient/ from a Computer

3. Log into your Unlimited Plan.
    -select "Edit User & Payment Information"
    -select "Update Device Information"

4. Enter IMEI & ICCID of the NEW iPad.
    (You can find this info on the back of your NEW iPad's box.)

5. Done

You don't have to "Swap Sims".

15. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68030

boltjames

How do you know that this is the correct procedure? Sounds great if it is, but where did you get this and how do you know it to be accurate?

If those of us with UDP make a mistake on Friday, it's gone and we can't get it back. Need definitive direction here.

BJ

16. rkahl macrumors 65816

If you need "Definitive Direction", you did the right thing by coming to MacRumors instead of calling AT&T :confused:

17. pdawg macrumors regular

Problem with definitive direction is that neither Apple nor AT+T appear to have the same answers, or even answers when I and others on this forum have asked.

The procedure posted directly above ^ is one I've seen on various different sites when I searched for how to transfer the data plan. It makes sense to me. It worked with other transfers from iPad 1 to iPad 2. Although I have not tried it yet (why is it not Friday yet??!) it is the one I'm going to follow. But I will try it during the day when I have time to contact AT+T in case something goes wrong. I would not try it at 10 PM simply b/c I personally have no direct experience doing the data plan transfer yet.

18. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Yeah I was like, WTF? Why would anyone put the price of their device(s) in their sig? :confused:

19. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

To get a rise out of you. He succeeded! :(

20. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Really that's the reason?

21. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

He also lists his three Rolex watches and a trophy wife. I say more power to him. My wife would slap me silly, with the new iPad no less, if I had a sig like that... :rolleyes:

22. utekineir macrumors 6502

Thanks for the thread, very informative responses.

Love the flaming douche sig.

23. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

[​IMG] I had to read his sig, I stopped reading it at the price of the iPad - It wasn't until you mentioned it. All I can say is wow.

24. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

im just gonna pop in to my corp att store, get a new lte sim and have them swap the plan. should be no prob keeping the unlimited plan. with the 3 gb cap on being throttled though youre almost better to have a tiered plan

25. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68030

boltjames

I am the 1%. Don't be a hater.

BJ